• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Louiseven
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 08, 2006

Full size Jeeps and California

Well after all of the crap I went through last year with the CA. DMV you'd think I had enough sense to stay off of their radar. Well after my Jeep stranded me last March with a possible bad flywheel and starter. Turn out it is a bad flywheel (another thread). Well being busy and having other vehicles to drive. I did not drive her much to not at all. So I had her parked outside my house on the street Smogged and registered. Since I was not driving my wagon I moved the liability insurance to one of my other cars for the time being. Well I went to AAA to renew my registration on my Wagon. To keep her up to date, as well I am getting ready to put her back on the road. I pay $83.00 then the AAA clerk says 'The computer will not give me your registration. Says your registration was cancelled by the DMV for no insurance'. WHAT!!! She tell me I need to call this number thanks for your cash next. I call and sure enough there is a new law that says the DMV will suspend you registration if your insurance company notifies them you canceled, moved or went deliquent on your insurance. I know it not just a Jeep thing but it is for me. Arrghh I love the DMV!!!
    1990 Grand Wagoneer/Mary II/TFI/6"lift/33's-driver
    1987 Grand Wagoneer/sold
  • BarryL
    327 Rambler
    • Aug 29, 2007

Pretty common I think. Same in NC anyway.

Happy New Year!
    '84 Wag, 360, 727, 229, stock 177k

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

Same in Az.......
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• incommando

In, Ohio, that only happens if you have had a ticket or accident & do not have insurance, or are ordered by the court to prove insurance coverage. Joe Blow cancelling his insurance on his own doesn't triger anything

Comment

• jaber
          Dragin Az
          • Oct 17, 2003

Here, I have to go in to DMV and file a form stating its removed for repairs. Otherwise its a pain in the wallet to get it redone.
          Jeff

'43 cj2a
          '51 Willys p/u
          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
          '68 Panel Delivery
          '74 CJ5
          '75 J-20 Wrecker
          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
          '77 J-10 p/u
          '79 Cherokee
          '88 Grand Wagoneer
          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• firecaptain13
            350 Buick
            • Jul 06, 2006

AZ requires insurance providers to notify them when the insurance is not current
            88 GW 4" lift, 31's, Razor

Comment

• Wagonforever
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 26, 2004

Never had any problem here in Michigan. I know of a few people that drop their PLPD when they put there car in storage, including me. As long as your not driving it I don't see why they should give a rats !
              There are those that have and those that will.

1986 Grand Wagoneer, BONE STOCK just the way I like em!

The Aviation Forum

Fred 08

Comment

• Stuka
                • Jan 21, 2001

Most states require insurance by law, and if its dropped, registration is dropped as well.

Comment

• azwagoneer80
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 29, 2004

I've had arizona dmv suspend mine, even though I had current insurance. Didn't cost me anything, but the two times it happened, I had to sit there for an hour or so each time. I can understand their position, but they treated me like a criminal. I hate the DMV
                  1980 Wagoneer 360 Tf727, NP219, TFI, exhaust, CS144 Alt, Taurus Fan.
                  1986 IROC-Z finally finished.

Comment

• Bill Moore
                    304 AMC
                    • May 22, 2006

You guys continue to make Alabama look even better than it already is, thanks!
                    DDs
                    67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
                    78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• Burn Victim
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 18, 2007

AZ DMV SUCKS!!!

Adam
                      Formally known as BigBlueJ-10
                      1980 Jeep J-10 5in.of susp.lift,soa,inboarded rear,shakle flip,hd44 front,d60 rear, 4.09 gears,1 1/2in body lift
                      33in rollers
                      360 AMC,4speed
                      razor grill
                      1969 Caddy sedan deville future donor
                      1950 IHC chopped 8in to much to list..............

Comment

• Desert Beast
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 05, 2002

yup, all ins companies now automatically notify the DMV when a lapse or cancel of insurance. it helps get the douches that buy one month of insurance to register the vehicle (and get a card for 6 to 12 months to show cops). not that it stops them from doing that, but now if they get pulled over or in an accident and have no registration they might get their crap impounded. (they can also suspend your license ).

i think its great, hopefully it will help punish (or at least make it miserable) for the a-holes that drive with out insurance.
                        If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is.

Comment

• Bill Moore
                          304 AMC
                          • May 22, 2006

It stops nothing, like gun control, only punishes the law abiding, its already illegal to do this in about every state, just enforce the law instead of adding more tax draining brueacrats, hold people responsibe.......
                          DDs

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Comment

• Stuka
                            • Jan 21, 2001

Originally posted by Bill Moore
                            It stops nothing, like gun control, only punishes the law abiding, its already illegal to do this in about every state, just enforce the law instead of adding more tax draining brueacrats, hold people responsibe.......
                            Its nothing like gun control. Having insurance required by law does not effect the law abiding citizen at all. I am very much for this law (that we have had for ages now) that requires you to have insurance. There is *NO* reason to not have insurance, and it is to everybodies benefit to have it.

I am very much pro gun, and gun laws are nothing like this little law. Having insurance doesnt make you a possible criminal because you went with the wrong company.

Comment

• Bill Moore
                              304 AMC
                              • May 22, 2006

you missed my point Stuka, reread my post, the laws are on the books, just enforce them, its a good law, you just dont need the additional complications mentioned in the original post, and yes it is like gun control---which is nothing more than more people control
                              DDs

Projects

Comment

Working...
                              X