• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigRedChief
    350 Buick
    • Feb 27, 2005

More TBI related inquiry...

Does anyone have extras, or know where I can get, the inlet and outlet fittings for the TBI unit? I have the fuel line repair kits with about 18" of fuel line, but I need the fittings that screw into the back of the throttle body itself. These are hard things to find... I've looked.

It looks like I have most of the connectors, but I am missing at least one. Does anyone know where I can get a connector for the knock sensor? I'm half tempted to run without the knock control at first just to see how it goes. I haven't even heard my engine knock yet (then again, my tires are loud and there's a lot of wind noise).

Last question (I hope...) is; has anyone experimented with some kind of surge tank for TBI since our fuel tanks are not baffled? I was thinking of using a large filter before the pump to act as a small reservoir that wouldn't slosh fuel around in high angle situations. Would it cause problems to have a pre-filter/reservoir and a post filter closer to the engine? Any other thoughts/ideas on this?
    1979 Cherokee Chief - SOLD.
    AMC 360 -TBI, TFI, TH400, QT, D44's
    BJ's 4" & ProComp ES3000's
    15x10 black steel wagon wheels & 33x12.5 Kumho Venture MTs
  • Spectre
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 26, 2004

I'm using a large Jaguar XJ6 filter after the pump - haven't had any fuel starvation issues even at some extreme nose up or nose down angles - but then I've got a custom fuel pickup in the tank.
    "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• pb
      350 Buick
      • Aug 28, 2003

I got my inlet and outlets from Advance Auto in their HELP section. They were 4 or 5" pieces with the fitting and then a 90* bend in the middle.

As far as the knock sensor, it's not necessary and can be run without it. Also the knock sensor is designed for a GM engine and not the AMCs so it may pickup other sounds/harmonics or not pick up the right ones.

I know some people have used a large fram filter, either with the filter element inside, or gutted out or used surge tanks from VW Golfs. I'm not running one, but I usually don't let it get low on gas since the Waggy is a thirsty girl.
      Paul
      1975 Wagoneer DD
      360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• crispyboy
        304 AMC
        • May 14, 2002

I seemed to remember seeing some fittings in the Summit catalog last week. I'm probably wrong on this but I think they are called "an" fittings. Just a guess.
        Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
        <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• BigRedChief
          350 Buick
          • Feb 27, 2005

So far I haven't found the fittings I need in those Help sections. The best information I found so far for what I need is on an Advance Auto website for TBI conversions. It said they are a "metric, double-bump flare -hard to find later." I have the fuel line with fittings on the end that are for EFI (from the Help section), but they go into the fittings that screw into the TB. It is the set of fittings that screw into the throttle body itself that I need.

Another thing I think I'm missing... The intake air temperature sensor and connector. Is that a necessary item, or can I run without it? It seems like it would be a good idea, especially in AZ where I can encounter some extreme temperature changes. Any ideas where I could get the connector for that?

I have the Edelbrock multi-port EFI on my truck with no baffling in the tank and haven't had any starvation issues with that, but I'm concerned with the Jeep because I have had it in some near tippy situations. How's that custom pickup work Spectre?

Comment

• Spectre
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 26, 2004

Very well. I took a stock GW fuel pickup, cut the return line out, had a 3/8" line brazed in, had it replated, then reinstalled the electrics for the fuel level sender. Then I adapted a fuel strainer from NAPA, attached it to the 3/8" line by hose in such a way that the strainer actually sits on the bottom of the tank, instead of hanging free about 1/4 of the way up like the stock one does. I can now use all 19 gallons in my tank, not just ~16 like everyone else.

"Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• BigRedChief
              350 Buick
              • Feb 27, 2005

Pretty tricky! I don't know about going through all the trouble of brazing new line in and re-plating and such, but very cool anyway! I was thinking it would be cool to do something like they use for model airplanes. They use a weighted pick-up on the end of flexible line (called a "clunk") to "follow" the fuel in the tank. I think I'm just going to use the sender I have, but that's a good idea, extending the pick-up...

Comment

• pb
                350 Buick
                • Aug 28, 2003

Here's some fittings for you:

Fourth and fifth ones down on the page.
                Paul
                1975 Wagoneer DD
                360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• BigRedChief
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 27, 2005

Those are pretty cool looking fittings, unfortunately they're still not what I'm looking for. Those would go into the adapter fittings on the back of the TBI. Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

The threads on the TB are apparently metric and have a specific "double-bump flare" They allow the use of standard 3/8" and 5/16" EFI flare fittings.

Comment

• Nick1224
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 05, 2002

I think you best just getting them from the junkyard and getting new O-rings. Probably gonna costa bunch to buy them new...if you can find them. I could probably grap you one next time I'm at the yard, but probably cheaper if you just got them and don't worry about shipping anything.
                    88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.

Comment

• BigRedChief
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 27, 2005

I haven't checked with a dealer yet. It was going to be my last resort if I couldn't find something aftermarket. Maybe I should though. They might surprise me and NOT empty my wallet for something like that...

It's a 7747 and I was scouring wiring diagrams after seeing mention of an intake air temp sensor, but didn't find one there. I guess that explains it!

Comment

• chr1s
                        360 AMC
                        • Jun 17, 2003

Originally posted by Nick1224
                        I think you best just getting them from the junkyard .
                        I may be back at the yard later in the week if you want me to snag you a pair.
                        87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
                        88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
                        "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

• BigRedChief
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 27, 2005

I'll take another look at a couple of parts places, but if somebody could grab a couple, that would be cool... I've got some kind of EFI repair kits, but they don't fit to the TB. Unfortunately I didn't test fit the one I already bent up (had the TB on the manifold before trying the fitting -Doh!). Now I'm wondering if there might be others that will fit to the TB. If I can't find anything else or can't find them through a dealer I found fittings to go from TB to -6 AN and then from -6 AN to 3/8" and 5/16" tubing on Summit's site, so I could make that work for ~$30.

Comment

• pb
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 28, 2003

Originally posted by BigRedChief
                            Those are pretty cool looking fittings, unfortunately they're still not what I'm looking for. Those would go into the adapter fittings on the back of the TBI. Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

The threads on the TB are apparently metric and have a specific "double-bump flare" They allow the use of standard 3/8" and 5/16" EFI flare fittings.
                            Sorry, I thought those fittings took the place of the ones you are looking for.
                            Paul
                            1975 Wagoneer DD

Comment

• BigRedChief
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 27, 2005

Originally posted by pb
                              Sorry, I thought those fittings took the place of the ones you are looking for.
                              No problem... Those are cool anyway.

I've been searching around for a bit (should be working ) and I still haven't found the info I'm really looking for. The fittings are apparently 16x1.5mm (or 3/8" Saginaw) on the supply side and 14x1.5mm (or 5/16" Saginaw) on the return side. It's tempting to get the fittings that would convert it to AN since those are at least *less* hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X