X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJK
    258 I6
    • Feb 12, 2009

As far as I know, there are only 2 or 3 companies that make them.

I thought the BJ's & Bulltear ones were both made by Crown, and although they had consistency problems in the past, Crown worked with Bulltear to have a tool made to measure & verify each cover was to OE spec.

There shouldn't be any quality issues with those anymore unless it was an old stock, which should have been removed & scrapped.

Comment

• danjohnson67
      232 I6
      • Jan 20, 2008

When I installed the cover I did use the alignment pins and there was a gasket under the distributor. The cover that I replaced was a cover that the PO had replaced when he had the motor rebuilt years ago. I haven't gotten it all apart yet but looking down the hole the cam gear looks ok.

Has anyong usedanything like JB Weld tofix cracks in covers? Its cracked under the water pump between the pump and cam. Would it be safe to try somthing like that to reuse the old cover

1982 Wagoneer, (The Boatmobile), 360 / 727 / 208, 3.31, Rusty's 4", 31x10.5 Treadwright Guard Dogs

Comment

• Southern Gorilla
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 05, 2010

Originally posted by billyrb
        ...and if you don't use the gasket under the base of the distributor
        Eek! I just swapped distributors today and forgot to even look for the gasket. Thanks for reminding me. I need to check that before I forget and fire up the engine.
        It's not an SUV. It's an SEV: Surface Exploration Vehicle.

'76 Cherokee NT
        360/T-18

Trailers belong behind trucks, not under them.

Why? Because nobody in the history of 'wheeling has ever said, "good thing I put those smaller tires on my rig."

Comment

• danjohnson67
          232 I6
          • Jan 20, 2008

Has anyone use Omix-ADA distributor drive gear set Part # 17423.03

1982 Wagoneer, (The Boatmobile), 360 / 727 / 208, 3.31, Rusty's 4", 31x10.5 Treadwright Guard Dogs

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

I don't need proof of the aftermarket timing covers being crap. Just the rumor is enough to make me stay far away from them.

I've been running a standard Bulltear aluminum cover for 10,000 miles now without an issue, and that's good enough for me. If I had to to it over again, I'd go with their nickel plated cover with an oil pump midplate, the relieved gears, enlarged passages, and a double roller timing chain. best easy durability mods one can do.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

NO Omix gears!

I recommend MSD 8005 and 8007. I use them. OR - pony up for a matched set from Bulltear.
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

no & NO

You can not Jb weld the cover. I have never used OMIX & got talked out of them a while back. I have no proof they are bad But I'm not finding out.
                I'm using MSD gears.

You really need to find out what caused it. I am seeing nothing but speculation as to what happened no facts. I twould be very interesting if the cam ger is in tact.
                Last edited by serehill; 03-09-2013, 07:34 PM.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• maccj5
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 15, 2007

had the same thing happen 3 days before going to the jeep safari
                  ---new msd dizzy oem cam gear bad juu juu
                  mac
                  its a jeep thing i dont understand either
                  69 m715
                  87 gw
                  73 cj5
                  94 yj
                  69 j 3000-- dennis got it
                  81 cj7
                  66 j truck
                  78 cherokee cheif

Comment

• letank
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by babywag
                    I've owned a LOT of Jeeps.

I've mixed and matched OEM covers/distributors/gears many many times and NEVER had a set of gears get munched.

It's been well documented that some replacement covers are junk, and why I would never use one.
                    Same here, I am even missing a dowel on the 74 for about 150Kmiles, and no distributor gasket, even swaped an HEI from another wagoneer, about 40Kmiles ago.
                    Michel
                    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• steve1
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 22, 2006

I needed a timing cover this past summer. Went to the wrecking yard and found one for $ 60. Can't beat OE.
                      88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Mars
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 24, 2010

I popped for the gears from bulltear.. IF THEY EVER ARRIVE!! lol
                        Wannabe Fabricator
                        Grumpy on a good day.
                        1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
                        What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• ROK360
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 29, 2007

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago, actually bought the timing cover - a Crown part - locally here in Oz from one of the Jeep parts suppliers. (They have shut their doors now.)

I read about the matched gears and the timing covers from Bulltear. In the end I got an OEM one from an old guy here in Oz that deals in Rambler stuff. He modifies the cover and it has stainless liners for the water surfaces.

Haven't had any issues since.
                          ROK360
                          84 FSJ LTD (Aussie built in the Brisbane Jeep Factory)
                          'The LPG (propane) powered Canyonero'
                          Tow truck, Daily Driver, and adventure non-urban vehicle

Comment

• danjohnson67
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 20, 2008

Well I have a set of Bulltear gears on order, going to install them and the old cover, check how the distributor fits and then the new cover and do the same, hopefully all will go well. There has to be somthing to make it eat the gears that fast.

Comment

• mdill
                              Gone. Not Forgotten.
                              • Nov 22, 2000

Pretty sure all the timing covers (Bulltear, BJ's ...) all start life in the same place. Bulltear checks them for the correct dowel pin to dizzy hole relationship, and returns the ones that don't make the cut.
                              I don't think any other vendor checks the covers.
                              OE is the way to go if you can, mix and match and it all worked and played
                              nice together, the aftermarket is a crap shoot, with cam gears, cams, dizzy gears, front covers, timing gears ... have all had reported miss-matches that end up eating
                              the cam and dizzy gears, any one of the above can and will leave you sitting on the side of the road if wrong.
                              All the OE stuff swapped around just fine, but throw one bad part in the mix and you are hosed.

Originally posted by danjohnson67
                              Well I have a set of Bulltear gears on order, going to install them and the old cover, check how the distributor fits and then the new cover and do the same, hopefully all will go well. There has to be somthing to make it eat the gears that fast.
                              Last edited by mdill; 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM.
                              -----------------------------------------
                              Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                              1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                              1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                              1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                              1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                              And the other stuff that gets driven
                              ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Woodchomper
                                350 Buick
                                • Dec 17, 2002

When you replaced your timing cover did you also install a new timing set? If you did you may want to verify your oil passage from the cam (backside of cam timing chain sprocket) to the cam gear that oils the distributor gear.

In fact, a quick check of everything before you pull your timing cover off, would be to remove your fuel pump and distributor, and then prime the oil pump while you manually rotate the engine to verify you have oil coming off your cam gear. You can look through the fuel pump opening on the timing cover to verify oil is dripping off the cam gear.
                                1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
                                1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

Working...
                                X