End of a long chapter/bad day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With door gap and w/shield gap, I'd guess that the hinge pillar and"A" pillar is back. With the bent spring I'd look at the spindle and steering knuckle. Might have bent the long side of the housing as well. Take a look at the left side body mounts too. Take a tape and find a couple of spots on the frame that are the same on both sides, about 3-4 feet apart. Measure in a"X" from one side to the other and compare. That will tell you if the frame has a diamond. The actual difference will be1/2 the total difference in the measurement...ie if you were1/4" difference the diamond would be1/8". Fast and dirty check, have to get it on a rack and measuring system to get the actual figures, and see if the rail is mashed back and shorter on that side. The rest should all be bolt on replacement. To me the frame and cowl pulls would be the critical end of it. The rest you could do yourself...I know your abilities.
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by goldhammer
      With door gap and w/shield gap, I'd guess that the hinge pillar and"A" pillar is back. With the bent spring I'd look at the spindle and steering knuckle. Might have bent the long side of the housing as well. Take a look at the left side body mounts too. Take a tape and find a couple of spots on the frame that are the same on both sides, about 3-4 feet apart. Measure in a"X" from one side to the other and compare. That will tell you if the frame has a diamond. The actual difference will be1/2 the total difference in the measurement...ie if you were1/4" difference the diamond would be1/8". Fast and dirty check, have to get it on a rack and measuring system to get the actual figures, and see if the rail is mashed back and shorter on that side. The rest should all be bolt on replacement. To me the frame and cowl pulls would be the critical end of it. The rest you could do yourself...I know your abilities.
      Yep, same as what I figured.
      There are some disturbed paint areas on the rail, but I don't see any wrinkling. The only way to know for sure is on a rack.
      We had a LOT of rain and it now leaks water into the cab on passenger side(never did before).

Hopefully hear something/get an update on Mon. from insurance folks?

sad jeep...

Last edited by babywag; 12-01-2019, 03:16 PM.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• chubbinius
        258 I6
        • Oct 31, 2018

Wow, that stinks, Tony. Fingers crossed that insurance does right by you, and that you can get some remedy in civil court against the car owner who let them use their vehicle while unlicensed/uninsured.
        1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
        -Dauntless 350 V8
        -D27 front/D44 rear
        2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

You changed that to your avatar?!?! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Bummer all around. Hopefully this wreck turns into the ticket to bring your Dad's Cherokee out to SoCal and do a drivetrain swap with this one. Glad you and your midget faired "well".
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            You changed that to your avatar?!?! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Bummer all around. Hopefully this wreck turns into the ticket to bring your Dad's Cherokee out to SoCal and do a drivetrain swap with this one. Glad you and your midget faired "well".
            Yes! ALL that really matters to me is kiddo wasn't hurt. The 'ole Jeep can be replaced with something else.
            It had a good run.
            Tony

Comment

• 661warwagon
              232 I6
              • Apr 21, 2016

So what are your plans ....repair, sell or part out?

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                304 AMC
                • Jul 25, 2016

I hope the jeep destroyed the car you hit.

did it ?

dave in NC
                SOLSAKS - dave
                1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                1988 grand wagoneer
                2004 RUBICON jeep
                Benson, NC

Comment

• fsj454
                  Long time member
                  • Jan 02, 2015

bad day

Sorry and I do not no what to say about this . But you and the little one are all right that's all that counts .
                  1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by 661warwagon
                    So what are your plans ....repair, sell or part out?
                    No idea yet...

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                    I hope the jeep destroyed the car you hit.

did it ?

dave in NC
                    Yes, but doesn't make me feel any better. It was some other woman's car and she probably needed it? She made a bad call letting the deadbeat use it, but she got screwed too.

Originally posted by fsj454
                    Sorry and I do not no what to say about this . But you and the little one are all right that's all that counts .
                    Originally posted by babywag
                    Yes! ALL that really matters to me is kiddo wasn't hurt. The 'ole Jeep can be replaced with something else.
                    It had a good run.
                    Finally heard from insurance co. yesterday. As I suspected from day 1 it doesn't look good.
                    They(other individuals) are NOT cooperating, and have not contacted/replied to requests(emails/phone calls/letters) for information from insurance co.

According to my insurance co. & the ca.gov insurance info website max payout is capped @ $3500 even *if* they(insurance) step up and do what is right.
                    Such BS but that is the limit for uninsured/underinsured

So now I just wait to see what insurance co. will do for me.
                    Court is an option obviously, but even if I win no guarantee I'll see a dime.
                    Way too easy for folks to simply file a waiver stating they cannot afford to pay.
                    Tony

Comment

Don't know what labor rates are down there, but that would get any frame/cowl pulls done and leave you with enough to get parts, but would be out your labor for putting back together and paint.....
                      Art
                      ASE Master Collision Tech
                      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• jeepman1
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 22, 2015

Total bummer..

Just saw your post Tony, sorry dude. Scumbags flock to states like Ca. and Fl. because they know for the most part, whatever they do is forgiven. I hope you can squeeze your insurance for a little!
                        : 98 9er
                        '83 Honcho j10
                        '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
                        '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• rws31
                          258 I6
                          • Dec 10, 2016

Really does suck dealing with Ins companies. I know what I would do if they lowballed the crap out of me. It is a blessing to not have any injuries to you and the little ones.

I would not lump FL in with Cali. Not even close.

Dirtbags don't flock anywhere. They are everywhere. There are people that just don't believe in doing the right thing. It only cost those of us that do the right thing, like have insurance.

It might just pay to go see an attorney. The cost of a consultation might just pay off.
                          89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
                          1988 Ramcharger
                          1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
                          2003 Durango 4x4
                          1982 CJ7 4 banger
                          2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• nograin
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 19, 2000

Hang in there Tony.
                            As long as your insurance company has an incentive to get the other person and their insurance to pay up, they are on your side.
                            That will change if they decide its more money than its worth to pursue. I would think tracking down plate numbers and insurance policies would be a every day investigation for them.

In the meantime, get some estimates for repair. Might even be worth fronting the repair (if you can) or at least hinting to your agent you may be doing that.
                            '85 Grand Wagoneer
                            360 727auto, NP229
                            body by beer (PO)
                            carries wood inside
                            no "wood" outside
                            My other car is a fish

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by rws31
                              ...Dirtbags don't flock anywhere. They are everywhere. ...
                              HAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAH!!!! True!

My brother is Highway Patrol here and he gets tasked, occasionally, with helping to clear out the homeless camps that set up on the side of the highways. He says, often times (his words), when they are booting folks, they have been bused in from other states. IOW, they are homeless in say, Denver, so CO buys them a one way bus ticket to Sacramento. Then that person gets comfy weather/no snow, hand outs, etc. that CA has to offer. Plus, since most drug usage and possession has been basically decriminalized here, they can live their life the way they want to, so they stay. I am not sure I would qualify that as flocking here, but it happens quite a bit, and this state is not interested in fixing issues like that. We are more concerned with plastic straws and making sure tweens/teenagers can get abortions without their parents finding out.
                              This concludes my rant.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                                out of order
                                • Jun 08, 2005

Gawd this insurance co. sux!
                                After 16 work days, they finally sent out an adjuster to "take a look @ it" today.
                                What a joke.

Per the last conversation with my claims person yesterday they are still "investigating coverage" of the other vehicle owner.
                                They have had no contact with the guy who was driving.

Seriously?
                                They either have coverage or they don't...
                                If someone refuses to give a simple statement to them in 3 weeks time he isn't going to!
                                Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X