• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnIL
    258 I6
    • Jan 31, 2006

Rear Wheel Bearings (axle bearings)?

Hey Fellas,
    When I was bringing home my new-to-me '88 Grand Wag, my brother said that from behind, it looks like the rear wheels wobble a bit when they are under load. If I turn right, the left rear wheel wobbles. If I turn left, the right rear wheel wobbles. Does this sound like bad bearings or something else? How difficult are the bearing to change? Thanks.

John
    1988 Grand Wagoneer
    My Web Site
  • RdHawg
    258 I6
    • May 16, 2001

Check dumb things first - lugnuts tight? How about ubolts, spring mounts, centerpins? If it is the axle bearings that are loose you prolly be able to jack it up and move the whole wheel around by hand.
    One of these days maybee it\'ll stay fixed long enough to go somewhere?

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
      Disciple of A.M.C.
      • Aug 19, 2002

You would hear a groaning noise if the bearings were bad. Did you check for bent wheels? Also, when tires on a vehicle sit for a long time, they can develop flat spots from where they were parked. These last for only a few days though, and usually disappear after a few dozen miles of driving.
      Jason Davis
      '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
      '85 J-10 (parts)
      '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• JohnIL
        258 I6
        • Jan 31, 2006

The lug nuts are tight and the wheels are true. I don't hear any groaning, but I have a noisy exhaust leak that I hope to cure tonight. I haven't had the rear end off the ground yet, so I don't know if there is anything loose. Any other suggestions of what to look for? Keep em coming. Thanks.

John
        1988 Grand Wagoneer
        My Web Site

Comment

• Am4wag
          327 Rambler
          • Oct 04, 2004

Differentials are notorious for being neglected.Your bearings could be "shot"on the carrier.Remove the cover and drop the oil(if there is any).Is good "practice"to change all oils upon acquiring a used vehicle anyway.But this goes in hand with the above advice also.
          88GW,360,3 angled valves,K8600,1406,TFI,MSD,727,<br />Hurst,NP229.D44\'s,3:31\'s,BJ\'s 4in.,31in.Generals,ProComp alloys.S-10 box,"Swissed" rockers"

Comment

Working...
          X