Modified $40 1.5" lift S.F. (Pics fixeed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smacaroni
    258 I6
    • May 04, 2011

Originally posted by jeepfan93
    Someone talk to me about the Explorer or F150 spring thing. What years fit? How much lift over stock? Bolt in? Do they move the axle position?
    Thanks
    I'm happy with the Exploder spring. Yes they bolt in easy enough, I may have had to take the grinder to them slightly, but nothing huge. Axle moves forward a tiny bit, I can't recall off the top of my head, it's not enough to notice once the wheels are mounted.
    My only piece of advice is if you're buying used springs, take one from the left side of two different vehicles (unless you live in a country that drives on the wrong side of the road, in which case, two right side springs) because the crap that collects on the curb side makes more rust and thus it's more difficult to remove.

ETA: get new U-bolts, I got mine bent by a local big rig supplier for $28. I had to turn the bolt that holds the leaf stack around and I would suggest replacing that with a new one as well. IIRC these were $3 ea.
    1982 Wagoneer LTD, Slushbox, I6 w/ 4.0 head, Explorer rear spring, 4.0 timing set/cover and backwards fuel gauge. How many gallons per mile do you make?
    Proper grammar dictates the question is "may I borrow your BFH?" To which I answer "yes, you may, no take the bigger one, you'll need it".

Comment

• jeepfan93
      304 AMC
      • Feb 07, 2006

Well I'll see. I have a new pair of rear springs, but looking for a bit more flex or softer ride in the rear. I deal with a spring manufacturer directly so prices aren't a concern for new stuff. I thought if the Explorer or F150 had thinner leaves but more of them, I could get a better ride. Then again, I have 2 RC front springs with 2.5 AAL front and rear so I'm sre anything would ride better. But to be honest, my ride is pretty good. All the extra weight helps. Gearing up for an SOA so if anything I would rather the rear axle go back an inch. Just to not cut the door side of the wheel well.
      Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
      >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
      87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
      1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• smacaroni
        258 I6
        • May 04, 2011

I know bupkis about vehicle suspension.
        The Exploder spring has an overload leaf, here's a comparison photo to the stocker for an 82 Limited:
        1982 Wagoneer LTD, Slushbox, I6 w/ 4.0 head, Explorer rear spring, 4.0 timing set/cover and backwards fuel gauge. How many gallons per mile do you make?
        Proper grammar dictates the question is "may I borrow your BFH?" To which I answer "yes, you may, no take the bigger one, you'll need it".

Comment

• blake5179
          232 I6
          • Jan 07, 2011

Just curious about the Exploder rear springs, it looks like 1st and 2nd gen exploders would probably all have the same rear suspension ('91-'01)
          Is that what these springs came from?
          1977 Cherokee
          360 V8 T18 Manual Dana 20 TC
          Lockers front and back
          Warn 5721 winch
          36" TSL's beadlocks
          Holley Fuel Injection
          Front manual hubs
          SOA and SF

Comment

• Hippie Metal
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 11, 2009

Flexxy pitcherz!!!
            1984 GW T18/205

Originally posted by TheDude
            Garrett called me maybe 30 minutes ago with a blown tire, but knowing PBR is on the line not much can stop us

Comment

• coreyw454
              232 I6
              • May 09, 2017

has anyone on here done this? I know this is a way old thread. I got the same hangers used here but they do look pretty weak. I am wondering if anyone has put any miles on this setup with these hangers?
              1985 Grand Wagoneer (current project)
              1973 Wagoneer (next project)

Comment

• blazer3664
                350 Buick
                • Mar 08, 2009

Second rig I have done it to

Never had any problems with them.

Never tried to air out this rig either, I can only imagine it would fly like a brick, and land worse.

Rig is currently in rebuild status. These mounts are one of few things that will NOT be changed.
                modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
                LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
                SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
                custom shackle flip
                W/F150 springs
                -----Coming Soon-----
                snorkels,
                OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• coreyw454
                  232 I6
                  • May 09, 2017

thanks for the reply. alright, hopefully next weekend I will be installing them.
                  1985 Grand Wagoneer (current project)
                  1973 Wagoneer (next project)

Comment

Working...
                  X