• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazydog
    350 Buick
    • Nov 19, 2005

Rebuilt 401 Cam Break In and Dyno Runs

Got back in town yesterday from taking the 401 to have the cam broke in and do a few dyno runs. I was a little hesitant about spending the money, but after thinking about how much I spent on building this motor, I kind of talked myself into as insurance that maybe some bad things would not happen.

A little background on the build. I picked up this 401 a few years ago and finally took it to the machine shop last January to see if the block, crank, and rods were rebuildable. When I first dropped it off, they thought that one cylinder might have to be sleaved because of rust. But, when they finally started boring, they found out it cleaned up and was fine at .030 over. I then contacted Matt about some pistons. He had a set of old TRW's on a shelf that were .030 over that we did a deal on. After going through ever cam profile I could find for an AMC and going back and forth if I wanted to spend the money to go with a roller, I finally decided on a Lunati 64502. It is advertised with a power range of 1600 - 5800 RPM. It has 220/226 duration at .050 and lift of .507 and .527. I liked it, because it appeared to take the most advantage of the large diameter lifter the AMC uses. Not too big on the duration, with some good lift. I figured this cam would work good with the Performer RPM Airgap, Performer RPM heads, and headers I wanted to run. I added some Lunati lifters, Edelbrock push rods, and Harland Sharp rockers to round out the internals. The 401 did not come with a timing cover and I wanted to keep the 360 intact for if and when I do something with it. So, I ordered up some overkill from Matt.

Last spring, I pulled the 360 out about the same time I worked a deal with my brother for a Edelbrock 750 he had in exchange for my Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, and a player to be named later. I just swapped the Z & M HEI from the 360 for the 401. I had been planning on getting the Doug Thorley headers, but since you are not supposed to break in a new motor with new coated headers, I purchased some Hooker's since they have the same primary diameter and collector diameter. Sure the primarys are a little longer, but what the hay. I had on maybe selling the Hooker's after the dyno run and getting the Thorley's for when I install the motor, but as long as the Hookers fit with my other modifications, I think I will just run them for now.

I think that takes care of all of the engine stuff, so now for what happened.

My brother and I got to the shop about mid afternoon on Friday and between us and the guys at the shop (both employees and other customers), we spent the next three hours or so hooking up the engine and stuff. As a precaution, since the carb I had been sitting for over 10 years, they used a Holley 750 double pumper of theirs to do the break in and first few dyno pulls. We had everything just about square, when they noticed they needed some gas, so my brother drove down the road to get some more premium unleaded. He missed, but while he was gone, they fired up the 401 for the first time. I don't think it even turned over a full turn before it lit and took off. Wow, did it sound sweet!! He got back in few minutes and we watched as they check timing, oil pressure, tempratures and such while the cam was breaking in.

After breaking in the cam, they did the first pull. It peaked a 340 hp and 395 ft/lbs of torque. Not what I had expected, but then they explained that the nest day it would do better after cooling off over night. Saturday morning comes and the first pull makes peak numbers of 390 hp and 435 ft/lbs of torque. Alright, this is what I am talking about!! Then we swap on my carb and did some pulls. Since my brother never changed any rods or jets or anything, and it is looking a little rich, we decide to change the rods. We ended up with peak numbers of 392 hp and 429 ft/lbs of torque. And, it has a nice flat torque curve. This will probably be a good starting point once it is installed, but will need some more tuning since the dyno is 3000 ft lower in elevation than home.

All in all it was a fun experience. I had only seen this stuff done on TV. It sure made me want to build another one and see what it can do. But, I was real happy nothing broke or blew up.

Below are the numbers for the final pull and a graph of those numbers I made in Excel.

Last edited by crazydog; 05-02-2010, 01:46 PM.
    1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans
  • sld
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 04, 2006

Man look at all of that torque
    1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• Mark G
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 21, 2004

a very fine and greatly appreciated posty. That is indeed, some beastly stump-pulling torque!
      \"Carpe diem\"

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Great numbers! except...they're kinda in the high rpm range for wheelin..
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• PlasticBoob
          All Makes Combined
          • Jun 30, 2003

I'm a BOOB, so I must ask... how come I rarely see dyno charts that include the lower end of the tach?

Either way that is a darn fine 401 and I bet it would give plenty of other similar-sized engines a run for their money.
          Rob
          1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
          Click for video

Comment

• []V[]AXX
            350 Buick
            • Nov 10, 2009

On a built race engine the low end numbers are usually kinda wimpy. They don't always wanna show you that the engine stinks till it hits 4k. That is not the issue here. This one is beefy. The 750 is a bit big for this engine isn't it?

Comment

• Wayne
              350 Buick
              • Feb 16, 2008

Nice build and good torque numbers
              78 Wagoneer 401/T400/bw/44F&R DD 4in lift

Comment

• crazydog
                350 Buick
                • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                I'm a BOOB, so I must ask... how come I rarely see dyno charts that include the lower end of the tach?
                I remember a couple of times I meant to ask why the runs did not start at a lower RPM, but with all the excitement and such I kept getting distracted and forgot. It maybe how the dyno works, maybe just how they do things, or maybe something else entirely.
                1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

Comment

• crazydog
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by []V[]AXX
                  The 750 is a bit big for this engine isn't it?
                  Yes it is. Based on the dyno run, the highest recorded CFM was 515. It probably needs a 650 carb. I would like to eventually fuel inject this engine. Just not sure what direction I want to go yet. So, for now the 750 will work.

Comment

• crazydog
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Thank all of ya'll for your compliments.

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

Nice work! Was this motor balanced internally?
                      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Gambler68
                        Rabble Rouser
                        • Feb 29, 2004

Part that's gana make ya cry is then you see how much the TH400 sucks out of it

Bet that puppy roared nice tho!
                        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• crazydog
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Elliott
                          Nice work! Was this motor balanced internally?
                          Initially it was supposed to have been. There was some confusion with the machine shop. Since it won't see much over 5000 RPM and the pistons are a just a few grams from stock, it won't matter much.

Comment

• crazydog
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Gambler68
                            Part that's gana make ya cry is then you see how much the TH400 sucks out of it

Bet that puppy roared nice tho!
                            Well, I hate autos. So that puppy is gone and a freshly rebuilt NV4500 will sit behind the beast.

Comment

• Elliott
                              Cowboy Up
                              • Jun 22, 2002

Sweet!
                              *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                              ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

Working...
                              X