Is the fuel injection conversion worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigOberg
    oh i wish i had a cool handle.......
    • Jan 20, 2015

I did the Howell conversion on my 1989 Grand Wagoneer and I couldn't be happier. It starts right up and it idles perfectly. Last week I had it inspected and it breezed through NJ State Inspection Emissions which is no easy task! IMHO it was way worth the money
    Follow my build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174682

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara: 3" Lift & 35's

Comment

• cjsrebiff
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 05, 2015

I put a Howell kit on my 84 GW 360. I ordered in straight from Howell. They asked all the pertinent questions and the installation was quite smooth. The instructions are very detailed, but are a one size fits all, which is understandable. I have a full MSD ignition and needed to put the coil wire in a different place. I called and talked to Rob and he got me straight. Starts and runs great. Another note I had all parts mentioned above that were not included in some (air cleaner wing nut, etc).
      Do make sure you know your engine specs, as in rebuilt, manifold, ignition. All these matter in the system they send.
      I would not pay a mechanic to do it. It is remarkably easy. Just go slow and dont skip.
      And yes, make sure you are running right first.
      1984 Grand Wagoneer - Howell TBI, NV241, 6" Frankinlift, Detroits front and rear, Warn 8274 , 35 MTRs and soft leather

Comment

• DenverWoody
        232 I6
        • Oct 11, 2015

Originally posted by BigOberg
        I did the Howell conversion on my 1989 Grand Wagoneer and I couldn't be happier. It starts right up and it idles perfectly. Last week I had it inspected and it breezed through NJ State Inspection Emissions which is no easy task! IMHO it was way worth the money
        Lots to like about the Howell kit, apparently. If you installed it yourself, what's your level of mechanical expertise? If you had a shop do it (and you don't mind me asking) what did you pay for installation?

Thanks!
        Life Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• BigOberg
          oh i wish i had a cool handle.......
          • Jan 20, 2015

Originally posted by DenverWoody
          Lots to like about the Howell kit, apparently. If you installed it yourself, what's your level of mechanical expertise? If you had a shop do it (and you don't mind me asking) what did you pay for installation?

Thanks!
          I installed the entire kit myself. It's not that bad. Just read over the installation instructions about 100 times before you attemp it. Do things in groups. Old parts removal, hardware installation, plumbing and then all of the wiring. There are a few things you'll need to fab up like your throttle linkage and transmission kickdown. Also if you don't have a welder or can't weld you could get someone or a shop to weld in your O2 bung for you. As long as you take your time and just follow the instructions and check things off of the list as you go you'll be done and running in no time. When I have the time I plan on writing up an in depth Howell installation thread complete with pics. I purposely breezed over it in my build thread because I had always planned on doing it seperately for the site. There's a lot of good info in a ton of different posts on here that did help me in my install but not one post that goes through it all. After months of researching on here and other sites I figured it all out and installed mine without a hitch. I drive it daily now and it has been great
          Follow my build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174682

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara: 3" Lift & 35's

Comment

• eskimokodiak
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 12, 2020

Fuel Injection Problems

My 1978 Cherokee Chief with a 401 engine runs out of gas at half tank.

But does start back up until the next stop light when it dies again upon acceleration.

Have the howell setup, new tank, new pump, new sending unit, and new pick up tube.

I have been told the following:
            No baffles so it sucks air.

Have you heard of this before.

I would appreciate and info that you can give me or point me to.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• MysticRob
              350 Buick
              • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by eskimokodiak

But does start back up until the next stop light when it dies again upon acceleration.

Have the howell setup, new tank, new pump, new sending unit, and new pick up tube.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your pick up tube isn't low enough to avoid fuel starvation. Have you looked into something like Holley's HydraMat?
              --Rob--
              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• acct21
                327 Rambler
                • May 20, 2014

Originally posted by eskimokodiak

Thanks in advance.
                I always knew that if my low fuel light came on it was malfunctioning -- because I would run out of gas long before the sender float ever dropped down far enough to kick the light on. I knew the aftermarket fuel sender pickups were supposedly a bit shorter than OEM, so when I dropped my tank I wanted to see just how bad things
                1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

80-up totally different animal in every way.

Early tank pickups can be problematic for efi.
                  There is nothing to prevent fuel slosh other than keeping tank full all time.

Different ways to skin the cat.
                  Surge tank setup, mod tank with aftermarket pickup/pump solution, stuff a later model efi tank under the truck.
                  Last edited by babywag; 01-17-2021, 05:51 PM.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Tripwire
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 30, 2000

i thought a looooooong time ago there is a "mesh honeycomb kind of thing you can stuff down the sender opening to help relieve the issue? don't remember how they solved the float interference issue..............
                    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Has it always done this or did it just start doing this at some point?

In my rig (stock 79 tank, no baffles), I just added to my stock pickup. The original pickup feeds my fuel pump and the new 3/8" line is the fuel return line. That green sock thing came with some crappy fuel pump i bought on Amazon.

I can run my tank to almost fumes and I almost never stall, even hard stops or hard cornering with a low tank. Do you use Tuner Pro to tune you system? If so, you can see a loss of fuel pressure in your BLMs and injector pulse width. If BLM goes really high and pulse width is almost the same, you are losing pressure. Also, you could look at your Battery Voltage. Maybe you are losing a ground.

If you do not have Tuner Pro, maybe you could add an inline fuel pressure gauge and video it while you drive. One of these:
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Has it always done this or did it just start doing this at some point?

In my rig (stock 79 tank, no baffles), I just added to my stock pickup. The original pickup feeds my fuel pump and the new 3/8" line is the fuel return line. That green sock thing came with some crappy fuel pump i bought on Amazon.

I can run my tank to almost fumes and I almost never stall, even hard stops or hard cornering with a low tank. Do you use Tuner Pro to tune you system? If so, you can see a loss of fuel pressure in your BLMs and injector pulse width. If BLM goes really high and pulse width is almost the same, you are losing pressure. Also, you could look at your Battery Voltage. Maybe you are losing a ground.

If you do not have Tuner Pro, maybe you could add an inline fuel pressure gauge and video it while you drive. One of these:
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                        X