Different side view mirrrors over the years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tkiller13
    304 AMC
    • Jun 17, 2005

Different side view mirrrors over the years.

What were your options of side view mirrors on these rigs over the years. How many times did they change shape and size. I was hoping somebody had some pics of all of the mirrors over the years, like how somebody made the pics/years for the different grilles.
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

I don't think I have seen anyone do that before myself. It is now your mission.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• crazydog
      350 Buick
      • Nov 19, 2005

That would be nice. I would like to know if any larger mirrors like on the later models would either just bolt on, or at least cover up the old mounting holes.
      1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• Kali
        304 AMC
        • Mar 29, 2005

i've been mirror shopping for my j-10 for about, well, since i bought it in 05. youve got the tripods which came in 2 different lengths on the lower arms and 2 different sized mirror heads, the "low profiles" that you see on waggies (both remote and power), and the two smaller mirrors-- round or square. gladiators had a few others i believe. sadly i feel this is one area that FSJs never got right... i have yet to see a mirror that i thought really fit on these trucks.
        [edit]
        the low profiles got the closest to fitting the trucks but the visibility with them is SO poor!
        Last edited by Kali; 10-19-2008, 07:40 PM.
        1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
        Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

Comment

• RUparrothead
          232 I6
          • Oct 01, 2008

Anybody know where to buy the tripod mirrors? Mine are rusted all to heck and want to get (as close to) original style replacements.

Comment

• FloridaFSJ
            232 I6
            • Sep 26, 2008

Got my stainless tripods from Advance Auto. My local AA has many selections of mirrors that work. I used rivets instead of the supplied screws and plastic anchors.

Comment

• Kali
              304 AMC
              • Mar 29, 2005

Im not positive, but I believe the SJ specific length arms are no longer available new. You can still get elbows and mirror heads though. There are complete aftermarket tripod sets you can buy, but they are not an exact match.
              1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
              Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

Comment

• scotty1998
                350 Buick
                • Apr 21, 2008

I hate, repeat, hate the teeny tiny little side views of the later model Wags. I can't think of anything dumber than a giant tank of a vehicle with eeeny weeny little motorcycle side views. If they had a modern option that would adapt to the power adjust system, I'd be on board in a heart beat
                1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                Stock Everything
                AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

Comment

• JohnIL
                  258 I6
                  • Jan 31, 2006

Does anybody make quality aftermarket tripods?

On the subject of mirrors, can anybody recommend a good quality aftermarket tripod mirror? My Wagoneer, unfortunately, spends most of it's time outside. The inexpensive parts-store mirrors that I installed rusted almost immediately (in less than a month). So, I'm looking for a good quality set of tripods to replace them with. I need something that won't rust right away. Thanks.

John
                  1988 Grand Wagoneer
                  My Web Site

Comment

• cu4whln
                    304 AMC
                    • May 16, 2008

Manual mirrors -

Each sid eis different. At first I thought some PO had done something stupid. Nope, it was the factory. Don't even come close to matching in style.

I have a set of 90 mirrors, and the holes do not line up. It's going to take some fabrication....
                    It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                    1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                    1972 J4000
                    1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                    2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                    2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• mdill
                      Gone. Not Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2000

The side to side thing, is weird, the only time I have seen miss-matched left-right mirror sets is when they ordered a remote mirror on the driver side and manual on the passenger side. (My 79 Cherokee has a remote mirror on the driver side and no-never had a passenger mirror, weird option choice)

The manual small, and dumbo ear mirrors are interchangeable left to right.

I think (could be wrong) the only factory mirrors from the mid 70's on were:
                      Dumbo-ears (Tri-pod)
                      Small Manual
                      Small remote

Mike D.
                      Last edited by mdill; 10-22-2008, 09:50 AM.
                      -----------------------------------------
                      Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                      1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                      1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                      1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                      1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                      And the other stuff that gets driven
                      ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Slinger646
                        232 I6
                        • May 04, 2007

Originally posted by JohnIL
                        On the subject of mirrors, can anybody recommend a good quality aftermarket tripod mirror? My Wagoneer, unfortunately, spends most of it's time outside. The inexpensive parts-store mirrors that I installed rusted almost immediately (in less than a month). So, I'm looking for a good quality set of tripods to replace them with. I need something that won't rust right away. Thanks.

John
                        Check some Big Truck shops or Truck Stops.

Comment

• tkiller13
                          304 AMC
                          • Jun 17, 2005

I have no pics yet but, dug threw some parts and found some mirrors.
                          My 74 wag had the tripod mirrors
                          76 chero had round manual mirrors
                          78 chero had manual square mirrors
                          80 j0 laredo had remote manual mirrors that were square and the "new" style

Comment

Working...
                          X