• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Headhoncho
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by Rich88
    OK, I'm stupid on this one...

Never had a problem with, nor ever paid attention to any rag-joint issues. So question is: What typically goes wrong with rag-joints such that an XJ lower shaft would be more better?
    It's a good upgrade if you run a bodylift too. Will definately pick up a couple since there are a ton of XJ's at my local yard.

JR
    [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
    1966 mustang fastback
    '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• budojeepr
      350 Buick
      • Feb 02, 2006

I did the swap last weekend. A couple notes from my experience...

- I had to take the entire radiator/AC condenser assembly off because the GC shaft would not telescope in (to make it short enough to remove).
      - take the clamp bolt from the newer shaft home with you.
      - A few good whacks with the small sledge got both sets to separate.
      - The new lower shaft was quite a bit shorter than my '81 Wag shaft.

Looks good enough, though.
      Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• Driftwood
        350 Buick
        • Jun 12, 2000

So what is the purpose of the rag joint?
        1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Nick1224
          232 I6
          • Jun 05, 2002

I think it is supposed to dampen feedback and harshnes. I don't think any of us care about that. It also flexes to allow tiny off axis movement.
          88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
            232 I6
            • Aug 05, 2010

I got a steering shaft off a 96 xj. Shaft looks identical to the one in the post. I can't get mine to come apart. Any suggestions.

Comment

• The Colonel
              360 AMC
              • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by 89wagdrvr
              I got a steering shaft off a 96 xj. Shaft looks identical to the one in the post. I can't get mine to come apart. Any suggestions.
              I hit it with an air hammer and it came right out.

Comment

• Nick1224
                232 I6
                • Jun 05, 2002

Yup, big hammer smashing got it seperated. Feels good, but I guess I have to wait for the drivetrain to actually be in the Jeep and working to really rate it . Certainly looks better than the worn out rag joint!
                88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.

Comment

Working...
                X