• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Mostly boring wiring.

As I mentioned above, one of the projects I am setting up for is GM cruise control. With the current shelter in place order, I cannot go get the cruise module from the wrecking yards so I am going to just terminate all the wires in the vicinity of where the module will be.
    I took my 1979 TSM, pulled the Cruise Control diagram out, and the diagram babywag has on his thread and put some more details on them so I can be sure of how it will work on my rig. Here is the factory AMC wiring changes:

And here is the diagram from babywag with the AMC wires on it:

We looked over the power steering pump to see where we could get some clearance, too, to try and align that belt better. The first area we saw was the back of the bracket. Here is where it started. I have a spare one of these so if we screw it up, I can replace it.

After my son ground off the nubs, this is what it ended up like. This gained us about an eighth of an inch. I need another about 3/8s. I plan to pick up a pulley puller this week and will try getting some clearance on the back side of the pulley so the pulley can seat a bit deeper on the pump.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• chubbinius
      258 I6
      • Oct 31, 2018

That's an awesome way to make the best of this virus deal. So cool too that your son is able to be out there wrenching along with you.
      1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
      -Dauntless 350 V8
      -D27 front/D44 rear
      2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• cu4whln
        304 AMC
        • May 16, 2008

Do you need/want a factory cruise set up from a 77 ? I am going to be removing it from mine soon... I am happy to pull all the parts for you. I think its all stand alone, right ?

It works intermittently ... sometimes.. mostly
        It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
        1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
        1972 J4000
        1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
        2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
        2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by chubbinius
          That's an awesome way to make the best of this virus deal. So cool too that your son is able to be out there wrenching along with you.
          Yeah, It's been great! I had a 1 month trip to Hawaii for work planned and was going to do all this after I got home. I figured this trip would be cancelled but, mountains have moved, approvals have happened; I fly to Hawaii on Sunday for a month. Now I have to slam all this back together in the next 6 days.
          Originally posted by cu4whln
          Do you need/want a factory cruise set up from a 77 ? I am going to be removing it from mine soon... I am happy to pull all the parts for you. I think its all stand alone, right ?...
          I appreciate the offer! I have all the original gear from my 79 but the reason I am going to the later model one is because it removes the failure prone bellows and I think the GM one will be a little smoother/more reliable. It is almost plug and play at this point with my TBI set up.
          I spent 8 hours wrenching yesterday...errrr... wiring. I got my headlights on relays and then spent a few hours putting split loom on all the wires forward of the brake booster. You will notice each relay has it's own harness going from the main harness up to my relay center. That way if I have issues, I do not have have to keep splitting the main harness open. I have wires run for the temp switch for the trans fan and the Trans temp sender but did not put the sender and switch in yet. I ran out of the 1" split loom for along the firewall so that's why I stopped there. Oh, apparently coolant eats through the paint I used on my fender liner.

I also ran a new "always hot wire" into the interior that will power my power seat bases and a relay for my seat heaters (no, I do not have seat heaters yet). I replaced the dipstick tubeS (both oil and trans) because they leaked, cleaned and hopefully fixed the oil leak on the back of the intake manifold, and did some grinding on my header flanges (more pics on the header thread I mentioned above).

My son trimmed the headliner insulation for installation but I do not have any spray adhesive to hang it (yet). I also had him install the diff cover and finish the oil change. He now understands the wonders of the smell of gear oil.

I have a short shopping list to hit today but hope to get the headliner insulation up and the engine landed/bolted down tonight. My son is installing the passenger side power seat base.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Obligatory hanging engine picture

The payload has been deployed!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

Glad to see you're getting the engine put back in but man, you gotta do something about that power steering pump and belt alignment. That's off a lot. I know, after Hawaii right?
              1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• chubbinius
                258 I6
                • Oct 31, 2018

Holy smokes, you have to go after all? Wow!

Travel safe (will you have to do the 14-day Hawaii ordered quarantine before working?).

The new wiring and relays look good, holy smokes on how quick you can pull and replace the engine. Good luck!
                1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                -Dauntless 350 V8
                -D27 front/D44 rear
                2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by bkilby
                  Glad to see you're getting the engine put back in but man, you gotta do something about that power steering pump and belt alignment. That's off a lot. I know, after Hawaii right?
                  Yep. Exactly. Told the son not to drive it unless he has to. I hope it stays on while I am gone.
                  Originally posted by chubbinius
                  Holy smokes, you have to go after all? Wow!

Travel safe (will you have to do the 14-day Hawaii ordered quarantine before working?).

The new wiring and relays look good, holy smokes on how quick you can pull and replace the engine. Good luck!
                  Yep. None of us are happy about it (going). But I am super grateful to have a job and I know the Coast Guard needs this done so I am willing to do it.

Pulling the engine was about 2 hours of work. Putting it back in was about 4 hours because we had to fight with the headers. It sure is nice not having hardware that is seized, caked in road grime, or missing. Having my transcooler stand alone is also nice as it limited the spilled red fluid.
                  I started the engine up tonight. No check engine light, even idle, normal oil pressure. I think I heard one of my header collectors leaking so I have to re-torque those down, tomorrow. Verified all my new wiring jobs worked. The offroad lights are SUPER bright. Stoked on them.
                  Wrapped up the cruise control harness:

I got all but a little of the main harness and a little of the engine hardness in conduit and it looks soooo much tidier.

While I was fighting with my passenger header, I looked down and saw this:

Can't see what I am talking about? It's this:

Otherwise known as this:
                  Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  09-22-2019, Post #319...As I was removing the keepers, one fell. Of course it did. I looked for that for 45 minutes before the wife yelled at me to come in. ...
                  I have to install my cooling system yet and some other little tasks tomorrow. I should be able to test drive it tomorrow, too. I was not able to finish everything on my list but I got everything done that was in the engine compartment other than the conduit and cruise control module. Oh, and the power steering pulley.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

Looking really nice!
                    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
                    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Thanks, Darin!
                      Success! Yesterday I finished buttonin it up and backed it out of the garage.

Only went around the block but everything seems in order. I think I need a new radiator cap as it does not seem to pressurize. Tray of shame is because I have red drips. Not sure where it is coming from right now. Might be from when I pulled the dip stick out, might be from the kickdown connector, might be from the governor, might be my blood. I wonder if it is possible to have a running/driving FSJ that does not leak fluid...

Then spent a good 2 hours cleaning the garage up. scrubbed the floors and cleared some space for my midgets to work out while I am gone. The wife is happy to have her car back in the garage. It's gonna be a long month.
                      Last edited by rang-a-stang; 04-03-2020, 09:33 AM.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• cu4whln
                        304 AMC
                        • May 16, 2008

Congrats Sir ! Have enjoyed watching for some time . . .

Rang : "I wonder if it is possible to have a running/driving FSJ that does not leak fluid... "

NOPE

Then spent a good 2 hours cleaning the garage up. scrubbed the floors and cleared some space for my midgets to work out while I am gone. The wife is happy to have her car back in the garage. It's gonna be a long month.
                        [/QUOTE]

Whoa ! A clean garage space ! NICE !!
                        It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                        1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                        1972 J4000
                        1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                        2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                        2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I should have been on the road traveling 75% of the time but work keeps canx or moving travel back because of the restrictions. Bad thing is, all the work is getting more compressed into a shorter period of time.

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

we should go to his house whille hes gone. put the stock belts back on for him. chuck that POS serpentine setup into his neighbors yard. then drink all his beer,pee on the shrubs.

then switch all his cute little labeled relays all around....
                            Originally posted by Hankrod
                            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                            I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by cu4whln
                                Congrats Sir ! Have enjoyed watching for some time . . .

Whoa ! A clean garage space ! NICE !!
                                Thank you, sir!

When the wife and I bought this house, the agreement was "2 cars will stay in our 2 car garage." We both kept them agreement until my son turned 14 and we realized he needed a place to work out. So I sacrificed my side of the garage for his weight bench. I tell him constantly, if he does not use it for a while, it's going on Craigslist and I am pulling my car back in. I hope he does not call my bluff!
                                Originally posted by rocklaurence
                                I should have been on the road traveling 75% of the time but work keeps canx or moving travel back because of the restrictions. Bad thing is, all the work is getting more compressed into a shorter period of time.
                                I hear you! We are watching that happen, too! It's going to suck for a lOOOoooooong time!!
                                Originally posted by Ristow
                                we should go to his house whille hes gone. put the stock belts back on for him. chuck that POS serpentine setup into his neighbors yard. then drink all his beer,pee on the shrubs.

then switch all his cute little labeled relays all around....
                                BBBBWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!
                                How much beer do I have to leave in the fridge to make this happen?!!??! Except the relays part?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
                                Originally posted by babywag
                                +1
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X