Tell me your top wiring tips (my harness is in the mail)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 67GMC
    232 I6
    • Mar 13, 2016

Tgreese is giving great advice.

From experience, if you're going to re-use a regulator, buy a new one. They make a solid state version that replaces the stock mechanical. The mechanical ones tend to fail (although cheap to replace).

Also, I think the connectors on the solenoid for the NSS are the same as the temp sender connector. You can still get these push-on connectors from Amazon and probably RockAuto if you want to be able to pull them off. A nut and ring connector will work too like you have.

I had issues with that exciter wire so I would trace it right back to the firewall to make sure it's in good shape.

Great thread.
    My Stable:
    1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
    2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
    2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
    2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
    1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
    1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• elskeptico
      350 Buick
      • Sep 03, 2003

Originally posted by 67GMC
      I've also seen a fair bit of poor soldering that causes sharp points that poke through the insulation and cause issues.
      This is a good point for anything soldered and wrapped with shrink tube or electrical tape. Often the solder creates these little peaks that poke through, or just a bit of the wire ends up poking out.

Something I started doing is after soldering a joint, I take some pliers and crimp the soldered joint all the way around. This flattens out any poky peaks so they
      1979 Cherokee Chief S, 360, TFI, Part-time conversion, rust

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.

Comment

• Rusty76
        258 I6
        • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks everybody. Yes tgreese is a wiring stud! I picked up a ac delco alternator
        from Napa. Not sure if its the 10si or the 12si. It says 12v so I'm guessing its the 12si? As you know it required some modification to fit the old motorola bracket.
        I needed to cut the 2 inch foot down some and slightly bore out the pivot hole.
        Well nothing is easy is it! I probably cut too much off the pivot and bored out too much as well. I think this allowed the alternator to drop making the fins contact the bracket. At this point thinking that I've wasted major time and $ mucking up this alternator voiding the warranty I was tempted to push the rig out to the street and spray FREE on her. Decided to take the grinder to the bracket and it seems to have worked.

I will take a look at that exciter wire thanks for the tip. Now to go back and figure out how to wire. IMG_0795 by , on FlickrIMG_0796 by IMG_0798 by , on Flickrcom/photos/168069932@N02/][/url], on Flickr
        1976 Jeep Wagoneer
        Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
        Still not running. Soon!

Comment

Working...
        X