• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike7009
    350 Buick
    • May 26, 2003

Front driveshaft

I have a 90 wag with soa/sf running ford f250 axles. My front shaft sets at about a 21 degree angle at ride height. I currently have a shortened xj shaft ( not balanced) that I've done some clearancing on the double cardan joint.. in stock form the angle was maxed out at ride height. It now starts binding at about 28 degrees. My suspension at full droop I need to be at about 33 degree angle. So I need a shaft that can handle that. Currently stock np229 front yoke and I have a 1310/1330 conversion joint at the front axle. What driveshaft shops are good do deal with? I have an email in at Tom woods. They said they may or may not be able to help. So I'm waiting on another reply from them.. What are my options? What is everyone else doing for front shafts with this much lift?
    -74 Cherokee 360, qt part-time, 4" lift 33's
    -90 waggy, soa w/ford f250 axles
    -Subaru legacy gt wagon. turbo
    -2012 tundra trd rock warrior
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

I take it you have a low pinion axle?

Won't help you but I used a high pinion spring over and since I was using a Dana 300 I had to have the punkin moved. Spent a lot of time figgering how much to point the pinion up so the joint at the pinion is at zero and the CV joint at the TC takes what little angle there is
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Mike7009
      350 Buick
      • May 26, 2003

Yes it's a low pinion 8 lug 44 from a 78 f250. Ive thought about swapping for a high pinion but it just seems like alot more work then just getting a shaft. If you or anyone knows some other good driveline shops other than Tom woods that I can contact that would be great.. But I know theirs alot of people who have gone soa. So their has to be a solution for my issue

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

I thought '78 had high. Mine's from a mid to late 70's F250, can't remember exactly what year.

Can't help on a source. I wish I were to the point where I needed drive shafts.

Maybe look for ads in the back of a 4WD magazine.
        Last edited by SJTD; 07-29-2017, 08:30 PM.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• nightglide
          232 I6
          • Jan 06, 2015

Originally posted by Mike7009
          I have a 90 wag with soa/sf running ford f250 axles. My front shaft sets at about a 21 degree angle at ride height. I currently have a shortened xj shaft ( not balanced) that I've done some clearancing on the double cardan joint.. in stock form the angle was maxed out at ride height. It now starts binding at about 28 degrees. My suspension at full droop I need to be at about 33 degree angle. So I need a shaft that can handle that. Currently stock np229 front yoke and I have a 1310/1330 conversion joint at the front axle. What driveshaft shops are good do deal with? I have an email in at Tom woods. They said they may or may not be able to help. So I'm waiting on another reply from them.. What are my options? What is everyone else doing for front shafts with this much lift?
          There is someone on here from Las Vegas, actually Pahrump I belive that owns a driveshaft shop and is very knowledgeable with fsj. I wish I could remember his handle. Hopefully he'll chime in

Comment

• fsj454
            Long time member
            • Jan 02, 2015

1350s

I used all 1350s in my soa low pinion drivshaft
            1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• Mike7009
              350 Buick
              • May 26, 2003

Originally posted by fsj454
              I used all 1350s in my soa low pinion drivshaft
              I was thinking I may have to go that route. I've also considered just trying to do away with the double cardan joint and just use single joints at each end. But the angles would be all out of wack. The double cardan setup is more ideal. My front axle uses a 1330 joint so I'm using a 1310/1330 conversion joint currently on the xj shaft I have in there now

Comment

• Mike7009
                350 Buick
                • May 26, 2003

Originally posted by SJTD
                I thought '78 had high. Mine's from a mid to late 70's F250, can't remember exactly what year.

Can't help on a source. I wish I were to the point where I needed drive shafts.

Maybe look for ads in the back of a 4WD magazine.
                Axles came with the jeep. I was told 78. All the parts ive gotten i bought for a 78 and they fit. But it's definitely a low pinion.

Comment

• J20 project
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 27, 2000

double cardan

Well, I'm the guy from Pahrump.....There are some high angle cvs' out there but typically mated to a later model flanged front yoke.....That and the normal ones are are 1410 u joint..

Probable the greatest issue besides price would be your front yoke.
                  I have successfully converted my NP208 over to 1330 w/ 1330 on my Dana 44 and this will work good for me. Actually running 1330 cv's front and back.

What are the chances that you know or would find out exactly what your xfer case yokes' measurements are? spline count, spline diameter, and seal surface diameter.

Bud

42 degrees

I converted my Dodge 3500 from AAM1355 joints and built a normal 1350 shaft. That being said, even w/ say 4-6in lift on those trucks will hammer a 1330 size cv in time.
                  Last edited by J20 project; 08-03-2017, 04:59 PM.
                  BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                  775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 15, 2010

another option is to clock the transfer case down to gain better angles. you are about maxed out with what you have, i am surprised you have not blown apart the shaft yet. i have spent a ton of money on making the front shaft work for high speed desert racing and the best i could get was around 26 degrees and survive. you may find it better and cheaper to change the front axle out of clocking the transfer case in the end.

Comment

• CutterN55
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 09, 2009

I ran conversion joints for a while and I think the joint is probably a large contributor. IIRC the degree of travel is greatly reduced when running the conversion joints. You are running the SOA/shackle flip... are the front springs reversed long side to the back? this moves the front axle forward a good 5" and helps with angles a LOT. was a necessity when I did my np435/205. I used a cut down XJ shaft too.

Bronco Graveyard has several different yoke options and joint configurations. I sourced a lot of stuff from them for my Waggy.
                      I'm not 100% anymore because this was a long time ago... I wanna say the 205 and 229 yokes can be modded to fit each other?

Tom Woods shafts are tight. I have them front and back in my CJ-7.
                      ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
                      Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
                      Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
                      new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
                      37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

Working...
                      X