• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophman
    232 I6
    • Mar 05, 2015

Repair dashpad or run without

I have removed my dashpad to paint the cab of my J4500.
    It's pretty beat up (speaker mesh gone and a crack down the centre) I'm in two minds about repairing the dashpad or running without.... Is anyone running without a pad?
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

I swapped to a late 60's dash in my 84. Even if I'd had the pad for it I would have left it off. Had to fill the holes.

The trucks and Cherokees' pads were't as ugly since they didn't cover the face of the dash on the passenger side so in your case I might keep it.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• mwood65
      258 I6
      • Jul 17, 2017

I just tore mine out down to the steel underneath.

I have to close up the holes in the steel now, sand & paint it.

I prefer the steel dash, especially here in AZ. the sun isn't kind to dash pads.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Depends on your sense of esthetics? My 63 Wag was a pre-pad days car and looks period correct/good. On a later 72 J-4500 the pad was sun damaged/aged and it wasn't expensive to have an auto upholsterer recover it. Next time if the foam pad is sound I'll give it a shot to recover it myself. It's not a complicated geometric shape. If you're dealing with a later 3 pod dash and the pad extends down the pass side front of the dash you'll have to decide where you want to spend your labor/time/money. Recover or fix the holes in your dash and repaint. Not a fan of the later style huge pads but prolly still fix it rather than weld/grind/repaint the steel dash. Your truck, only you can make that judgement call.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• SJTD
          304 AMC
          • Apr 26, 2012

Just thought of something. On the '73 - '85 (or whatever) design the fit of the instrument cluster without the pad would be something to consider.

Might be a big gap around it without it.
          Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Towtruck
            350 Buick
            • Oct 11, 2001

I liked the modern three pod instrument cluster, and the old style radio speaker on the passenger side....looks balanced to my eye. So I made my own. They were cut and rejoined somewhere just to the left of center...long time ago. Fairly easy except that the new style windshield defroster vent had to be transplanted into the old passenger side dash piece in order to get the factory air conditioner to fit.

DSCN1518 by Rufus, on Flickr
            J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
              304 AMC
              • May 01, 2004

I prefer the metal dash. We put a 69 dash in my 88. Modified for some stuff, but it bolted right in. We did have to modify the hole where the steering column passed through as they moved the column in later years.

One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
              http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
              95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
              50 CJ3A
              77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by gophman
                I have removed my dashpad to paint the cab of my J4500.
                It's pretty beat up (speaker mesh gone and a crack down the centre) I'm in two minds about repairing the dashpad or running without.... Is anyone running without a pad?
                Is yours a "73 or is it earlier?

Pre '73 looks fine without the pad, I'm not sure what the '73 looks like.
                '72 J4500

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

No mention of what year you have.. I tried to recover an early kaiser eyebrow dash pad and it did not go well. The skin is a plastic with a vinyl grain. Using 4 way stretch ATV seat vinyl I built a jig that held a used metal 1970 dash so I could actually attach the dash pad for the rework. The inital results were beautiful. A month later it failed miserably. The glue I used reacted with the original plastic skin and almost melted it to a soft mess. The 4 way vinyl shrunk and pulled loose everywhere starting at the eyebrows. Essentially it was a show stopper. I was fortunate to know some one with 11 acres of jeeps and was able to score a decent used early eyebrow pad to get the rig done. I am not done messing with dash pads. I have several trashed ones that won't be a loss if I have another failure. I will nail it.

I have a later black dash pad that covers where the speaker screen is. I believe it is a 73ish and up. It is in super good shape and very usable.
                  If that is what you are looking for, I have one. Shipping and even packing it up will be a pain. I would expect 60-75 bucks for shipping. Not sure.
                  PM me if it will help you. I don't want a million dollars for it. But I won't give it away either. So PM if you are interested. I do not have any early kaiser eyebrow pads that are worth a darn. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I see you are in Scotland. That could be difficult shipping something like a big dash pad. And expensive.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                  1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra
                  2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                  Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

Towtruck, what you did with your dash is very cool.
                    Melford1972 says...
                    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra
                    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                    X