• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harrinad
    232 I6
    • Jan 22, 2019

Diesel tank and filler for OD transmission

Has anybody found a good diesel tank and fuel filler / vent to use if you swap a longer automatic transmission with overdrive? I was thinking about the j10 tank but it is a bit small.
  • BA_051
    232 I6
    • May 06, 2008

I was looking for a larger tank to swap in years ago and settled on a 33 gallon tank from a diesel van. I think it was from a 1995 Chevy G30 with the 6.5. It has a 1 5/8 inlet and the vent tube is on the pickup assembly. I put it under the bed in place of the spare and it fit quite well.

I used my factory 1974 filler neck and used the round plastic filler assembly from a Jeep TJ and moved it behind the wheels. It has been working great for almost 10 years now.

There is also a 22 gallon version.
    1974 Jeep J20, gladiator grill, 6BTAA cummins, York OBA, HX55, 5in exhaust, Mercedes G56/ford np205, 14b kingpin axle, 14b rear axle, 4.56 gears, 40x13.50r17's on 17x10 mags

Comment

• Harrinad
      232 I6
      • Jan 22, 2019

Do you have a picture by chance?

Comment

• scout4bta
        258 I6
        • Apr 26, 2018

Originally posted by Harrinad
        Do you have a picture by chance?
        Look for a 1982-87 Blazer/Jimmy/Suburban Diesel tank. About 25 gallons measures 28 3/4" x 28 1/8" x 10 3/4". I have one that I'm going to use for my Diesel Wagoneer swap. I have fitted it up in the space where the spare tire was and it does fit.
        Here's an example.
        1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

• Harrinad
          232 I6
          • Jan 22, 2019

Originally posted by scout4bta
          Look for a 1982-87 Blazer/Jimmy/Suburban Diesel tank
          Good idea and not very expensive. What did you use to support it? Does it come with straps?

Comment

• scout4bta
            258 I6
            • Apr 26, 2018

Good idea and not very expensive. What did you use to support it? Does it come with straps?
            I have only done the quick fit and it does fit up inside the area for the spare tire.
            If I remember right the exhaust for the v8 is too close to the blazer tank, but I'm going with a 3" exhaust and will reroute the exhaust some where else.

Straps are extra.
            Have not done any planning for the tank straps/support, but I did purchase straps for the Blazer to use on this project. For the rubber insulator on the straps I'm using inner tubes cut to fit.

Heres a link to my wagoneer/4bt/46rh swap on IFSJ
            1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

• BA_051
              232 I6
              • May 06, 2008

I will have to get pics tomorrow when its daylight; but here is the exact tank I put under the bed in the spare tire area. It doesnt leave much room for exhaust to go out the back though. When I built the 406 stroker, I was running dual 3" sidepipes. When I swapped the diesel in, I put a 5" stack on it up through the bed so I never worried about routing exhaust out the back.
              Tank:

Sending unit:
              Spectra Premium believes in a green and sustainable economy. That's why it uses its core competencies of metallurgical transformation, heat transfer and high quality assembly capacity, as well as its extensive expertise, to stand out in the booming vehicle electrification sector in Quebec.

I used the in tank fuel pump when I was running gas TBI, then swapped the pump assembly for the diesel pickup assembly when I swapped to the 6.5 and later, the 5.9.
              1974 Jeep J20, gladiator grill, 6BTAA cummins, York OBA, HX55, 5in exhaust, Mercedes G56/ford np205, 14b kingpin axle, 14b rear axle, 4.56 gears, 40x13.50r17's on 17x10 mags

Comment

• Harrinad
                232 I6
                • Jan 22, 2019

Does the level sensor work with the stock Grand wagoneer wiring?

Comment

• scout4bta
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 26, 2018

Does the level sensor work with the stock Grand wagoneer wiring?
                  I believe your asking will the GM sending unit work with the Jeep fuel gauge?
                  Only if they both have the same specs for the the fuel gauge, meaning the ohms difference between full and empty match.

See https://mtscompany.com/sendingunits.htm for info.

When I swapped out the 19 gal tank in my ScoutII for a 40 gal tank I had to make the scout sending unit fit the new tank. The ohms have to match.

And they have the tank(s) we need in plastic. If I didn't already have the metal one I'd buy one of theirs.
                  Last edited by scout4bta; 03-12-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X