• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • streetglide
    232 I6
    • Feb 06, 2009

Project J20 money Pit Has Begun.!!

After bringing my new found treasure home, I couldn't leave well enough alone.

It all started with a simple tune up, then snowballed from there.

This is the point where I need some serious moral support and probably more alcohol to get me thru this phase.

Anytime sombody wants to chime in and reasure me I'm doing the right thing ,and it will be O-K in the end, feel free...! Right now I'm thinking Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley have I gotten myself into. But,.. I'm going to stick with it untill either I hang myself, or my credit cards are all maxed out...! Once I get the floors done, the rest should be gravy. Anybody got a spare cab laying around? I'm a little concerned about my pant leg getting caught in the driveshaft..
    Last edited by streetglide; 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM.
    84 J20..Down to frame resto at the moment. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98908
    69 Dodge Coronet(Super-wanna-Bee)
    77 Dodge M880
  • Saltyfeather
    232 I6
    • Sep 27, 2008

First off, put the credit cards away....far away! Second, I didn't know they had Swiss Cheese in Michigan . And third...........there is no third, just have fun and enjoy the satisfaction you'll get out of a job well done!
    Keep us up to date on your build.
    85 GW - Resto Mode

Comment

• j10jim
      327 Rambler
      • Jan 11, 2003

It looks like a great ride. There is someone on here that makes new floor pans. You are doing the right thing. Of course if you want to put it back together I am sure you could sell it quickly, but I really think you will be fine.
      1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• baybilly
        304 AMC
        • Jul 10, 2004

man thats not that bad. you should see some of the flintstone rigs out here on the east coast Gary makes some real nice floor pans for our rigs . i put them in my 80 cherokee, ya a pita but when your done you can step on the floor and it will stay warm in the winter. sweet ride man keep us posted.
        I'll keep my guns, money and freedom, you can have the change !!!!!
        baybilly = dave
        1980 cherokee 401, TFI,msd, 4", 35's, The money pit!!!!
        77 cherokee S ,parts
        78 j10 , one day i'll get to it.
        84 J10, parts
        51 Willys
        88 XJ, DD
        92 XJ, the other half claimed it, DD
        1966 GT-350 mustang/ project

Comment

• gte901m
          350 Buick
          • Jun 24, 2007

Thast not bad. OBX-AUTOMOTIVE is the member on here that makes floor pans. PM him. Also, BJ's sells floor pans too.

Cut out the old and weld in the new.

What are your plans for the truck? If you just want a nice truck, weld in new floor pans and put it back together. If you want a completely redone truck, now is the time to take it down to the frame.
          Where are we going and why am I in this basket?

Comment

• streetglide
            232 I6
            • Feb 06, 2009

I keep telling myself its not as bad as it looks. This is the worst, and probably the only real body work so to speak of that needs any amount of serious attention. After this, the rest should be gravy?. The main longitudinal cab supports are still pretty stout. The short supports that come in from the rockers can still be salvaged with a little work. The rockers are in great shape, so all is not lost. It's just a little more of a challenge than originally planned. I know it can be done, it just looks a little overwhelming to me at times. I'll keep everyone posted periodically on the progress. Thanks to everyone for the support.........!
            84 J20..Down to frame resto at the moment. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98908
            77 Dodge M880

Comment

• streetglide
              232 I6
              • Feb 06, 2009

gte901m
              I plan on taking it down to the frame, and going up from there. It will get blasted, painted, lifted, and most every nut and bolt replaced. The bed is in decent shape as well as the doors. The fenders are fixable, but will most likely go fiberglass. The time and money I'd put into fixing the existing fenders would exceed just getting the fiberglass ones. A new engine with some heavy mods will also be in order. Might as well do it right the first time and be done with it......
              77 Dodge M880

Comment

• gte901m
                350 Buick
                • Jun 24, 2007

Just an FYI, those factory J20 hub caps could earn you a few coins, if you plan on getting new rims.
                Where are we going and why am I in this basket?

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

Not too bad, just time consuming... I have a number of cabs to do that aren't quite that bad. Just dive in.
                  *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                  ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• badaboom
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 05, 2001

More like a wishing Well LOL

Yeah there much worse. I can't wait to see mine when I start tearing it apart . Those floor boards look more like a wishing well, than a Money Pit.
                    1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• Rob z
                      350 Buick
                      • May 05, 2005

Cool rig. Do it right the first time.
                      89 Grand Rottweiler shuttle

Comment

• Mr Haney
                        232 I6
                        • Mar 19, 2005

those tires

Yeah, that wont be too tough on the floors to fix. Hey, those tires are exactly what I am looking for! Could you tell me what size they are and what brand name they are? Thanks and best of luck! mr haney
                        Mr. Haney----- Ive owned 15 or so of these Jeeps-----definitely Love/ Hate relationships!

Comment

• newtojeeps
                          350 Buick
                          • Jun 28, 2006

Not intended to take money out of the mouths here on the site . I just went and bought a piece of 18 gauge metal and cut out the bad parts, made some cardboard templates, and made my own. Weld caulk and bark coat. Walla

Comment

• shaolinsifu
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 21, 2008

I've seen repair panels on ebay for the cab floors even- wow,that's a pretty involved tune up...I don't recall having to pull the front clip off to get to the spark plugs !
                            85 Grand Wag:360 *219k* 4bl 1406, tfi upgrade, rear 3" blocks,front(get this) "rear"shackle drop kit (net 5" lift) , 265.70.16 bfg at's,flomaster40,boobie grille swap

Comment

• chuckchili
                              258 I6
                              • Feb 18, 2008

I saw your post earlier today and am just now getting around to replying...I think the before and after pics put me into shock. That is a great looking truck and I think after you slap some new floors in there, the rest will fall into place. You picked a good platform to start with. You certainly are not lacking in enthusiasm or from the looks of things, energy. Good luck
                              CURRENTLY JEEP-LESS BUT ALWAYS LOOKING
                              Past Jeeps:
                              1966 J2000 Gladiator
                              1979 J10
                              1983 401 Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X