who all has a d300 in there bigger than a cj rig?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TINMAN93
    232 I6
    • Apr 28, 2004

Tranny trouble

Agreed, diagnosis is important. But I also believe that if it breaks, fix it stronger.
    As far as this tranny history goes: The first rebuild was basic one after 120k miles or so. The second was a mild upgrade with a shift improver kit, and quality parts. That lasted about 4 years before I blew up the converter, and broke the transfer case in half. That probably didn't help it's case.
    This time we went with a TCI converter and deep pan, custom valve body upgrade and premium parts. I also rebuilt a 229 to replace the cracked unit. I blew it up on a hill at SMORR at few years later. Come to think of it, i blew a front hub out on that same hill. Anyways the converter went south, as well as all the cluthes so this time we went with a custom heavy duty converter, bolt in sprag assembly, clutches, custom filter set up and other goodies he thought of. I thought my tranny woes were done, but after only 3 times out, I blew it up again at Superlift. My tranny guy says the converter survived, but that the guts in the back let go destroying the inside and the case.
    I'm still going to upgrade to the 400/300 setup, but for now he's building an all new 727 to hopefully get me by long enough to gather all the parts to do the gear box upgrade correctly.
    And again, this thread has been a great help.
    Thanks to all contributors.

Tinman
    - '91 SJ: BoB'd 13", Lift Hatch, Sliders, Tackbar & more DIM toys.
    - And, He who dies with the most toys, still Dies!

Comment

• amcpsycho2
      258 I6
      • Mar 06, 2010

Originally posted by TINMAN93
      This is a great thread. Just what I've been looking for.

I've had some 727 issues and a geared T-case has been in the plans for a while so when my third 727 blew up at Hot Springs in Sept, I'm thinking Upgrade!

I have a line on an AMC Hydro400 that I'm planning to use with a Novac adapter. I had thought of going the 205 way,even a divorced one to have equal length shafts, but I like the 300 weight and gearing better.

The issue is I have a Driver side front D44. I didn't read where this was noted in any of the posts.

Has anyone put a H400 with a D300 clocked for a driver side dump?

Or is it somewhere in the post and I missed it?

Tinman
      You do have the downshift linkage adjusted properly/correctly?More problems with the Torqueflites are related to improper downshift linkage adjustment.Correct placement of downshift linkage relates to proper operating pressure>=failed tranny's.
      You say psycho like it's a BAD thing!

Some days it's just not worth chewing thru the restraints!

Comment

• RIS
        230 Tornado
        • Oct 07, 2009

My buddy Travis is running one with a stock 360 and he hasn't had a problem. He's always doing front digs and it is wheeled hard.

Comment

• youngjeeper
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jan 24, 2003

Just threw one in the Choptop w/727. It's a tight fit. Will post pics this weekend. Probably making a square driveshaft.
          88' GW Stock & Mint
          77' CJ-7
          http://gfsj.org/forums
          Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• youngjeeper
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jan 24, 2003

Originally posted by youngjeeper
            Just threw one in the Choptop w/727. It's a tight fit. Will post pics this weekend. Probably making a square driveshaft.
            The CV joint will not fit. This is the alternative that was made. We'll see how it holds up. If it doesn't work will have to go with a very skinny tube.

88' GW Stock & Mint
            77' CJ-7
            http://gfsj.org/forums
            Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• jeepin87
              232 I6
              • Nov 27, 2007

85' CJ10a LT1/NV4500/D300

I broke the stock rear output, upgraded to 32 spline and did a 4:1 kit at the same time. No issues yet. If I break a couple more components i may go Atlas and save this case for my Cherokee.

I'll post picks as soon as they're done loading up.
              Lots of rigs, parts, and lost knowledge.

Comment

• Sambo
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Sep 25, 2001

im still running the same d300, which now sits behind a np231(madrooster setup)for 4-1. not a problem yet!
                77 chero DEAD.
                84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• backroadin'
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 11, 2004

I have one in my waggy. It's behind a stroked six and a t176, with a d30 front. Pretty sure it's the strongest part of my whole rig!!!
                  1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• dahwillys
                    230 Tornado
                    • Dec 01, 2015

I have a D300 behind a 550 h/p v8 with 38" tires and one tons. It also has a 4:1 kit along with twin sticks. If yours broke, something wasn't right to begin with. It's the strongest case out there, minus an Atlas, and can be built almost as tough. My 2 cents anyway ! lol

Comment

• Mcgyver
                      230 Tornado
                      • Oct 22, 2015

Originally posted by Mahamotorworks
                      I want to get a D300 and use it when I finally brake my QT. I will have some time before that happens.

MAHA

same here qt in great shape but leaks everywhere.

Comment

• Bill Moore
                        304 AMC
                        • May 22, 2006

Have d300 in both Cherokees, ones running stock 360 and other 4bt Cummins. another will go behind a 4bt cummins in my sons J10 build soon.
                        DDs
                        67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
                        78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Anyone consider rotating the D300 up a few degrees in order to run the CV front drive shaft?

Comment

• madmikeX3
                            258 I6
                            • Jul 23, 2009

Got one in my stock 360 Cherokee behind a NV4500. Runs great.
                            Just Empty Every Pocket
                            1980 Jeep Cherokee W/T
                            Nice Jeep Bro!!!! Do some Jeep Stuff!!!!.

Comment

Working...
                            X