78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

My son Jake came home for the weekend from LSU and helped me hang the tailgate.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

I was worried about the color matching, but it looks fine next to the quarter panel.
        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

So is that the rest of your painting? I mean, like cracking out the HVLP, careful masking, and base/clear? The rest is just little things here and there, right?
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

So is that the rest of your painting?
            Nope, the hood and front fenders are the wrong color, it is darker than the rest of the jeep. A gallon was mixed wrong at NAPA.
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

I ordered a few things from BJ's Monday. The stainless lift bar for the tailgate glass is on back order. I'am off of work next week and was thinking I would be wrapping up the tailgate, but maybe not.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

Really taking my time and trying to make sure everything is where it needs to be. Serehill did a great job figuring out how to fit that stuff in the gate. When I started fitting things, I said to myself, no way it was going to fit. It is very tight but I know it fits.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

I have the safety switch wired in and I was able to pull the harness through that small hole at the bottom of the tailgate. Also have the wires for the license plate light in place, but not to a power source yet.
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• chubbinius
                    258 I6
                    • Oct 31, 2018

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                    Really taking my time and trying to make sure everything is where it needs to be. Serehill did a great job figuring out how to fit that stuff in the gate. When I started fitting things, I said to myself, no way it was going to fit. It is very tight but I know it fits.
                    Wow, that is one clean and shiny looking tailgate. Very nice!
                    1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                    -Dauntless 350 V8
                    -D27 front/D44 rear
                    2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• bwwhaler
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 17, 2012

I want to see where you mount the plate, I never could figure out how to mount it in there, I talked to Rick several times, and just couldn't figure it out. I just have mine lying in there unsecured, but it keeps getting wet and blowing fuses...
                      87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                      Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

bwwhaler, here is where I mounted mine. Two things, I have not tried it with the glass in place yet, but the regulator does clear it when going up and down. Also the harness I have does no have that bulky remote unit that I have seen in some of the upgraded harnesses.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• bwwhaler
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 17, 2012

Thanks, that's where I figured he was talking about, I will mount mine there when I get back in there, which will be soon... will probably solve my fuse problem also. I don't have the optional remote,(didn't have the money at the time), so mine is exactly like yours....
                          87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                          Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

The relays on mine were wired wrong. 87A on the relay should be left disconnected. For some reason, the harness had ground wires running to both relays at 87A. My father-in-law helped me trace down the problem. It was trying to put 12 volts to both sides of the motor at the same time. With 87A disconnected, I goes up and down really quick. Can't wait to get it finished! Feels good to have a win every now in then!!!
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 20, 2014

The white wire with the black stripe in the middle was the problem.
                              Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 02-21-2020, 02:46 PM.
                              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 20, 2014

Pulled those two wires, and we are now in business!
                                Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 02-21-2020, 02:46 PM.
                                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X