• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackj10
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 19, 2012

Question on 4.0 Head swap

Starting to accumulate parts for the swap. Got a 7120 head from a '93 grand cherokee with 134k. Head with front housing, valve cover, exhaust manifold, and head pipe for 80 bucks. Sound like a fair deal? Can I use my 258 pushrods? I most likely will swap out my BBD Carter for a MC2100 carb. Is there one camshaft that is better than others for that application? Will there be any change in oil delivery to the head? Thanks

I just asked on the AMC Eagle board if Gronk makes an adapter to put a 2100 onto the HO intake (I need to temporarily so I can drive my truck to the LPG certification shop)
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• blackj10
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 19, 2012

I'll end up using the intake off the 258 because I'm not switching to the hydro-boost brakes and am keeping the stock vacuum assist. Sounds like I'll need that adaptor people are talking about from summit.

Comment

His site isn't up and running yet, but check out http://gronkperformance.com/
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• jeepjerry
          304 AMC
          • Oct 12, 2008

You can use the 258 pushrods. Oil delivery is the same. To get more out of a 4.0 head swap, at least using a stock 4.0 camshaft helps quite a bit. The '87-95 cams are quite a bit better than the stock 258 ones. Yes, $80 is a good deal for the setup. You will want to get the downpipe from the ZJ or an XJ to plumb to your exhaust too.
          1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
          1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
          1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
          Kenosha, WI 53142
          http://www.alfanoperformance.com
          For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

• blackj10
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 19, 2012

Originally posted by jeepjerry
            You can use the 258 pushrods. Oil delivery is the same. To get more out of a 4.0 head swap, at least using a stock 4.0 camshaft helps quite a bit. The '87-95 cams are quite a bit better than the stock 258 ones. Yes, $80 is a good deal for the setup. You will want to get the downpipe from the ZJ or an XJ to plumb to your exhaust too.

thanks jeepjerry, much appreciated, after i get everything i need, i'll pull the engine and get to it... hope in the next couple months. jeep is a daily driver and working out of town hinders the process.

Comment

Whichever pushrods you use, be sure to check your lifter preload. If you have to have the head milled odds are you'll need to add some shims under the rockers to adjust.

aa
              1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• blackj10
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 19, 2012

Originally posted by Cecil14
                Whichever pushrods you use, be sure to check your lifter preload. If you have to have the head milled odds are you'll need to add some shims under the rockers to adjust.

aa
                Will do Cecil14....thanks for the advise.

Comment

Working...
                X