Any idea where to find Rear Drum Backing Plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajminla
    232 I6
    • Jun 07, 2010

Any idea where to find Rear Drum Backing Plates?

Have an 89 GW. Left Rear Backing Plate is crack on my drum brakes.
    Spent the last 24 hours trying to source and coming up zero.
    Any other vehicles that shared the same Dana 44 6 Lug Drum Brakes?

I have reached out to my usual parts sources and scoured the net but aside from some rusty ones from 70s on Ebay haven't found.

Other question is what about replacing both rears with newer brake technology?
    What might that cost roughly?

I've always kept everything stock.
    '89 Grand Wagoneer
    Black with Sand Interior
  • UnkleMunky
    350 Buick
    • Oct 17, 2000

Only had a couple minutes to do some quick searching, so not sure how helpful this will be.

Crown Auto and Dorman both appear to make *some* plates or plate kits *plate with all hardware installed*...but not sure if for SJs or not...this one sounded like it might be for ZJs:

And a dorman for something else I think:

Not sure if you can poke around and find the part number that might fit SJs, but here is what sounds like a proper part number:

MoparPartsGiant.com offers genuine Brakes, Rear Drum for 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with great price and fast delivery.

The part number I am seeing is:
    PLATE, Backing
    J8124522
    Left

Unfortunately appears to be discontinued. And you may have already run across all this, but lots of times if you have the part number or something, you can poke around to maybe find somebody who has one...or maybe even a NOS on ebay or something. Or cross reference to an aftermarket alternative....

I am not familiar with a lot of the GM brakes from RWD or 4WD units from those years, but being AMC used a lot of GM parts in the brake area, maybe there is a possibility a GM truck (6 lug) from late 70s/early 80s may either work, or be close enough to work that you could make it do so. I could be completely wrong on that, but it could be an avenue to look into considering.

Hopefully someone else can give some better insight, but maybe there's something there to go on.
    Michael (UnkleMunky)
    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• ajminla
      232 I6
      • Jun 07, 2010

Thanks for this detailed reply.

Most of the Available Crown and Dorman are for CJs not SJs.
      if you look, they are 4 lug not 6.

The correct part number for my '89 Jeep GW is
      J812 7778 Left
      J812 7779 Right

There are definitely GM similars. I was asking if anyone knew which ones.
      Again Thanks for your help!

Crown Auto and Dorman both appear to make *some* plates or plate kits *plate with all hardware installed*...but not sure if for SJs or not...this one sounded like it might be for ZJs:

And a dorman for something else I think:

Not sure if you can poke around and find the part number that might fit SJs, but here is what sounds like a proper part number:

MoparPartsGiant.com offers genuine Brakes, Rear Drum for 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with great price and fast delivery.

The part number I am seeing is:
      PLATE, Backing
      J8124522
      Left

Unfortunately appears to be discontinued. And you may have already run across all this, but lots of times if you have the part number or something, you can poke around to maybe find somebody who has one...or maybe even a NOS on ebay or something. Or cross reference to an aftermarket alternative....

I am not familiar with a lot of the GM brakes from RWD or 4WD units from those years, but being AMC used a lot of GM parts in the brake area, maybe there is a possibility a GM truck (6 lug) from late 70s/early 80s may either work, or be close enough to work that you could make it do so. I could be completely wrong on that, but it could be an avenue to look into considering.

Hopefully someone else can give some better insight, but maybe there's something there to go on.[/QUOTE]
      '89 Grand Wagoneer
      Black with Sand Interior

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Quite certain this will be a junkyard item today. I believe these vehicles got Delco brakes, but other than comparing to period GM vehicles with similar brakes, I don't think there is any way to cross to something from GM. Lots of GM cars use the same shoes, but the drums are unique to these vehicles. I would look at the Jeep factory parts books at www.oljeep.com and see if those backing plates are unique to the GW Dana 44 rear axle (likely) and check the part numbers you got from your online source.

I suggest you contact FSJ Jeep junkyards, such as Montana Overland or Jake's (in NC). Unfortunately Jakes is winding down and does not ship anymore, but maybe something could be worked out if they have the part. There are also Jeep junkyards such as J&W in Antelope CA. Worth a call. I understand there are other Jeep-only junkyards around the nation, including ones in Colorado and Georgia which I don't have any other info about. There's Collins Bros in Texas that has some kind of a yard, but they focus on newer models and I doubt they would have this part.

Try car-part.com and search for a 1989 GW rear axle. I found lots of axles nationwide when I searched, and a yard with an axle is likely to have and may sell you a backing plate.

You should also post an ad in the WTB (want to buy) forum here and at FSJ network, as well as the big all-Jeep forums.

I'd think your local professional welder could fix a cracked backing plate.
        Last edited by tgreese; 09-21-2019, 07:38 AM.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• ajminla
          232 I6
          • Jun 07, 2010

Tim-

Thanks so much. Thorough as always.
          I sent out a few Saturday Inquiries to junkyards using the car-part.com. I also spoke to Ryan at BJ's who has front plates but not rear. He is checking into feasibility of remanufacturing. I had checked a few So. Cal jeep junkyards Friday but you are right to check on Axles. My mechanic rewelded the cracked plate but I want to get a replacement anyway.

Thanks again.

Adam

Originally posted by tgreese
          Quite certain this will be a junkyard item today. I believe these vehicles got Delco brakes, but other than comparing to period GM vehicles with similar brakes, I don't think there is any way to cross to something from GM. Lots of GM cars use the same shoes, but the drums are unique to these vehicles. I would look at the Jeep factory parts books at www.oljeep.com and see if those backing plates are unique to the GW Dana 44 rear axle (likely) and check the part numbers you got from your online source.

I suggest you contact FSJ Jeep junkyards, such as Montana Overland or Jake's (in NC). Unfortunately Jakes is winding down and does not ship anymore, but maybe something could be worked out if they have the part. There are also Jeep junkyards such as J&W in Antelope CA. Worth a call. I understand there are other Jeep-only junkyards around the nation, including ones in Colorado and Georgia which I don't have any other info about. There's Collins Bros in Texas that has some kind of a yard, but they focus on newer models and I doubt they would have this part.

Try car-part.com and search for a 1989 GW rear axle. I found lots of axles nationwide when I searched, and a yard with an axle is likely to have and may sell you a backing plate.

You should also post an ad in the WTB (want to buy) forum here and at FSJ network, as well as the big all-Jeep forums.

I'd think your local professional welder could fix a cracked backing plate.
          '89 Grand Wagoneer
          Black with Sand Interior

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Get it almost free, here...
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 67GMC
              232 I6
              • Mar 13, 2016

My 1987 Cherokee (XJ) had a Dana 44 rear axle. That part is:

I wonder if they are close enough. Lots of XJs out there with Dana 44s.
              My Stable:
              1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
              2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
              2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
              2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
              1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
              1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

I'd talk to Parts Mike to see if he can help.
                1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Don't know if he is still around but there was a guy in LA area who restored GWs.
                  Sherman was his name, had a bunch of parts and nice GWs.
                  Used to advertise on CL haven't seen an ad in quite a while though.

J&W in northern CA has parts but you'll pay a premium.

There is also Hard Rock 4x4 down south http://jeep911.com/
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ajminla
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 07, 2010

Thanks Tony.

I ended up getting the part from jsinajeep (jerry) on the board.
                    Thanks as always.
                    '89 Grand Wagoneer
                    Black with Sand Interior

Comment

Working...
                    X