Modified $40 1.5" lift S.F. (Pics fixeed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 76FSChief
    258 I6
    • Feb 19, 2010

Look forward to updates WHENEVER you are able to give them! Thanks again.

Comment

• p@55w0rd
      232 I6
      • Mar 09, 2010

Has anyone else tried this yet? I just found out that I need to run 2" blocks with my lift and this would be a nice alternative.
      Project: 1979 Wagoneer 360, Turbo 400, Q-Track, and Dana 44's
      Lovingly refereed to as the "The Wagon"...
      Daily Driver: 2008 Jeep Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7L, Q-Trac II
      http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/jeepxk/DSC08388.jpg

Comment

• shaggywaggy88
        258 I6
        • Feb 22, 2011

Originally posted by p@55w0rd
        Has anyone else tried this yet? I just found out that I need to run 2" blocks with my lift and this would be a nice alternative.

this is a far better option than blocks! Go for it
        88 Grand Wag:
        Razor Grille
        Rusty's 4" spring lift
        BJs HD 1" shackles
        31" M/Ts
        Holley 4160, 600cfm
        T.F.I.
        Warn Hubs
        SOLID Diff cover
        999 X-member/T-case Skid
        Rag joint delete

Comment

• blazer3664
          350 Buick
          • Mar 08, 2009

My trans is going to my guy next week. Once it gets back and my adapter I just ordered gets here, I got to get all the little stuff buttoned up and make a temp rear shaft.

Then.................. I get to take it to the farm and flex it some. When that happens I will get some pics, LOTS of pics.

I hope to have it out there by the end of April to flex it and get measurements for some shocks.

Still a long way to go, but its getting there.............. slowly.

this is a far better option than blocks!
          If you wheel it, keep in mind, they will add to any axle wrap.

Jim
          modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
          LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
          SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
          H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
          custom shackle flip
          W/F150 springs
          -----Coming Soon-----
          snorkels,
          OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• p@55w0rd
            232 I6
            • Mar 09, 2010

Originally posted by blazer3664

If you wheel it, keep in mind, they will add to any axle wrap.

Jim
            What is the lesser of the two evils then? Blocks or this shackle flip?

EDIT: I see you were referring to the blocks and NOT the shackle flip...
            Last edited by p@55w0rd; 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• smacaroni
              258 I6
              • May 04, 2011

I put 4dr Exploder springs in mine and during my research found that F150 springs would probably work too but would give more lift than I wanted.
              While it's not any easier to get these out of a U-pull-it, it was cheaper and I didn't have to cut anything off.
              If you follow what I did (I don't remember who suggested it, but it's not *mine*), get springs from two different Fords and make sure they're both on the left side. The right side had much, much more corrosion and rust and was so much harder to remove.

ETA: It's right there (maybe why I subscribed to this thread since I never posted in it before?)

Originally posted by blazer3664
              I swapped in 97-03 F150 springs (4-5" lift) thinking it would be enough.
              Last edited by smacaroni; 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM.
              1982 Wagoneer LTD, Slushbox, I6 w/ 4.0 head, Explorer rear spring, 4.0 timing set/cover and backwards fuel gauge. How many gallons per mile do you make?
              Proper grammar dictates the question is "may I borrow your BFH?" To which I answer "yes, you may, no take the bigger one, you'll need it".

Comment

• blazer3664
                350 Buick
                • Mar 08, 2009

Ran across this today, thought it might be handy for those thinking of doing this, or some other hanger mod.

It will still be a while before I can test the function, as I have ran into some $$$ problems with work slowing down.
                Unfortunately that means the Jeep is on hold again/still/longer
                Still getting the hours to keep bills paid, just got to be VERY mindful of every cent right now.

On the good side, I did just trade a 700R4 I had laying around, for a 4L80e.
                Yep OD trans and doubler should have a gear for every situation now.

Jim
                SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                custom shackle flip
                W/F150 springs
                -----Coming Soon-----
                snorkels,
                OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• smacaroni
                  258 I6
                  • May 04, 2011

Hey, that's great. I hope it works out. I did the Exploder spring which wasn't too bad other than I'd suggest buying just the "inside" (for the US market, left) spring from two different vehicles.
                  However, the appeal of walking into any place that sells Dorman parts and saying "I'd like two Dorman 722-010 please" is encouraging.
                  1982 Wagoneer LTD, Slushbox, I6 w/ 4.0 head, Explorer rear spring, 4.0 timing set/cover and backwards fuel gauge. How many gallons per mile do you make?
                  Proper grammar dictates the question is "may I borrow your BFH?" To which I answer "yes, you may, no take the bigger one, you'll need it".

Comment

• p@55w0rd
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 09, 2010

I plan on doing this early next year to get rid of the blocks on the rear axle. What would happen if you used this in conjunction with the BJ's 1.5" shackle lifts front an back and combine it with an existing lift? What would that do to the driveline angles? Would a high steer be needed in the front in addition to a dropped pitman?
                    Last edited by p@55w0rd; 08-03-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• blazer3664
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 08, 2009

I plan on doing this early next year to get rid of the blocks on the rear axle.
                      This shackle flip would work well to get rid of 1.5"-2" blocks in the rear, depending how you set it up. Done this way, longer shackles will lift it more now as well.
                      What would happen if you used this in conjunction with the BJ's 1.5" shackle lifts front an back and combine it with an existing lift?
                      The shackle wont care if the springs are stock or lifted. You would gain an extra 1.5" of height. Sounds like a good thing to me, but 1.5" lift shackle would be 3" or so longer than stock. Thats starting to put a lot of leverage/stress on the mounts and frame( think pry-bar).

Might be OK, depending on your use. If you plan on beating it on the trail, I would probably stay with a little shorter shackle, like the 1/2" lift or MAYBE the 1" lift ones BJ's sells.

I dont care for long shackles for one of the same reasons I dont like blocks.
                      Why give your rig more leverage to tear itself apart? Shackles are a necessary evil (read as "pry-bar"), that I dont like making much worse (longer). That said, they are also one of the easiest parts to use for tuning the action/final ride height (within reason) of leaf spring suspension.

What would that do to the driveline angles? Would a high steer be needed in the front in addition to a dropped pitman?
                      Not enough info for me to try and answer that part here.
                      Post up in the off-road section, with your current specs, and what you are thinking of doing. Link this thread so they know what SF you are referring to, and I'm sure everybody will be able to help you figure out the best way to get what you want done.

Jim
                      SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                      custom shackle flip
                      W/F150 springs
                      -----Coming Soon-----
                      snorkels,
                      OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• jeepfan93
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 07, 2006

I'm liking this idea. Funny because I had a customer with a ranger come to me with the rear shackle mounts rusted off. Had to replace everything for front and rear springs, but looking at them I said "well, maybe this would work on my truck". Meaning the rear hangers. I did get new GW springs and when I took my existing springs out, I knew they would lower my truck. Think I may have the factory 5+1 springs, new springs are a 4+1. But I do want to get rid of my Rough Country lift blocks. 2" I think and be able to not have to call all over for Ubolts. Guess I need to take some measurements. I may end up with the BJ's 1" shackles just to level out the truck, my front suspension sits a little higher because I have a the RC 2" lift but then had to add a 2" helper spring up front to compensate for my bumper and winch.
                        Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
                        >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
                        87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
                        1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• ROK360
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 29, 2007

I am very interested in doing this and have ordered the Dorman bracket kits.
                          Crawling under the Waggie last night, I noticed that the exhaust will need to be relocated. Guess this is something I will have to investigate alittle further.

Cheers
                          ROK360
                          84 FSJ LTD (Aussie built in the Brisbane Jeep Factory)
                          'The LPG (propane) powered Canyonero'
                          Tow truck, Daily Driver, and adventure non-urban vehicle

Comment

• jeepfan93
                            304 AMC
                            • Feb 07, 2006

Someone talk to me about the Explorer or F150 spring thing. What years fit? How much lift over stock? Bolt in? Do they move the axle position?
                            Thanks
                            >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done

Comment

• blazer3664
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 08, 2009

Not sure on the Exploder springs, but ...... again the F150 info

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by blazer3664
                              I swapped in 97-03 F150 springs (4-5" lift) thinking it would be enough.
                              Different (meteric) bolts and I shaved the front spring bushings with a grinder to make them fit.

The bolts,
                              pick a size, either open up the bushing or use washers welded to the frame to make the holes smaller.

The F150 bushings have a sleave that is just a little longer that ours stock. A few light passes with an angle grinder. Swipe, test fit, swipe ..........................
                              I left mine where you have to wiggle and tap them in, dont want them loose.
                              Also, mind the heat you are making when grinding. Dont want to ruin those bushings. I am going to see if I can find some replacement bushings that fit the spring, and have our bolt size later.

I used th F150 shackles, so cant speak to how they fit in the stock shackles.

Jim
                              SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                              custom shackle flip
                              W/F150 springs
                              -----Coming Soon-----
                              snorkels,
                              OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• jeepfan93
                                304 AMC
                                • Feb 07, 2006

I see. So they are just a possibly cheaper option than using the regular stock springs available.

Comment

Working...
                                X