• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alley oop
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2014

Ready to upgrade

Well the time has come the ol Prestolite system took a dump when to fire up the blue beast it started right up, got the chock set just right and it was just like I turned the key off dead. The first thing I thought of was the gold box on the fender well went south,and who knows how long it been there, so off to the part store for a replacement. Installed the new box after cleaning the mounting surface to make sure it had a good ground cleaned the 4 pin connector to the box and the 2 pin connection to the distributor and the ground pin and it mounting surface .it has a full 12 volts to box and coil. I have spark from the coil to the distributor cap but nothing from the distributor to #1 plug, my next guest is that the pickup coil in the distributor is bad I don?t really what to throw any more $$$$ at it so.
    IT TIME TO UPGRADE
    I read a article on here in tech/electrical/ignition upgrade by Gary Boyd on distributor upgrade and think of going with this upgrade

Cardone Select new Electronic Distributor (p/n 84-4891) Motorcraft Distributor for a 79 360ci

msd distributor cap and rotor kit for 84 ford F-350 460ci O?Reilly part #8414

BWD TFI style coil for 84 ford F-350 460ci O?Reilly part # E92p

BWD select ignition control module O?Reilly part # CBE7 or A Msd 6 off road series module with a good quality set of plug wires

my biggest concern is how well that msd module will hold up to heat don?t what to spend the $215 if it?s going to die from heat stroke under the hood if so a can buy a few spare stock modules to keep under the seat.
    The msd seams to be easier to wire into the 77 harness I haven?t found any wiring diagrams on how to wire up the Dura spark module
    How many of you upgraded your Prestolite ignition in earlier jeep with this upgrade do you know of any wiring diagrams all comment and suggestion welcome
    thanks
  • DBX11
    258 I6
    • May 18, 2009

I have an 88 that the P.O. put an hei in and had trouble finding quality hei modules once the original went south. I wired up the msd 6a i got off craigslist and it was pretty easy no issues since, it also fires up and runs everytime too.
    My 78 is running off the fender box module and motorcraft distributor still and when it goes i plan to do the ford cap rotor with the msd 6 box.
    I'd get the msd box and the ford tfi cap and rotor and a good msd blaster 3 coil, gap your plugs up to .45

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

I have found that a fairly common reason for an HEI to start blowing modules is actually in the pickup coil down in the bottom of the dizzy.

Buy two of these and save your self some money on the other options.

Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

Originally posted by DBX11
        I have an 88 that the P.O. put an hei in and had trouble finding quality hei modules once the original went south. I wired up the msd 6a i got off craigslist and it was pretty easy no issues since, it also fires up and runs everytime too.
        My 78 is running off the fender box module and motorcraft distributor still and when it goes i plan to do the ford cap rotor with the msd 6 box.
        I'd get the msd box and the ford tfi cap and rotor and a good msd blaster 3 coil, gap your plugs up to .45

Ditto

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• acct21
          327 Rambler
          • May 20, 2014

Originally posted by DBX11
          +1
          1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Mr Carts
            258 I6
            • Aug 22, 2011

Here are the parts I ordered from Rock Auto.

I used two spark plug wire sets to get fit I wanted with out making up wires.

AIRTEX / WELLS
            4D1004

BOSCH

AIRTEX / WELLS
            5C1116

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS
            FD168T

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS
            FD117T

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS
            LX204T

CHAMPION

I also used an Accel HEI module as I could not get the stock chevy one to idle down low enough.

i have all SBCs and HEI, but all you AMC types speak TFI this and that. is it just a larger dizzy cap? and if so, it is still dependent on the OE spark triggering method? could the TFI be attached to an AMC points dizzy?
            1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
            3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• Mr Carts
              258 I6
              • Aug 22, 2011

I went thru 2 of the O?Reilly Modules (they lasted 1500 miles and left me stuck) Just go with the HEI.
              1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
              3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• alley oop
                232 I6
                • Jul 20, 2014

let the upgrade begins

well i got a seat full of part today so this weekend the upgrade begins
                I when with a

Cardone Select New motorcraft distributor for the 79+

Profrom Hi Performance 45,000 V, Ford, TFI Coil

MSD Cap and Rotor, Clamp-Down, Ford, V8, Kit MSD-8414

MSD 6A control box

the distributor came with a new gear. The motor has less than 100 mile on it, and I put a new set of gears on the cam and distributor when the motor was rebuilt, I was wondering if I should use the gear off the old dead prestolite distributor
                or
                run the gear that came on the new distributor
                is 100 mile enough to seat the new set together i wouldn't think so but i may be wrong what do you guys think

Comment

Working...
                X