can I install a cam shaft in my driveway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • austinaubinoe
    360 AMC
    • Aug 08, 2010

can I install a cam shaft in my driveway?

IM trying to figure out exactly what engine modifications I want to do to my '91. Im definitely doing TFI, 670 TA, and an Air Gap, but I was thinking about a cam. My dad told me that he had one installed in a BMW with an I6 in the 80's and it made a big impact.

Is this something I can install by myself?

This kit seems like a nice deal: http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/SK10-200-4/10002/-1

thanks
    Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
    5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
    SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
    -1994 Baby Grand
    -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
    -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
    -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
    i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
    i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

you can,the rad and a/c condenser will need to come out to make room for withdrawing and installing the cam.

performer cam is cheaper and works great.

670ta is overkill on a stock block 360,as is the rpm intake. will cost you some throttle response and fuel economy.

Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

I am not so sure that your driveway will perform any better than before to be honest.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

as long as it's not a hi-lift cam it won't scrape the bottom of the car as he drives over it.
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• drlocke
          Roadside Mechanic
          • Dec 29, 2003

If it is high enough lift to enable me to stand under my cars to work on them--where do I sign!!!????

Comment

• drlocke
            Roadside Mechanic
            • Dec 29, 2003

That said I still wonder why someone would wanna put in a warmed-over cam that elevates a motor's performance in ways that cannot be used without running the risk of ticking off the cops only to lose stability and control at the low end which can be important in offroad use where you may have to gently finesse your way out of a tight spot....

When the weather finally becomes decent here I plan to do a 2-to-4bbl mod on my Waggy, and that's the extent to which I am apt to go. I'm not sure I'd want a car that is champing at the bit and lurching around like a racehorse at the gate. Ridden enough horses like that, thanks.

Sorry to be a grumpy old Yankee here, but changing my attitude is too much like work for a lazy bahstid like me....

Comment

• Chrome
              Ph.D in Redneckology
              • Aug 30, 2002

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
              I am not so sure that your driveway will perform any better than before to be honest.
              ROFLMAO!!! Thanks Flint! Nothing like spewing Green Tea all over the puter screen first thing in the morning.
              ..,=====,o00o
              //__l_l_,\____\,__
              l_---\_l__l---0
              lllllll0
              _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• tazjeeper
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 05, 2010

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                I was thinking the same thing LOL
                JEEP Why did they make so many??? I just don't have the time to buy them all...LOL

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                  360 AMC
                  • Aug 08, 2010

Originally posted by Ristow
                  you can,the rad and a/c condenser will need to come out to make room for withdrawing and installing the cam.

performer cam is cheaper and works great.

670ta is overkill on a stock block 360,as is the rpm intake. will cost you some throttle response and fuel economy.

Thanks for the response. First of all Fuel Economy is not a concern. I didnt buy a V8 Wagoneer to save gas, I just want to make the most power for my money. I was looking at the Edelbrock mild performer cam, and performer intake, but I feel like EVERYBODY runs this setup. I want to try something different.

On the JEGS site the 670 is recommended for a 350-400 ci V8, while the smaller 470 is recommended for a 4,6, or 8 cylinder under 330ci. This is gonna be a street machine, so maybe I would be better off with a street avenger? However, If a TA would work just the same, I would prefer it because it is a Jeep!
                  I am also going for a full 3" Doug Thorley exhaust. If that matters.

I was doing a little reading about installing a cam.
                  -First I remove the intake and carb (doing this anyways!),
                  -pull out lifters and push rods,
                  -remove timing cover, remove timing chain (probably worn out after 130k)
                  -remove 3 bolts holding upper timing gear to cam
                  -slowly pull out cam, spinning carefully

I would definitely take this opportunity to install a new timing set, new lifters, and new rods. maybe even new valve springs. I dont know a whole lot about rebuilding motors, but im pretty sure I could do all of those things without specialty engine tools. Guess I would also drop the pan and inspect the oil pump, and replace the rear main seal. I would also do that oil mod while I had the intake out!
                  Last edited by austinaubinoe; 04-05-2011, 06:20 AM.
                  Austin

Others:
                  -1994 Baby Grand
                  -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                  -1955 Willys Pickup

Comment

• Billygoat
                    304 AMC
                    • Mar 16, 2004

How is your oil pressure?
                    If it is is low you probably need new cam bearings, and that may be tricky with the engine in the truck.

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                      360 AMC
                      • Aug 08, 2010

Its great, especially running 15W40. I have never seen it drop below 40 psi after start up. It usually sits around 55psi.

AMC 360 with Holley carb, edelbrock performer intake, dual exhaust with thrush 2 chamber mufflers.

What do you think about a "thumper" cam. They supposedly give the sound of an aggressive cam, without hurting the cars streetability,
                      Austin

Others:
                      -1994 Baby Grand
                      -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                      -1955 Willys Pickup

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                        • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
                        I was looking at the Edelbrock mild performer cam, and performer intake, but I feel like EVERYBODY runs this setup.
                        I think there's a reason that the Performer Plus cam is very popular. It's a good cam.

Lunati has one that shows slightly more torque than the Performer, but it's also about $150 more, IIRC.
                        Ethan Brady
                        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Guess I would also drop the pan and inspect the oil pump,
                          amc's have an "external"oil pump.no need to drop the pan to service
                          85 gw 215k and still going
                          castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                          89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• RedBeard2
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 04, 2011

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
                            I was looking at the Edelbrock mild performer cam, and performer intake, but I feel like EVERYBODY runs this setup. I want to try something different.
                            Sounds like it's a pretty good setup then. But, then again, there is something to be said for being different.
                            RedBeard2...

Jeepless

Comment

• Rich88
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Nov 20, 2008

I'm in the planning & purchasing stage of an upper end upgrades, including an RV cam.

I asked a similiar question recently knowing cam R&R is possible by yourself, except I asked about cam bearings. Turns out it requires engine removal and bearing R&R by either a pro in his shop, or yourself with an expensive cam bearing tool, and with risk of screwing things up badly.

And the reason I was asking is because its known that cam bearing wear is a major contributor to low oil pressure, and hardest to get to for a cure. And I wouldn't want to put in a new cam on old bearings. I would think that the older the original cam is, the less desirable it would be to replace it without doing the bearings too.

It would be a shame to go through all that work only to have low oil pressure issues and be the only reason for another tear-down long before it would otherwise be necessary.
                              Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                              88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                              "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

Working...
                              X