X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resbum
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 16, 2010

Very Nice. What brand of insulation is that on your firewall and heater box. I really like the looks of it.
    Originally posted by Resbum
    "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
      232 I6
      • Oct 08, 2008

DEI Boom Mat. not cheap, but awesome product. i think it was 75$ for 10 sq feet. Summit racing. kinda hard to shape, but holds the shape fantastically. It is sticky as hell! be careful when applying it cause it aint comin back off intact! its tough to cut, and SHARP, wear gloves and cut with tin snips. The other brands of the black tar/rolled roofing sheet stuff seem to be oil based cause wd-40 will disolve and or remove them. the asphalt stuff i may use under the carpet, thats it. when its hot out I've had the black asphalt/foil stuff fall off continously in doors, on the interior rear wall of pickup cabs, etc. NO MORE! boom mat is awesome!!!
      Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
        232 I6
        • Oct 08, 2008

This swap retained the stock radiator, in the stock location, but i did re-work the factory mounts on the radiator itself. Also retained the stock a/c condensor and trans cooler, although the a/c condensor was moved a little from its factory location. I also retained the factory trans crossmember, and bolted it in the factory drilled holes located further back on the frame. MINOR trimming of the opening in the front of the core support was required, thats it. No firewall or frame modifications either. Factory speedometer cable was retained, as was the steering column. The column is now cable shift to the trans. The factory brake master cylinder and booster were retained, all lines are now new hard stainless or braided stainless.
        Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Resbum
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by loosewrenchcowboy
          ... The column is now cable shift to the trans. ...
          Nice mod. Could you post a pic of how the cable is attached to the column? I considered doing it, and may do it in the future if I end up not liking the shifter I went with.
          Originally posted by Resbum
          "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
            232 I6
            • Oct 08, 2008

resbum

I'll try to get u a pic this week. And i think this is another part from my swap i'm gonna have to start selling. It required custom mounts at both ends, that were a PITA to figure out. Hell i spent the better part of 3 weeks at night after work scratchin my head and searchin online for a solution. Finally gave up, rolled up my sleeves, and started cutting/drillin/weldin. It works great tho!

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
              232 I6
              • Oct 08, 2008

swap

Btw, this entire project was done with the intent of using as little custom parts as possible. This will be the family road trip vehicle until i finish my cummins m725 project, so it needs to be dependable, and repairable weather i'm 45 min or 29 hours from home(2012 was my 3rd roadtrip to Yellowstone in my 93 dodge-on 40" pitbull rockers, 8 inches of lift, locked on both ends, pulling a custom offroad trailer).

Comment

• Panther
                350 Buick
                • Aug 13, 2000

Originally posted by loosewrenchcowboy
                Btw, this entire project was done with the intent of using as little custom parts as possible. This will be the family road trip vehicle until i finish my cummins m725 project, so it needs to be dependable, and repairable weather i'm 45 min or 29 hours from home(2012 was my 3rd roadtrip to Yellowstone in my 93 dodge-on 40" pitbull rockers, 8 inches of lift, locked on both ends, pulling a custom offroad trailer).
                So when do we see a build thread on the M725?

Comment

• Mr. Goatman
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 05, 2006

What is the intercooler from/ where did you get it? I am in the middle of a 4bd1 swap and am looking for an intercooler. How are you controlling the OD and converter lock on the tranny?
                  Remember; When it comes to tools and toys forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission!

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 08, 2008

intercooler

Oh boy its been a while.
                    Panther, stay tuned. I gotta finish the waggy-its almost done.
                    Mr goatman, i do not remember where i got the intercooler, but i do have another one on the shelf for my 725 i may be willing to part with. If ur still looking.
                    I bought 2 when i started this project(planning on duplicating the swap on the 725, but with a 6bt).

Currently i am using a floor mounted headlight dimmer switch for overdrive, toggle for lockup. I have hobbes switches for automating it, but until recently i didnt have enough h.p. to use em much. 100hp,+3:31 gears,+33" tires=SLOW.

Recently i replaced the industrial injector pump with an automotive pump, rebuilt with 3,200 rpm gov spring, fuel pin, and bigger injector nozzles. Now she rolls a lil coal, and moves out pretty good. 4th of July, roadtrip, gross weight on Flying J truck scale: 9,240 lbs. It hit 1,200°f pulling a good hill with converter locked and gained 5mph by the top. Couldnt use overdrive, hit 1,200° on flat ground. If i could drive 85mph i think it would be fine, lol.
                    Over 300 miles, self limited speed of 65mph, tipping the scales @ over 9,000#s, converter locked, no o/d, averaged 17.8 mpg.

3:73 gears i think will solve it.
                    And i am swapping in an hx30 as soon as the rebuilder is done with it. Tomorrow i hope.
                    The h1c turbo i have in use currently has a HUGE exhaust housing, spools late, and only 12 psi.
                    Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 08, 2008

hx30w update

So i removed the h1c turbo, and when i attempted to install the hx30w the wastegate hits the block. Currently i am working on a spacer/adapter to tilt the hx30 away from the block so the wastegate clears.
                      Bummer it wasnt a bolt on. Plus side of this i can re-do the hack job on the exhaust that an un-named shop did and choked it from 3" to 2 1/4" at the firewall/floor pan.

Comment

• lorenmjones
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 29, 2014

Great looking swap. I'm getting ready to do the same thing but using an NV4500/NP241 and I'm starting out with an automotive application 4BT with P-Pump, HX30 rated at 130hp. How do you like yours with the HX30? I'm sure it spools up earlier. Does it give you better boost overall?

I'd love to hear your impressions.
                        "Bob" 1986 Grand Wagoneer...just getting started
                        Spearfish, SD

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 08, 2008

hx30w

So it's been a while. Again.
                          Last year I was driving the Waggy on family road trips/vacation. Currently it is my daily driver, and i am slowly working out the bugs, and making changes.

So November 2014 I swapped on a junkyard hx30w that I had rebuilt. But I had to swap out the exhaust manifold too. There was no easy way around that. The new turbos mount tilted, tipping it toward the engine, and hitting the block with the wastegate.

So a new/used ebay manifold (supposedly off a Grumman van), I cranked the wastegate a few turns, and that's it.

Wow, what a huge difference. The hx30w spools up pretty quick and is currently pushing 20 psi boost. Egt hasn't hit more than 1,000 degrees pulling a trailer, up hill in o/d.
                          BUT, it does lug the motor rpms, which raises the coolant temp. I am gonna have to swap out the 3:31 gears for 3:73 to continue running my current 33" tires.
                          Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; 06-19-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                            304 AMC
                            • May 19, 2003

Clean install. I'm going crazy trying to get time to finish mine and get it back on the road.

Where did you mount the batteries? Any pics of the mounts? I was thinking back under where my spare used to be (my fuel filters are there too). Not much room for two batteries in the engine compartment.
                            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                            -99 XJ Limited.
                            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                            -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 08, 2008

Yeah, not much room for batteries. I considered mounting them against the core support in the wheel wells. Also maybe tucking them inside, between the rear wheel wells and the tailgate, hidden behind the interior panels(gel cell batteries).

In the end I mounted them underneath, on the drivers side, just in front of the rear axle. It works well since I don't drive it in the snow, and I don't mud bog it (I have another truck for hard core use). I used 2 optima red tops. Cleaning the terminals is a real P.I.T.A. They are directly under the access panel in the floor for the factory fuel tank sending unit. I will try to add some pics

Comment

• Eugene 1
                                304 AMC
                                • Feb 04, 2006

nice hoping to start mine this summer
                                JEEP
                                2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

Working...
                                X