Review - Tad Rack Brackets for stock roof rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review - Tad Rack Brackets for stock roof rack

First off many thanks to Tad for fabbing up some brackets for my 88 Grand Wagoneer. I finally got around to putting them on and am very pleased with the fitment and function of them for use with my OEM stock mounted roof rack.

I like many other Grand Wagoneer owners had a leaking roof due to the OEM vanity roof rack being pulled thru the roof due to poor engineering of JEEP using those crappy rubber well nuts. What were they thinking!!!!

Tak a look at what happened in the below picture:

This is the problem area, and if your wag has even just a little bit of age and use, you can bet yours are at least leaking. Wonder why so many jeeps are rusted out in the floors and rear rockers? Is your headliner sagging? You probably don't realize it but you are roof rack well nuts are stressed or ripped and leaking! Just grab a hold of the roof rack bracket, I bet it is loose. Don't tighten it, the well nut will just pull the rest of way through! Only solution is to drop the headliner, beg tad to make you some brackets and seal it up right and be done with it. Oh and then repair your headliner which is probably already sagging.

Anyway here is what you get when you order your brackets from Tad (tadsal on this board).

Save your old roof rack screws (torx head). Tad's done the home work and welded the 1/4-20 bolt to his brackets in the proper orientation. The stock screws are plenty long enough to fit.

You'll need a nut driver socket like shown in the picture and a drill to drive the new sheet metal screws that tad supplies with the brackets.

Note: Probably not necessary, but I primed my brackets, mostly to make better pictures, but also to keep them from rusting if it leaks again, which I don't think it will!

Easy install after the headliner is out, I used clear caulking on the underside of the roof between bracket, and then again on top before I sandwiched in the rubber foot that was already there with the oem roof rack leg. I also coated the threads with a nice dose of caulk and then buttoned things down till it felt secure. Final step was filling the top screw hole with a lil caulk just for added measure. These aren't going to leak now, and the fit was perfect and very secure.

See installed pictures:

Lets face it, the stock rack isn't meant for heavy storage, probably more for appearance. Tad actually makes a real rack if you want to tie a dear or your Aunt Edna up top using these same brackets (with a differently sized welded nut on them) regardless, you can be confident whatever rack you have it isn't going anywhere.

In summation, I am very pleased with the brackets and fitment as well as new found utility of the oem roof rack. I'd suggest doing a dry run like I did without caulk sealing in order to line everything up first and then follow by driving the sheet metal screws into the inside rail to avoid mistakes! My installation was flawless!

Thanks again tad for your help and sorry it took me so long to get these on. As you can see I never did get the exterior roof painted (which I was using as an excuse to delay the install). Believe it or not my better half actually thinks I should wait and just get the entire jeep painted so everything matches perfectly. She's cool like that! So in the meantime, I've installed the brackets until that day comes.

[ January 24, 2006, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Jeepeta ]
  • chr1s
    360 AMC
    • Jun 17, 2003

Looking good man!! I also think Tad should win an award for his packing skills, took me 2 hours to unrap my tadrack [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
    88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
    "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

• Jayrodoh
      360 AMC
      • Sep 07, 2004

Originally posted by chr1s:
      Looking good man!! I also think Tad should win an award for his packing skills, took me 2 hours to unrap my tadrack [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      Ditto that!
      Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

• backpack09
        327 Rambler
        • Nov 09, 2005

I would stay away from silicone caulk in automotive applications. Silicone dries up and becomes pretty rigid after only a few months. As the metal in your car shrinks and expands with the temperature you will get leaks again as the silicone loses its grip on the metal.

I recommend using 3m's Window weld. It is sold at Advance Automotive up here. It stays flexible and bonds very well to smooth finishes like metal or glass.
        Dan G
        91 GrandWag
        MSD Mag Dizzy, MSD 6A

Comment

Good point, I used some clear stuff I had left over.

For me only temporary until I remove the roof rack for paint.

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

That looks great.
            Congratulations on the baby, consider the brackets my gift (you're gonna need every spare dime now).

PS: Thanks for posting up with the pic's.
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• mtn goat
              304 AMC
              • Apr 30, 2001

You could use RTV too. I know it wont dry out after millions of years...just look at the goo on the inside of my valve cover.
              \'82 Cherokee WIDE TRACK<br />258/T176/NP208/D44/20 Rack of Tad, BIG Orange fender, funny blue hood!<br />I must go and tend to my molecules, they need me to grow big and strong...Polymer Power!!!!

Comment

• Rande
                Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                • Jun 26, 2000

Believe it or not my better half actually thinks I should wait and just get the entire jeep painted so everything matches perfectly. She's cool like that! [/QB]
                Does she have a sister?
                N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
                1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
                1966 Mustang
                1937 IH D2

Comment

Originally posted by Rande:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Believe it or not my better half actually thinks I should wait and just get the entire jeep painted so everything matches perfectly. She's cool like that!
                  Does she have a sister? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, she's an only child!

Comment

Working...
                  X