X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coryd55
    350 Buick
    • Jan 23, 2010

Today, I planned on picking up some Edelbrock headers from someone on the GA forum for $150. Well, I went and picked them up but I also came back with a windshield and the plastic reservoirs for free.

So the free windshield saves me about $50-$100 that I can spend on other stuff now. HUGE thank you to Steve and Mike. Steve was out in Alabama so I talked to Mike (his father) - real nice guy.

Pictures:

1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• Coryd55
      350 Buick
      • Jan 23, 2010

Did some body work tonight (June 1, 2010). I got a wire wheel for an electric drill along with some other supplies (grinding, cutting, and sanding wheels).

Used the wire wheel to remove the rust on the roof. Then I put some rust remover on the areas that I used the wheel on. Leaving it on over night. Will do some more rust removal tomorrow. Pics tomorrow.
      Last edited by Coryd55; 06-02-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Coryd55
        350 Buick
        • Jan 23, 2010

Today I did a decent amount of work on the Jeep.

Finished up the rust on the sides of the roof. Those areas are now primed and rust-free. I also used a wire wheel to remove some other rust and primed those areas as well.

I removed the side markers, tail lights, headlight pans, roof rack and bars, and headliner and trim.

I discovered some unwanted surprises, mainly rust. When I removed the roof rack there were pitted rust spots everywhere and rust under the bars. Also, most of the screws that when through the bars were rusted beyond reuse. When I removed the headliner, rust literally fell from the roof. There was soggy cardboard and surface rust coating the entire ceiling. I had to remove the roof braces for a bit to remove the soggy cardboard that was stuck under them. I also scraped some of the surface rust off of the ceiling and vacuumed it up.

I also discovered the original color of the Chero - tan.

A lot more work was discovered today. Hopefully I can get through all of it. It would be really beneficial to sand blast the whole Jeep but I don't think that is in my budget.

I also called the local powdercoating place. Considering powder coating all of the chrome trim pieces (side marker bezels, grille, roof rack, roof bars, tail light housing, door handles [interior and exterior], interior window cranks, etc.). They didn't answer so I left a message - hopefully receiving a call back Monday about prices unless anyone has an idea of what it will cost.

Pictures:

As she sits today (covered to keep water out):

Plan to work with Rich starting at 8:30 AM tomorrow. Hopefully we can get some more stuff done.

Will update tomorrow.

Comment

• Coryd55
          350 Buick
          • Jan 23, 2010

Just got in from doing some more work.

I removed rust again today. I got the small spots on the tailgate, the top of the roof (mainly under the roof rack bars), and some other random spots.

Instead of the electric drill I have been using, I hooked up the air grinder and used that.

Rich cut off the stock exhaust manifolds. If anyone wants them, you can have them. Just come pick them up. I won't ship them.

Also, I took of the hood for easier access to get some rust off.

I will probably be going out in a bit to remove some rust in the engine bay and from the hood.

Pictures:

Comment

• Coryd55
            350 Buick
            • Jan 23, 2010

Got back in at about 9PM.

I removed some rust via air grinder from the engine bay and the hood (didn't get too much done on the hood, mainly engine bay) - that is mainly saved for tomorrow.

Removed the front bumper with my dad and SURPRISE! more rust.... The entire back of the bumper was rusted and the brackets are rusted completely (mainly surface, not pitted). There was also some rust spots that were hidden by the bumper.

We started removing the rear bumper as well, but called it quits before I got the bolts on either end of the bumper. There is undoubtedly the same amount of rust under the rear.

Picture: - I'm sure everyone (especially slow connection) is sick of them, but they are for documentation's sake...

Comment

• Coryd55
              350 Buick
              • Jan 23, 2010

Didn't get out to work on her today due to rain. However I should be getting a HEI distributor and a 1-ton hydroboost from a member on here for $175 with $35 shipping.

Thanks for keeping up,
              Last edited by Coryd55; 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• rmorit01
                350 Buick
                • Nov 13, 2004

Good work. It is interesting to see someone tackle the rust like this. Makes easy to see how much work I have ahead of me.
                79 Cherokee S

Comment

• Coryd55
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 23, 2010

Paid for the HB and HEI today.

I talked to Steve on the GA forum, who has a PS setup that I am going to get this weekend. Not sure how much yet. Something around $50.00.

I finally got out today since it didn't rain. Has rained everyday since my last post. I didn't get much done but I primed the areas on the roof that I had sanded the other day (had to go back over them again with the sander and use the rust removing solution to make sure I got the small particles "killed").

I will hopefully prime the tailgate before we go out of town this weekend so it doesn't sit exposed any longer. I am already going to have to go back over it. I hate humidity and rain...not ideal for removing rust.

Will update with pictures when I get all the new used stuff. I'm already tired of body work and it has only just begun...

Comment

• Coryd55
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 23, 2010

Went to Steve's house to get the power steering pump and gear box ($40) and got to see his beast. Impressive to say the least. also, brought the windshield that we got a week or so ago home.

Haven't heard from dmntxn77 (HEI and HB)...not sure what's going on. Have sent payment but he hasn't contacted me...

Rearranged the garage and moved her in so that the climate doesn't take a further toll on the Chero.

Update tomorrow after I get some work done.

Comment

• Coryd55
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 23, 2010

Got the tailgate primed and I re-removed the rust one the roof and primed it again. Hopefully since she is in the garage, the rust will stay at bay until I can get the paint on.

Someone from a local bodyshop (Bi-City Bodyworks) is going to stop by Wednesday at 10:00AM to talk to me about the bodywork and see what he can do to help.

Dmntxn77 sent me the tracking number for the HEI and HB. Should be here Thursday.

More updates later. Thanks for keeping up.

Last edited by Coryd55; 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Coryd55
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 23, 2010

Talked to Rich today. He is going to build the engine with me and get it in within the next two weeks and I am going to get some more help for the rest of the work.

The man from the local body shop (Bi-City Bodyworks) came over today - Derrel. He talked with me for about 20 minutes about all the work and gave me several tips on the bodywork. He said after I finish all the filler, sanding, and priming, he would come out and check my work and tell me what needs some more sanding or what needs less sanding. He gave me a list of items that I would need and told me to go to Car Color to get them.

Then I went to Car Color to get all the stuff he told me to get. I got a jar of Evercoat Metal Glaze (putty), long sanding block, short sanding block, roll of 120 grit Stikit sandpaper, can of One-Step rust converter and sealer, can of Dyna-Glass fiberglass filler, and 40 grit sandpaper file sheets. This all totaled out to be $139.52.

When I got back from the store, I went out and worked on the rust in the engine bay and surrounding area. I sanded all the rust spots with the air sander and then I used the One-Step rust converter and sealer. The One-Step works very well but it is a little pricey at $11.00 per spray can. After 3-4 coats of One-Step, I applied primer and pushed her back in the garage.

Also got a Haynes 72-91 Wagoneer/Pick-Up/Cherokee manual.

Pictures of the engine bay and materials:

Last edited by Coryd55; 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Coryd55
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 23, 2010

Started working on the hood today but then it started to rain. The rain has since stopped so I might go back out in a bit.

Good news: The HEI and Hydroboost came today and it all looks good.

Pictures:

Comment

• Coryd55
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 23, 2010

Got quite a bit of work done today:

Got started on work at about 9:30. Sanded the hood and engine bay with the air sander. We removed the grille and set it aside. I used some One-Step rust converter on some areas of the engine bay that I could't reach with the grinder. Then I taped off the engine bay and primed it. After the primer dried for a little while we applied a coat of Rustoleum flat black high temp paint (two coats).

Just removed the tape and the paint is drying the rest of the way. It turned out okay. I will have to redo the heater box because I sprayed some glossy paint to see what it would look like and I didn't like it. When the flat black was sprayed over top of it, it left some unattractive markings.

She is now back in the garage. Got back in at about 5:10.

Pictures:

Thanks

Comment

• Coryd55
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 23, 2010

Didn't get out today due to rain so, hopefully, I can get to the hood and spot in the engine bay tomorrow.

I think I have decided on yellow as the body and engine color (block, intake manifold, and valve covers). This will be with a gray interior. I think it will look nice. Opinions?

Comment

• BriansCJ
                                230 Tornado
                                • Jun 25, 2010

I think Black "Jeep" valve covers and headers would look nice. As well as other Black accents on the outside.

Comment

Working...
                                X