• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • letank
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by flatbackdragon
    I can't remember what mile marker on 191 where Mill Canyon cuts off but its north of 313 about 3-4 (?) miles to the west, its on a corner and the RR tracks are right there, can't miss it, its the only place I know where you can camp north of Moab that has a tree!!!
    Coming south on 191 its the second road to the right past the airport.

Decent place, close to Wipeout and the river bed is all sand so fun to drive in it day or night.

Michel stayed with us one time and think he liked getting fed breakfast and dinner.
    The company was excellent, and I really enjoyed the breakfast and dinner, especially on that cold night, thank you for the warm welcome.
    Michel
    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• letank
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by Gambler68
      Hope to see you! I'll be camping at Phils Rowdy Roundup Camp Friday night! Have a safe trip if you decide to come! At least on the bike you can skip out into the wilds and avoid the baby jeepers...or ride around them..someday I'll fix up my dirtbike and take it up there.
      Yes, it seems like I have too much on my plate... I do not have as much energy as a few years ago... So I may save my time for Ouray.... and I will have the locker installed. Have fun I will miss the camaraderie.

Which bike do you have?
      Michel
      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
        Murphy's Law Poster Child
        • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Gambler68
        Pack the jeep, grab the credit cards, and get rolling tonight You won't regret it.

You should be able to hit the CO border in one LONG day, sleep, and take I-70 over past Grand Junction and skip down to Moab in another half day and be checked in a room by dinnertime. Took me 11 hours to hit Cozad, Nebraska from South Bend area doing 70+, then it's another 4 to Denver.
        Sounds like you were going a little faster than 70
        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
        '88 GW
        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by letank
          Yes, it seems like I have too much on my plate... I do not have as much energy as a few years ago... So I may save my time for Ouray.... and I will have the locker installed. Have fun I will miss the camaraderie.

Which bike do you have?
          Oh awesome! I think you'll enjoy Ouray even more than Moab. Lots more people, high altitude play area, community camping.

I havent looked at it for a year or so, IIRC its 77 Kawasaki 125. No title for it so it's a pirate bike.
          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
            Sounds like you were going a little faster than 70
            it happens
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• flatbackdragon
              304 AMC
              • Aug 22, 2003

trucks may be limited to 70 for newbie truckers but cars can go as fast as they want. (take it in stride Sean, its a joke)
              "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
              Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
              Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                Señor Jackhead
                • Aug 21, 2002

Locker is jacked up. Going back into the rear axle for round two today. I love last the minute insanity before a Jeep trip.

Flint
                Ran when parked.
                http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                  King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

As much as I need a road trip (road trip = escape) and as much as I think about some of you fine folks that I not met yet and really want to...
                  ...I am not coming out West this time.

After I engaged my brain...it does not good make sense to drive out for a few hours visit.
                  (common problem for me...mouth runs wide open while brain is in neutral)

1500 miles out and 1500 miles back with my WJ getting 16ish MPG would take ~190 gallons of gas.
                  Gas at $4 gallon would cost me $~750
                  ...plus food, plus a room....would be an easy $1000.

I would leave Fort Wayne, IN Friday morning at 6AM...arrive in Moab sometime Saturday morning.
                  So, I would miss you fellows wheeling on Saturday.
                  Would get to visit with you Saturday evening, have dinner, maybe share a breakfast with you on Sunday...then head back.
                  Sounds kinda crazy.

I will find another escape close to home...maybe another trip to Put-in-Bay, OH and the Lake Erie Islands.

I will begin to plan now for a Ouray, CO trip.
                  Maybe I will see you then.
                  Last edited by The PIG Smith; 04-13-2011, 12:13 PM.
                  Bryan Smith
                  2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                  - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                  1986 Jeep J20
                  - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                  1982 Jeep J10
                  - Has become a Long Term Project.
                  1981 Jeep J20
                  - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                  1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                  - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                  ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                  Originally posted by Lindel
                  Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                    304 AMC
                    • Aug 22, 2003

would have been nice to have you here but from what you explained your decision is the right one for sure.

I'm dealing with a house in AZ that has issues so am working with an agent to get them resolved, got to.
                    May not get it all worked out today so Thursday may seem better timing, I don't know.
                    Of course being on the internet is not getting things done for leaving for Moab either.
                    "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                    Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                    Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• srobertsfsj
                      304 AMC
                      • Aug 26, 2002

We just arrived about an hour ago! Perfect weather thru the Rockies, great drive, no issues.

Can't wait to see everyone in the morning. Safe travels everyone!

Last edited by srobertsfsj; 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM.
                      Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
                      http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

• Gambler68
                        Rabble Rouser
                        • Feb 29, 2004

I guess I'm leaving about 5am tomorrow. At least we won't have problems finding each other.
                        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                          Señor Jackhead
                          • Aug 21, 2002

I talked to Johnny Brown. There was a slip of paper we did not get or see or something. It goes on about another measurement with internal spacers and the cross pin. The Lockright was too tight in that shaft alignment and we broke it. Broke it good. One of the holes for the springs busted out and the 4 pins were chaffed pretty bad. Johnny Brown says it can shear the 4 pins off with too tight fit. The measurements on the Detroit EZ Locker was much more to spec based on the Lockright doco. The EZ has crap doco because it contain no directions for the tolerances to check. The EZ works like a frakking champ. Churned it 3 wheelin in red rock sandy creek bottom. Got the electric fuel pump set up and new filters. Fixed breather tubes for rear axle. Idled it up a little for off camber. Brakes checked out good. She is loaded on the trailer behind the F350 and sitting out front ready to take off. Gonna be strokin' it to get out by 6:30-7:00 for Moab. I expect 9-9:30 arrival.

I am beat up but smiling all the way. The magic rain locker is calling me...

Flint
                          Ran when parked.
                          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods

Comment

• Gambler68
                            Rabble Rouser
                            • Feb 29, 2004

I asked on FB, wanna meet at 6:30?
                            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                              Señor Jackhead
                              • Aug 21, 2002

Meet here at 6:30? Sure!
                              Flint
                              Ran when parked.

Comment

• Gambler68
                                Rabble Rouser
                                • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                                Meet here at 6:30? Sure!
                                I'll do my best, if I'm late just roll, I'll catch up. There's only one way there..
                                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                                X