X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanHS
    • Aug 29, 2004

Mass Air MPEFI system that looks pretty cool

I think this was mentioned here a couple times, didn't find much searching for it though. Figured I'd post it here after seeing an ad and checking out the website. Expensive for most people here ($3750), but it looks like a good alternative to the Edelbrock kit. What I like (aside from being mass air which is superior to speed density in judging airflow and is much more flexible and easier to tune) is that it uses oem MAF components, mostly Ford stuff, which is good because the Ford stuff is pretty reliable and easy to find oem and aftermarket. I was hoping someone was going to make an intake and throttle body setup that could be used with Ford stuff, and this company has made the whole system. I wonder if they'd sell the intake, throttle body, and fuel system seperately so I could have some chance at affording this system, as used stock Mustang stuff is cheap and would be near perfect for a stock or mild 360.

Here's their site anyway; http://www.mass-floefi.com/mass-flo.html
    '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification
  • BarryL
    327 Rambler
    • Aug 29, 2007

Wow! $3750. will buy a lot of motor/transmission/TC...
    '84 Wag, 360, 727, 229, stock 177k

Comment

• DieselSJ
      304 AMC
      • May 19, 2003

I have heard from a couple people that run them and they are not totally happy with it. They have drivability issues. You can't simply bolt-on a system and have it work for every engine without some tuning. They just use a generic set of data for their tune so they don't run nearly as well as a system than you can tune.
      -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
      -99 XJ Limited.
      -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
      -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

The edelbrock system is *WAY* cheaper than that, and basically the same thing. But made by a reputable company. A howell system while not as good as the edelbrock, is cheaper still.

Comment

• pb
          350 Buick
          • Aug 28, 2003

"I like ...that it uses ..., mostly Ford stuff, which is good because the Ford stuff is pretty reliable ..."

j/k
          Paul
          1975 Wagoneer DD
          360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• Stuka
            • Jan 21, 2001

Originally posted by pb
            "I like ...that it uses ..., mostly Ford stuff, which is good because the Ford stuff is pretty reliable ..."
            Name one Ford that has had a problamatic EFI system

Comment

• pb
              350 Buick
              • Aug 28, 2003

Originally posted by Stuka
              90's Rangers. I haven't seen one yet (in my little world) that hasn't had to have the ECM replaced at least once.

I think that the EFI parts do hold up fine though, considering they continue to supply fuel while the Ford is on fire.

Seriously, looks like a cool setup though.
              Paul
              1975 Wagoneer DD
              360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• pb
                350 Buick
                • Aug 28, 2003

According to the Ford Muscle review in the Reviews tab on the site listed...

"Mass-Flo can sell you the entire system, including modified manifold, throttle body, mass air meter, fuel rails, injectors, sensors, harness, computer and other pieces. They can even set you up with the entire fuel system. However FordMuscle is about DIY; do-it-yourself and do-it-your way. We didn't want to just cut a check for the entire get up, but rather wanted the challenge of planning and sourcing many of the components ourselves. Mass-Flo is cool with that and will sell you as much or as little as you need. "
                Paul
                1975 Wagoneer DD

Comment

• DanHS
                  • Aug 29, 2004

Idk, my Mustang's efi has been great, certainly a lot better than many carb setups. Starts great, warms up quickly, runs smooth. It's not the best thing in the world, but it hasn't had a single problem in the entire time I've had it, which is about 60k miles. The car has 180k and as far as I know nothing in the fuel system has yet been replaced. The fact that most Mustang owners looking for performance don't entirely scrap the system, only upgrade it, must be a testament to it's performance.

On a mild or stock 360, a Mustang's ecm ought to be fine. Stock ecms are used on 300+ hp fox Mustangs without trouble, but on a big block I would want a system I could tune more, and there are aftermarket tuners for Fords. I like the flexible mass air system, because a tbi or speed density must be tuned for a specific set of parameters. Change those parameters much, and then your performance is lost. The mass air system can adapt to those changes in most cases.

As for the cost, I think by just buying the manifold, tb, and fuel system, and a used Mustang efi, I could make a stock 360 run nicely for less than the Edelbrock kit. I'd like to try setting it up, maybe if I have the money this summer I'll give it a shot.
                  '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

My FSJ pics

Comment

• DieselSJ
                    304 AMC
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by pb
                    90's Rangers. I haven't seen one yet (in my little world) that hasn't had to have the ECM replaced at least once.

I think that the EFI parts do hold up fine though, considering they continue to supply fuel while the Ford is on fire.

Seriously, looks like a cool setup though.
                    I had 155K on my 95 Ranger when I traded it in and had zero problems with the ECM. I know at least a dozen people personally that have owned 90's Rangers with zero ECM problems. In fact, I have never heard of an ECM problem with Fords until you just mentioned it.
                    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                    -99 XJ Limited.
                    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                    -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• pb
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 28, 2003

I don't want to take away from DanHS's thread here, I was just razzing Ford. I'm sure that the rangers I know with the problems are probably the minority (and a coincidence), but I know of five here in Michigan that have needed replacements ecms and a few in FL. Three needed replacements for the replacements. But the same could probably be said of other manufacturers.

The one size fits all system would be great. I don't have really any experience with it to compare to the GM systems. Just working with the GM and all of the fine tuning that can/needs to be done I am a little skeptical on maximum performance for it.
                      Paul
                      1975 Wagoneer DD

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • May 19, 2002

Let's see -- $3, 750 for this system, with some tuning required. About $500 for junkyard GM TBI, with some tuning required. Sound's like a toss-up! Really, any advantages even a well-sorted MPEFI offers over a basic grafted & tweaked TBI are so miniscule that only a major manufacturer or someone trying to sell you something would be interested.

S.J.
                        "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                        360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                        T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• rockjeep44
                          The Advisor
                          • Oct 15, 2001

I see no benefit to that system over the Edelbrock system and the Edelbrock is a lot cheaper plus it's made by a company I trust and totally adjustable on the fly.
                          Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                          There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                          "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• Rogue
                            360 AMC
                            • Nov 17, 2001

Originally posted by Stuka
                            *sigh*

this is not directed at you alone Brandon...

ALL cars have problems.

I've been an auto professional for 15 years and have specialized in driveability ( my car don't run right ) issues for quite a while now. I have replace A LOT of Ford mass air flow sensors. I have also replaced lots of other parts on all types of vehicles for all kinds of reasons.

anybody who would generically say that x part is better than x part is an idiot. it may have just been the fact that mostly fords came to the garages I worked at and chebbies went to other garages I don't know but I've put a crapload of ford ignition modules over the years but it would be stupid to say that chevy ignition modules don't fail.

in production of any part, unless you are going to charge 800 dollars for a mass air flow sensor ( * cough * cough* euro cars and yes they fail too ) that is manufactured to the highest standards there is inherently x% that will prematurely fail due to variations in manufacturing tolerances and the use and abuse department.

anywho.....

i am suspect of the one size fits all advertisement of this product because if that were true then Ford would only have 1 part number for a mass air flow sensor and they don't.
                            Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• DanHS
                              • Aug 29, 2004

Yea, the one size fits all thing I don't beleive, but mass air systems do self adjust for changing parameters, and that would be nice for an engine that you may alter, and they tend to offer a little better overall performance than speed density.

I just thought the kit was an interesting idea, using oem Ford parts would make it easier to repair and upgrade. It would work pretty well on many (not all) engines, plus if you wanted you could use an aftermarket engine management unit that would plug right into all the Ford stuff and allow you fine tuning for bigger engines, or just utter perfection, with the slightly better performance of the mass air system. If the intake, tb, and fuel rails were to cost $2000, then you could have a mass air setup for less than the Edelbrock speed density kit. TBI is cheaper, but mass air is still a little better. If someone was really into it, they could just buy the fuel rails and peice everything else together off a Ford, weld injector bungs into an AMC intake, and fabricate an adapter to install a Ford tb on the AMC intake.

My FSJ pics

Comment

Working...
                              X