• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miamitj
    232 I6
    • Mar 24, 2016

And the parts search begins ...

Hey all

So My 76 Cherokee was just delivered and I'm already thinking what needs to be done first.

Needless to say, I need some help on where to look for parts.

I found the new lock cylinders on BJsOffroad. But, I need to start finding some replacement panels to deal with the cancer. Luckily it's not bad but it will definitely need a new windshield and windshield frame and the lower portion of the tailgate. Where can I get body panels?

Also, I would like to replace the rear power window lock. Current one is shot and the previous owner wired in a manual one.

Thanks in advance
    1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
    1991 XJ
    2022 JT

'76 SJ Build Thread
  • FleetFox
    258 I6
    • Apr 04, 2018

welcome MTJ. make 2 lists, needs, wants. BJ's, Z &M, Team Grand Wag all specialize in these trucks. there are a number of members here who also make and sell specialized parts and upgrades that are not mass produced. Keep in mind your jeep is an A.M.C. (All Makes Combined) many of the components are common to the big three so be curious when searching for replacement parts. There's a lot of GM parts in your truck and they're cheap and plentiful to replace. Anyways, set a goal, daily driver, off road rig, weekend cruiser etc.. then tailor you want/ need list to that goal. The body work will be time consuming and largely render the vehicle undriveable for a length of time if done all at once. my 2 cents.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by miamitj
      Hey all

So My 76 Cherokee was just delivered and I'm already thinking what needs to be done first.

Needless to say, I need some help on where to look for parts.

I found the new lock cylinders on BJsOffroad. But, I need to start finding some replacement panels to deal with the cancer. Luckily it's not bad but it will definitely need a new windshield and windshield frame and the lower portion of the tailgate. Where can I get body panels?

Also, I would like to replace the rear power window lock. Current one is shot and the previous owner wired in a manual one.

Thanks in advance
      These aren't like the big 3 far as restoration parts availability.
      Selection is very limited. For a windshield frame and lower tailgate you're looking @ used parts.
      About the only new full replacement panels available are fenders.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• miamitj
        232 I6
        • Mar 24, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
        These aren't like the big 3 far as restoration parts availability.

Who are the big 3?
        1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
        1991 XJ
        2022 JT

'76 SJ Build Thread

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by miamitj
          Who are the big 3?
          GM, Mopar, Ford
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
            258 I6
            • Dec 17, 2018

As far as quarter panel replacements or patch panels, I know Rockauto.com sells some as well as many other suppliers.

Junkyards are also viable options as just about all the panels are the same for these FSJs, unless you are a wide track Chero.
            Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
            Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
            PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
            "Soon" is a relative term.
            Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• miamitj
              232 I6
              • Mar 24, 2016

Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
              As far as quarter panel replacements or patch panels, I know Rockauto.com sells some as well as many other suppliers.

Junkyards are also viable options as just about all the panels are the same for these FSJs, unless you are a wide track Chero.
              Thanks for the response.

In my area junkyards won't be of any help. Jeeps like this have not been around in Miami for a decade, if not more. They rusted and fell apart many years ago.

In fact the last time I saw any SJ here, even at jeep meets and shows, was about 15 years ago.

I found the panels on the link you recommend. That will work. But, I'm still concerned about the window frame. I might have to find a really good fabricator for that...
              1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
              1991 XJ
              2022 JT

'76 SJ Build Thread

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by babywag
                GM, Mopar, Ford
                I would also point out that passenger cars get a lot more coverage than light trucks and utes, like our Jeeps. These Jeeps are both oddballs and trucks.

If this Jeep has a lot of rust around the windshield, it may be better to find a clean shell and build to that, rather than try to repair what you have. That would both solve the panels problem and make your work a lot easier.

There is Jake's in NC, which is still open but no longer shipping. Road trip! http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184252
                Last edited by tgreese; 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

There are lots of rust free parts out here in Cali but shipping is $$$. Might still be cheaper than having it fab'ed though. I would post a wanted ad in the classifieds. I am sure someone has one they can chop out.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 03, 2002

windshield frame repair/replace

a very good project explanation

welcome to the asylum
                    Michel
                    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                    X