Why to stay away from the vendor in FLA who refinishes GW trim and flips GW's on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • racegas
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 15, 2012

Why to stay away from the vendor in FLA who refinishes GW trim and flips GW's on Ebay

To start with, I take full responsibility for what I bought. I could have called the sale off but chose to press ahead. I am hoping that if just one of you sees this and thinks twice, I've prevented someone making the same mistake.

I won't go into the list of issues we discovered after the car was delivered. I'm going to focus on the picture above. When the seller sent me additional pictures, I specifically asked about a dark spot on the paint around the rear window, in the upper right side. At first, he said he didn't see it. When I sent him the picture, with the area circled, he said it was just some dirt that he cleaned off. Fast forward to six months later - paint in that area has cracked and rust stain is coming down from the crack. Actually is happening on upper left side as well. I start checking roof rack and slide strip screws and gaskets. All looks good, no sign of water on inside either. I get around to using some Bondo glazing putty to try and seal the cracks, paint with a rattle can, new seam tape on the standing seam. Within a few weeks, new paint has bubbled in one spot, cracked with rust stains on both sides. I start on left side, deciding to get to the bottom of it. Very quickly I find that that there is about 4-5 vertical inches of missing sheet metal due to rust, from the outside corner by the drip rail, laterally to the edge of the glass opening that the chrome 'C' slips over(the metal with the spot welds at the opening is solid. The rust was only the beginning. The entire cavity behind the missing metal was filled with Great Googley Moogley spray foam....

I didn't take pictures of what I found or the repair. I suspected that I would find the same thing when I dug into the right side. Today, I was replacing the felt for the window and bingo, this is what I found. It was a carbon copy of what I saw on the left, in the rectangular slot,...Spray Foam. Now I know what I'm dealing with.

The seller didn't title the GW in his name. He bought it from the previous owner, painted it and flipped it to me. The title I got still had the PO's name on it. So, I am confident in saying that he was responsible for the spray foam. I've made prior comments about staying away from him. Here is why in pictures.
    'Robert E Lee'
    89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)
  • medinajim2000
    350 Buick
    • Oct 28, 2005

Wow!
    https://www.facebook.com/ClassicGrandWagoneers/

87 GW (White) - Incoming
    89 GW (Black Cherry) - In Resto
    85 GW (Gold) - In Resto
    86 GW (Garnet) - In Resto
    84 GW (Bronze) - In Resto
    89 GW (Gray) - (Gone)
    89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
    87 GW (White)(Gone)
    86 GW (Blue)(Gone)
    88 GW (Gray)(Gone)
    89 GW (Gold)(Gone)
    89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
    75 Cherokee S (Blue)(Gone)

Comment

That would make a butcher rebuilder cringe and puke. This kind of stuff is why I won't ever get anything I haven't inspected first hand.

As a 40 year body tech, I feel for you trying to repair properly. Makes you wonder what and where the rest of the issues are...........
      Art
      ASE Master Collision Tech
      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• asudchiman
        327 Rambler
        • Feb 03, 2016

sorry to hear that!
        Current Jeep Fleet:
        1993 Wrangler Sahara (YJ) Stock, 52k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Black] 4" Lift, 32's, 92k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Stock, 60k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Restored (for sale)
        ------------------------------------------------
        Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• darylb
          232 I6
          • Jan 22, 2015

I found nearly inch thick Bondo over a flat body patch on a 58 Jag. Want to talk about what else I found when I stripped the body? I once worked with a guy who bought a beautiful late 60s Pontiac. He took it on a road trip from Utah to California and when he got back half of the paint was gone and there were literal holes in the car from where Bondo had been put over what looked to be rust holes the size of basketballs all over one side of the car and the entire top. I think the guy who did the body work was a sheet rocker who just filled in the holes with mud and then sanded and painted.
          Always bring a magnet when you look at a car.
          1973 J4800 - 401- TH400 Novac Stage 2 - D20

Comment

Working...
          X