• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Auto shipper recommend?

Anyone have a transport recommend?
    Dad's '79 Cherokee WT is likely comin' back to me in CA from MN.
    Obviously cheaper the better.
    Haven't shipped a vehicle in decades.
    Don't really want to do uship or similar and would prefer deal with someone who doesn't farm it out.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8
  • JERSEY JOE
    304 AMC
    • Jan 15, 2004

AUTO SHIPPER

Tony: I have used DAS in the past. Dependable Auto Shippers. Look for them in your area. They were cost reasonable and quick
    1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 IHC D300 FARM TRUCK NY
    1985 CJ 7 AMC 401, CLARK 285SV 5 SPEED, DANA 60, DANA 44, RUBICON 4.5 LIFT. 37 KRAWLERS
    1987 J-20 401 90% COMPLETED.
    1985 J-20 360 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck
    1986 J-20 360 stock well rusted plow truck
    1970 AMX CURRENT PROJECT

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Thx I'll check.
      Tony

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I shipped a Falcon Wagon from Central Wershington to Camarillo about 15 years ago. I paid $550 for it because the Falcon was running and driving enought to drive it on the trailer and off. That makes a big difference in cost, obviously. Also, hit up any new car dealers around you and ask them who they use. I got a smoking deal because the guys I used were the shipping company for shipping BMWs/Mini's from Port Hueneme (near me) to Washington state (near my Falcon) so they had tons of loaded trucks going north and empty trucks coming South.

I also have a buddy in Santee that recently shipped a running/driving Fox Mustang to Texas. I'll ask him who he used (had some great feedback) and for any advice and send along.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
          I shipped a Falcon Wagon from Central Wershington to Camarillo about 15 years ago. I paid $550 for it...
          No offense but 15yrs ago things were a lot different and obviously costs were much lower.

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
          I also have a buddy in Santee that recently shipped a running/driving Fox Mustang to Texas. I'll ask him who he used (had some great feedback) and for any advice and send along.
          I'd appreciate that. It does run/drive just fine, but no desire to have it driven ~2000 miles here. Be more expensive than shipping.
          Tony

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

No offense taken. I put that more as a ball park. Most shippers were quoting me $750+. Things that impact cost:
            (as mentioned) can it be driven on/off truck
            Picked up/dropped off at a house/buisiness or at one of their lots (cheaper to bring it to a lot, obviously)
            Enclosed or not
            Weight/size
            How "quickly" you need it

Here's what my buddy said, word for word. not much info you haven't already known but hopefully some of it helps:
            When I shipped the Mustang to Texas, I took it to the shipper the buyer
            decided to use. He went with the cheapest one he could find and they were
            located in Lakeside, about 5 miles from my house, so he thought it was
            perfect. The reason I took the car to them is because they were 8 hours
            past the time they were supposed to pick it up. When I got there it was
            10pm and the two guys were trying to figure out how to get the
            hydraulic connections fixed on the truck to lower the upper level. I didn't
            get a warm-fuzzy about them. They put this beautiful car on the last lower
            level spot. When it got to Texas, it was filthy from driving through rain,
            and rusty water had dripped all over the white convertible top. I had not
            seen the space on the contract to enter vehicle mileage, so I didn't record
            it but I had taken a picture of the speedometer and sent it to the buyer,
            and when he got the car it had 40 extra miles on it. He didn't leave me any
            feedback on eBay because the steering rack was leaking. I had replaced it a
            few years ago and it didn't leak while I had the car.

My advice is check out the company. Yelp or Google reviews should work. A
            friend of mine who is a retired Chevrolet dealer from Washington suggested
            going to www.ship.com and put it up for bid. I haven't tried it, but he has
            several collector cars he had shipped from Seattle to SD.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
            X