• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dptyrob
    232 I6
    • Nov 18, 2005

Originally posted by Mavawreck
    Anyone know if this one ever got completed? Photobucket links are down.

No, I'm afraid it didn't. I had the transmission and transfer case mated up, but just had too many irons in the fire and scrapped the whole thing. I was so excited about it too. Maybe someday I can give it another shot.
    1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Mavawreck
      360 AMC
      • Jan 02, 2003

I understand how that goes, you wouldn't still have the drivetrain would you?
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=153928

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

• grand_wag_85
        Murphy's Law Poster Child
        • Dec 03, 2003

A GW with a IH 345 would be one HELLUVA rig Sorry to hear you had to scrap the project

The '74 and '75 full sized binder trucks were set up to accept the AMC 401 and used special motor mounts for the IHC motors as well. If you can find an IHC engine from a '74 or '75 pickup or Travelall you *should* be able to bolt on a set of FSJ motor mounts and swap it right in. The '74 and '75 models also used a different style exhaust manifold.
        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
        '88 GW
        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Mavawreck
          360 AMC
          • Jan 02, 2003

Anyone know how much different the width is?

From what I've read, the 345 is about 60lbs heavier. Throw the battery in the back and swap on an aluminum intake, ditch the smog pump, we're back where we started.
          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

Originally posted by dptyrob
            I wouldn't mind trying one of the big block diesels like they used in the military blazers. We had some of those at the department where I used to work and when it snowed (and when we managed to get them started) we had to leave them running 24/7 until the roads cleared up. Even with them idling all through a 12 hour shift, they averaged about 20mpg. And you couldn't blow one of them up; believe me, I tried.

I've got a 92 Cherokee with the HO 4.0 and I've been amazed at how powerful that thing is. I've got an old Scout 800A with the 232 and I've been thinking about swapping that 4.0 into it, though I'd have to swap out the drivetrain too due to the change in bellhousing patterns. I'm sure that the computer system would be a real joy to transfer over, too.

I wasn't aware that you could do that, but I'll see about giving that a try. Thanks.
            Make sure it doesn't have a staggered motor mount (pass and driver's side in different positions) I recall running into that with my Stepside 1210 when I tried to put in a '71 258. I gave up when I found the bell was also different and found another 258 in a Hornet instead. (starter on the wrong side is the dead giveaway to this issue)
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Funny I didn't see this thread before (given how old it is)

I was thinking IH 6.9L diesel in mine for a bit. (don't care for the diesel smell though sometimes I forget)

I was actually thinking of going the other way with the '68 Travelall of BMax's. If no-one buys the 360/T18A/NP208 from my '83 J10 Honcho, it might go in place of the BG241 that only gets 10 mpg. If it will fit without having to remove the IH tcase, then it will have dual tcases and stock axles. If not, then J10 axles will go in.

OR if I find an older IH with 258 I can get the motor mounts from, a spare 4.0L may go in with 2wd AX-15 for economy (truck has 4.10 gears which affect the original 6 cyls gas economy I'm sure. My 454 in my '82 C20 gets 10 mpg with the same gears and TH400!)

Originally posted by GWChris
              Well, I wasn't really serious about the 4cyl - it would be struggling too much to help mileage. I just always thought it was a heads up design - maximum parts commonality with the V8.

I often daydream about what cool engines would go into a FSJ. Other than the diesels (which I would love but I've got concerns about the long term cost of diesel fuel), I've thought that the 300ci Ford 6 would be a great choice. The later ones had a nice port injection system too.

If I had an older Jeep I'd love the OHC 230ci six - I like how they ran the intake and exhaust with one cam lobe.

But the AMC engines are very nice too, and if I were to do anything in regards to engine swaps, I'd probably go with a built AMC 6 - say a late model EFI 4.0 with a 258 crank.

OK, daydream time over, time to go haul some more wood.
              The stroker is getting assembled this summer for my '84 J10. A turbo on the slant 4 would perk it up a bit. I have a 345 and Clark 5 speed with O/D in my '71 Loadstar 1800I thought about pulling for the Trav, but the skyrocketing fuel prices say different. I also have the front half of a 2wd '66 Trav with 304/BW auto that MAY go in if I can find an O/D to fit the trans. The motor/trans mounting system is too different from 2wd to 4wd on the IH V8s to work so I'd still need mounts but at least I have a rad. (The BG 241 is up for sale. New starter and ignitor system replaced the points)

So many different thoughts and so little time/dollar$/energy/help to achieve them!
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Mavawreck
                360 AMC
                • Jan 02, 2003

I'm just trying to get my wag moving again in the most sensible way. 345's are cheap to buy and fairly durable, parts can be pricey though. Stupid intake is $500 bucks aftermarket. However for what I'm doing, bone stock is just fine. If I can get away with replacing some seals and heading on, I'll come out pretty cheap. I'm seeing 345/727 combos in the $600 range. It's going to cost that much to rebuild the top end on mine. I could use a dodge small block engine just as easily, but they seem to cost more and If I'm going to spend more than a few hundred, junkyard small block 350 with fuel injection and an overdrive auto is the way to go to me.
                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

• dptyrob
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 18, 2005

I understand how that goes, you wouldn't still have the drivetrain would you?

I don't, but a buddy of mine may still have it. I'll check.
                  1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                    • Dec 03, 2003

Anyone know how much different the width is?
                    The 345 is noticeably wider than the AMC V8. If you want I can get some measurements.

'82 J10
                    '88 GW
                    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Mavawreck
                      360 AMC
                      • Jan 02, 2003

I'd really appreciate that if you don't mind. I guess length, height, and width from manifold to manifold would be great.
                      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                        • Dec 03, 2003

I'd really appreciate that if you don't mind. I guess length, height, and width from manifold to manifold would be great.
                        No problem. I'll try to get them tomorrow for ya.

'82 J10
                        '88 GW
                        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

What's the appeal of the 345 over an AMC engine? If you want to reduce your engine displacement, the 304 seems like an obvious option. Or go with a TBI Chevy. The Binder engines will be both anchor heavy and exotic ... expensive to repair and poorly supported. I don't see the appeal, other than their durability.
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Mavawreck
                            360 AMC
                            • Jan 02, 2003

I think I covered that pretty well in previous posts.

Cheap to buy, bolt to a 727, can run the existing t case without an adapter. Hoping to find one for a few hundred bucks that I can shove some seals in and go.

You can dislike it if you want, but I think AMC motors are huge, flaming piles of poo.
                            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

• the original Honcho
                              327 Rambler
                              • Mar 14, 2005

Cool!

Kudos for the art of it!

Kinda seems like putting a Blue Flame 6 in a 2000 Corvette, but it doesnt matter what anyone else says- build it to YOUR specs.

Keep up the cool build and keep us posted!
                              1980 Jeep J-20
                              1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
                              1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              1975 Jeep Wagoneer- The Green Bastard, from Parts
                              Unknown
                              1968 Plymouth Satellite
                              1978 Camaro- back in action
                              1980 'Vette. Chevette. Please someone buy this

Comment

• Mavawreck
                                360 AMC
                                • Jan 02, 2003

1988 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 = 144bhp/280lb-ft

vs.

1975 International 345 = 197bhp/309lb-ft

tricycle race either way, but I wouldn't consider it a down grade.
                                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

Working...
                                X