• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StretchinPA
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 18, 2019

Originally posted by Banchee
    They are available NOW !!!!

I just checked inventory and we have (5) systems left on the shelf.

We also have the EFI intake by itself #28115 for those who want to piece together their own EFI system.
    Do you have a part number for a kit without the tablet?

Comment

• Banchee
      232 I6
      • Mar 20, 2009

Originally posted by conehead
      I just got mine from summit racing last week. It looks like a nice system but there are a couple of small issues. It doesn't include a fuel deliver system like the original Pro-Flo system did so you have to get their package, $483 at summit or make your own. Their is no baffle under the intake manifold to stop the oil from entering the PCV valve and the intake manifold gaskets that are included just cover between the intake manifold and the heads leaving the lifter area exposed. AMC used a metal pan gasket type that I think you have to use.

Several companies make fuel delivery systems, or you can piece together your own with a good high pressure pump inside the tank and a return line through the OE sending unit. Much safer then running a fuel sump under the hood!!

The intake manifold has provisions (boss's) to install the OE PCV baffle (off of a stock intake) to the underside of the EFI intake. And yes, you should use the OE style metal valley intake gasket
      91 XJ Cherokee Limited
      99 Dodge Ram V10 4X4 (This thing will pull a house, but won't pass a gas station)
      2010 Grand Cherokee (Hemi)
      2014 Dodge Avenger SRT6 Blacktop

Comment

• johnsonic
        258 I6
        • Mar 12, 2015

Has anyone installed this thing in their FSJ? Curious about the height and if there are clearance issues. And of course curious about the install/performance!

Looks awesome and with timing control out of the box makes me second guess getting a Sniper and also getting Hyperspark. But am wondering about the height - saw some folks who had issues but they may have been in AMC cars. Just want to make sure I can close my hood.
        1984 GW
        Comp 260H
        Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
        Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
        Performer Intake
        Holley SA 670
        MSD 8523
        Dakota Digital custom cluster
        Serehill headlamp harness
        NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
        ...but the parts live on

Comment

• StretchinPA
          230 Tornado
          • Dec 18, 2019

Originally posted by johnsonic
          Has anyone installed this thing in their FSJ? Curious about the height and if there are clearance issues. And of course curious about the install/performance!

Looks awesome and with timing control out of the box makes me second guess getting a Sniper and also getting Hyperspark. But am wondering about the height - saw some folks who had issues but they may have been in AMC cars. Just want to make sure I can close my hood.
          If you're on Facebook this guy has it installed.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

Much safer then running a fuel sump under the hood!!
            Interesting claim... particularly in light of the fact that Edelbrock was one of the first companies to bring one to market. Any data to support?

Me, I prefer to go the "unsafe" route instead of starving my high pressure fuel pump when I slosh gas away from the pickup at under 1/3 tank.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

I'll go out on a limb here...
              He is simply stating the fact that any fuel sump mounted under the hood of an FSJ is not as safe as an in-tank pump.
              These things crumple up like a beer car in an accident.
              Obviously having a large container of fuel under the hood isn't as safe.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Banchee
                232 I6
                • Mar 20, 2009

Originally posted by babywag
                I'll go out on a limb here...
                He is simply stating the fact that any fuel sump mounted under the hood of an FSJ is not as safe as an in-tank pump.
                These things crumple up like a beer car in an accident.
                Obviously having a large container of fuel under the hood isn't as safe.
                You are 100% correct babywag!!!

Just because we make fuel sumps doesn't mean that is the best way to go. I do know that I would never put a plastic container of fuel and a high pressure fuel pump under the hood of my own car (no mater who makes the fuel sump)when it's more efficient and safer to have all the fuel and the high pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank.
                91 XJ Cherokee Limited
                99 Dodge Ram V10 4X4 (This thing will pull a house, but won't pass a gas station)
                2010 Grand Cherokee (Hemi)
                2014 Dodge Avenger SRT6 Blacktop

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

You are 100% correct babywag!!!

Just because we make fuel sumps doesn't mean that is the best way to go. I do know that I would never put a plastic container of fuel and a high pressure fuel pump under the hood of my own car (no mater who makes the fuel sump)when it's more efficient and safer to have all the fuel and the high pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank.
                  lol
                  I sure wouldn't even put a metal one after seeing first hand what happened with a ~35ish MPH crash did on mine recently.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• TGrandWagon
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jan 06, 2020

Does s anyone else have experience with this? Was going to pull the trigger on Holley Sniper EFI Returnless Self-Tuning Fuel Injection Systems 550-511D but this is making me wonder..

Comment

• MysticRob
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by TGrandWagon
                      Does s anyone else have experience with this? Was going to pull the trigger on Holley Sniper EFI Returnless Self-Tuning Fuel Injection Systems 550-511D but this is making me wonder..
                      I did some research on it and build quality was a little suspect since it's early. The individual injectors can lead to more precise metering and slightly more power (but more fail points?), but it's an expensive system when considering you still need a fuel pump setup beyond the dizzy and intake included with this system. The tuning interface looks top notch though.

I figure both Holley and Howell have similar products, and only Howell is 50-state approved.
                      California Smog Legal Version CARB E.O. #D-452-2 Howell EFI announces arrival of new fuel injection conversion kit for classic Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer Marine City, MI – March 10, 2015 -The 1971-’93 Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer have a huge following among off road enthusiasts. Howell EFI has recently released a carburetion to throttle…

I'm still looking at the best option too though, since at some point I'll want to delete the stock dizzy, the carb, possibly the EGR (if I can -- smog requirements??), and of course go with a better breathing intake and 4bbl-type set up and coil for increased power.

At some point I'll make an excel sheet listing all my needs, what each kit offers, and what else I'll need to piece together for a full-on EFI, intake, dizzy, coil, and fuel pump set up.
                      Last edited by MysticRob; 04-01-2020, 01:35 PM.
                      --Rob--
                      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                        Shakes hands with danger
                        • Jul 01, 2012

One point that nobody has mentioned yet: the intake manifold is a Victor Jr single-plane design which typically has an operating RPM range of 3500-8000 RPM. It's absolutely the wrong manifold for the 1500-5000 RPM range we need power in.

The same kit built on a Performer manifold pattern would be far more suitable. Sales volume would obviously be minimal, so it will never happen, but it would be far better for Jeep/truck use.

Better yet would be a manifold actually designed for use with EFI instead of a carburetor manifold with injector bungs scabbed in. You know, something like an OEM intake manifold - they look nothing like a carburetor manifold because they aren't designed around a carburetor-style throttle body. Consequently, they work a lot better at making power at real-world speeds.
                        Cost would be significant and sales would be zero, but it would be fun to build. And by "fun", I mean a gigantic pain in the hinder.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here - just want to make sure people know what they are looking at.
                        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Ristow
                          • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                          One point that nobody has mentioned yet: the intake manifold is a Victor Jr single-plane design which typically has an operating RPM range of 3500-8000 RPM. It's absolutely the wrong manifold for the 1500-5000 RPM range we need power in.

correct. however, keep in mind this is now a "dry" intake,and thus air velocity thru the carb to maintain fuel shear and atomization and fuel suspension is no longer a factor. air velocitythru the carb is one of - but not the only-factors for a dual plane intake.

while intake runner design does indeed affect power band,i think this intake will be far more forgiving operating as a port injection unit.
                          Originally posted by Hankrod
                          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• xjranger2003
                            230 Tornado
                            • Nov 27, 2020

Anyone running one now? What are the results?
                            Barry

77 Wagoneer Rust Bucket

Comment

• SC/397
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by xjranger2003
                              Anyone running one now? What are the results?
                              Sort of. We are just finishing one up right now. It does run nice.

This is TGrandWagon's gorgous 1990 Grand Wagoneer with only 38,000 original miles on it. That is the good news.... The bad news is the engine is shot. It looks to me that it may have been ran with no oil in it causing the bearings to be wiped out and the thrust bearing has actually cut in to the crank about 1/8". So.... he

Here is a bunch of conversation about it:
                              Might want to check out this post from the Edelbrock forum!https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/pro-fl...
                              The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

Working...
                              X