• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SCscoutguy
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 25, 2005

Originally posted by malodin
    is it possible that maybe someone swapped in a 80's scout drive train into the travel all?
    Highly unlikely. None of the driveshafts would of worked. There would be no provision for the tcase shifter in the transmission tunnel. It would be a ton of work to put a Dana 300 or any married tcase into a Travelall. Are you sure you were not looking at a Scout II Traveler which was a 118" wb version of a Scout II?
    John

Comment

• jeeping1974
      360 AMC
      • Jun 17, 2007

well i got a set of j20 axles from a 79 installed into my j10. i tried all the driveshafts and none of them work. the j10's rear shaft is too long and the j20's is too short. the j10's front is too short and i wasn't able to remove the j20's front shaft yet. looks like i'll be making a trip to the drive shaft shop to get a couple of new shafts made up.
      03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
      06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• malodin
        304 AMC
        • Sep 03, 2004

probably the best way to go.
        1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• wickedwagon767
          304 AMC
          • Dec 26, 2005

The 300 is such a sweet little hercules.

32-spline front and rear output upgrades are out there from JB Conversions

JB also has the 4:1 kit with the thicker,stronger gears

Stak makes its stout aftermarket case

If the 4:1 is to low all-the-time for some, you can swap the lomax gears into the Stak case, then slide a Klune (2.72) Underdrive in front of it and have two diverse low range options to choose from

It'll only set you back a few grand

Comment

• lasinvegas
            232 I6
            • Dec 09, 2007

Originally posted by malodin
            with last few d300's vs the world posts it got me to thinking why would jeep put the d300's and not into the 1/2-1 ton trucks

1. AMC's bought everything from everyone else.
            2. by the time d300s came out amc/jeep was already fasing the fsj out(yes it lasted until 1990, and the d300 didnt)
            3. the d300 didnt last because they switched to drivers side drop and wanted a "more car like ride"
            4. by the time the d300 came out amc/jeep had switched the full size rig to a drivers side drop and the 300 is passenger side(that is imho the main reason they didnt put the 300 in the fsj

NOT BECAUSE IT IS A LIGHT DUTY RIG BUT BECAUSE THEY HAD ALREADY "RE-DESIGNED" THE FSJ FOR DRIVERS DROP AXLE.(not yelling imphasizing)

on this same note lots of people say it only came in a light duty non 3/4 1 ton rig but it did come in the 1980 scouts and they are HEAVY big beasts
            and i know of at least one person wheeling the piss out of it.

I think that jeep was starting to view the fsj as more of a family luxury rig back then. The reason they were phasing out the 2 door fsj in favor of four door rigs. If you look at the rigs at that time they were mainly push button or levers to get in 4x4 except for a few leftovers.
            My thoughts

Comment

• Long&Low
              350 Buick
              • Jan 03, 2008

You can always flip the D300 to match the front axle output.

Stak's new case will run around $600, and as far as I know they are marketing them yet. The new case is nice, cuz they are making 3 versions, a flipped case, a standard case, and a narrow case for use in early Broncos that have a narrow frame.
              Breakfast amounts to one live toad, I choke that mofo down, and I am rest assured that nothing worse will happen to me for the rest of the day.

CJ truck project
              '18 Jeep Renegade
              '15 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

• krek
                Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

The J10 I just bought has a twin sticked Dana 300 in it. This may be the dumbest question ever, but even with the twin sticks the transmission (727) needs to be in Neutral before shifting the transfer case, right?
                SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• fullsizejohn
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 20, 2006

Been talking about this for a while but getting close to getting it done now.

Question: Those of you with the TH400/D300 combo. I know you say the case will sit almost flat. If i go with the NOVAK kit ,is that all i need or will i need a seperate clocking ring also?

Tired of tripping over this D300 in my shop
                  '77 cj-5,
                  '78 j-10,(not running)
                  '79 J-10 360ci,t400,D300, SOA-D60w/ARB, 14B w/Detroit,4:56s, 37" TRXUS
                  '06 Ford F250 super duty crew cab

Comment

• quikclimber
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 04, 2002

ive been working feeverishly for the last 6 moths swapping a new drivetrain under my fsj...i kinda planned it all around the d 300. i went with a doubler and 203, 700r4 in front of that, and finally said goodbye to the 401 for a 350. the case is nice and small and tucks up into the jeep body far better than the quadratrac. ill post a buildup thread someday.
                    77 cherokee w/t, built401, th400, QTw/ptkit, d44f, d44r w/detroit, 35\'s, 4in lift...and some other good stuff...dents, and whatnot

Comment

• malodin
                      304 AMC
                      • Sep 03, 2004

I dont know about the novak adapter(though my thoughts on the adapter is it should come with at least 3 different sets of holes drilled for different angles) i used a factory np style adapter and it went up in there nice and flat
                      1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• misfittom138
                        350 Buick
                        • Dec 19, 2007

I'm seriusly considering swapping my 208 for a flipped, twin sticked, low geared, heavy output shafted 300. It sounds like exactly what I need.
                        81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• Coachgreen
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jan 01, 2009

300 or doubler...choices choices...

Comment

• jaber
                            Dragin Az
                            • Oct 17, 2003

Ok, my question is what swaps.

I can get a Chevy 3.8 V-6 with a T-4 and it had a 300 behind it. Can I put an NP208 in place and put it into a drivers drop rig?
                            Will I have to change anything to make this work?
                            I have the 208, and no funds for a 300. This would be run in a Willys and not see but light wheeling.
                            Jeff

'43 cj2a
                            '51 Willys p/u
                            '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                            '68 Panel Delivery
                            '74 CJ5
                            '75 J-20 Wrecker
                            '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                            '77 J-10 p/u
                            '79 Cherokee
                            '88 Grand Wagoneer
                            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• jeeping1974
                              360 AMC
                              • Jun 17, 2007

You can run a D300 flat behind a TH400 but it comes close the tranny (too close for my taste). You can clock it down some and still have it be above the frame rails. I have mine mounted just about flat and I have something like 2"+ from the bottom of the D300 to the bottom of the frame. I have to pull it out and clock it down some.
                              Last edited by jeeping1974; 05-14-2009, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• jeeping1974
                                360 AMC
                                • Jun 17, 2007

Originally posted by jaber
                                Ok, my question is what swaps.

I can get a Chevy 3.8 V-6 with a T-4 and it had a 300 behind it. Can I put an NP208 in place and put it into a drivers drop rig?
                                Will I have to change anything to make this work?
                                I have the 208, and no funds for a 300. This would be run in a Willys and not see but light wheeling.
                                You will have to either swap the output shaft on the T-4 or the input on the 208 if they are not the same spline count. The mounting holes will be close enough where you can get 5 out of the 6 and still be safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X