Gas at ~2 bucks a gallon, How will this effect the Hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

When 91 octane got under $3, that is what I started feeding the 401.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• mrtazwrench
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 10, 2001

If prices stay down it's another factor pushing me toward another Ouray trip for '15, I don't even want to know how much I spent for fuel in '13 ball park may have been $1100 for fuel, that's at 10MPG, may have been less towing over the mountains.
      Chad
      "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
      88Wag
      87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      83Cherokee WT
      82J20
      Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• RWrightPhotog
        327 Rambler
        • Jun 07, 2011

Alls I know is I can actually afford to drive for however long it stays down. I'm sure by next Summer gas prices will be back up.

I do know for some reason my 300zx drives a lot faster now that premium gas is cheaper. Don't know why hahaha
        Rob

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 360
        1979 Jeep Cherokee 4-Door 258
        1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 360

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
          Banned
          • Mar 01, 2009

Gas aint $2.00 around my neck of the...plains.
          Last I tanked up was 5 days ago and 91 Octane is still around $2.55 a gallon. 85 octane is $2.30-ish.

Are people gonna buy old gas-guzzlers because the world is gonna be a sunny, inexpensive place to live and drive now?

Yep, and a free puppy with every gallon of gas you buy too, I'm sure.

Just means instead of $65 a fillup, it'll be $50 a fillup.

For a while. Then it'll go up. It always goes back up.

Comment

• mrtazwrench
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 10, 2001

Nearest station to me was $1.99 tonight.
            Chad
            "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
            https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
            88Wag
            87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            83Cherokee WT
            82J20
            Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

Higher in AK :-P

You lower 48'ers must be getting good deals.

Between 3-ish and up to 4.15 gal at a station near the airport.
              Slaveway/Phred's a bit cheaper with their cards.

Enjoy it while you can, 'cos Emperor Unicorn and his Carbon Penguins
              won't stand for that. '15 is supposed to be full tilt boogie against 'evil carbon-ators', the Eee-Pee-Yay has been granted some new and better powers to play with.

I'll admit it, if I could be back with the Wag, I'd be pedal down too for a while,
              to blow said carbon out of the old mill, and just for the enjoyment of driving the Wag.

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

Yeah, oil prices won't stay depressed for long. We are a perfect example of why. Gas drops to $2 due to supply and we say 'yeah, I can afford to take the jeep out a little more' and we increase the demand.

Plus this is my year to get back up to Ouray. It won't feel like I am really Ouray if I am paying less than $4 a gallon for gas.
                82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• LogCabinWagon
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 23, 2014

$1.81 for regular coming through town last night. Can't wait to get my Waggoneer on the road full time.

LogCabinResort.com

1991 Grand Wagoneer <95k miles

Comment

• JERSEY JOE
                    304 AMC
                    • Jan 15, 2004

FUEL PRICES

Yeah it's currently $1.87 a gallon for regular in New Jersey. It's about the only thing that's cheap here.
                    1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 IHC D300 FARM TRUCK NY
                    1985 CJ 7 AMC 401, CLARK 285SV 5 SPEED, DANA 60, DANA 44, RUBICON 4.5 LIFT. 37 KRAWLERS
                    1987 J-20 401 90% COMPLETED.
                    1985 J-20 360 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck
                    1986 J-20 360 stock well rusted plow truck
                    1970 AMX CURRENT PROJECT

Comment

• hookedup50
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 07, 2010

That one of the things I miss about NJ, cheap gas. I think its 2.36 in Ma.
                      Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
                      Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
                      Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
                      07 Colorado
                      http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• Herk
                        350 Buick
                        • Jun 12, 2006

Be thankful for the gift of cheap gas. No really, face Mecca, kneel down and offer your most humble gratitude.
                        There are 2 rules to success in life...
                        Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                        2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

• LogCabinWagon
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 23, 2014

Herk,

I was just trying to be positive. But having worked in Oil & Gas the last 20 years, I agree this is really a bad thing.

Here's the best write-up I've found with references:

Ignore all the goofy ads on the side.

LogCabinResort.com

1991 Grand Wagoneer <95k miles

Comment

unhooked

It would be cool if the ptb had the spine/stones to unhook from the
                            camel teats.

WTH we can't be self sufficient, at prices the average working stiff can afford to still keep the lights on for their families is beyond me.

Yeah, I get the whole supply/demand thing.

But of anyone thinks the sandbox is ever gonna be stable, they have heat stroke on the brain.

Despite the pounding the Germans took in WW2, they developed a synfuel industry.

There has to be just a few smart folks in this country, who could suss this out. Alot of what's been going on since post war behind the scenes is bleeping garbage. And no, I don't hate gas/oil....I like my vehicles, and being able to be independently mobile. Not all of us want to live in a big hive/hub city like the progcoms dream about.

And sending guys in suits to punish those who brew their own (biodiesel)
                            is ridiculous....really, punish private folks for taking initiative and trying to support themselves? Yeah, that's a winning policy to have. 'They' are always pushing 'green/reuse/recycle'- so if a few local folks get together with restaurant owners, and agree to haul off the waste oil and reuse it so they can get to work too, what's the bleeping harm?

It seems the ever mysterious 'they', like folks to be dependent on Uncle Sugar and his programs/pals.

Didn't this country help to win a couple big wars, help to liberate some folks, and send some guys to the moon a few times? Or was that can-do drive and initiative just a myth??

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                              Banned
                              • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by Tinkerjeep
                              Gas aint $2.00 around my neck of the...plains.
                              Last I tanked up was 5 days ago and 91 Octane is still around $2.55 a gallon. 85 octane is $2.30-ish.

Are people gonna buy old gas-guzzlers because the world is gonna be a sunny, inexpensive place to live and drive now?

Yep, and a free puppy with every gallon of gas you buy too, I'm sure.

Just means instead of $65 a fillup, it'll be $50 a fillup.

For a while. Then it'll go up. It always goes back up.
                              Got the Cherk running the other day. Had to put gas in it 'cuz I forgot I ran it out of gas when I parked it 6 months ago. 85 octane was $1.86 per...but 91 octane is still $2.11....

I wonder how long this can last....

Comment

a little while longer

.....a little while longer....grrrrr

until we find out who will win this price war, King Saud-Camel or Vlad Puty-Tin the Impaler....Camel can afford to crush the domestic mini-boom price wise, our guys can't compete with their reserves or their labor costs.

Same with Vlad, despite Komrade O's limp-wristed bubble gum policies and speeches, Puty-Tin doesn't fear him.

Seriously, a former, actual Cold War dude, vs. some supposed Haah-vaad
                                Professor hack and ACORN shill....that would be an interesting cage match, even if the Bear is older. Not a fan of Vlad, but I'd pay 5 bucks to see him give O some free dental work.

Plus the fight between Whiny-Boy Bonehead/Mc-Con-All vs. Komrade O coming up- O and the Unicorns aren't gonna let the evil R's have their Kanadian Karbon Pipe finished. Bonehead and Con are not real opposition,
                                it's all for show. No spine, guts, or...eh...clankers. Meet the new boss(es),
                                same as the old boss(es).

We lose either way. For now, of you got the coin, fill em up, and enjoy.
                                I'd be doing the same as you guys if I was home, driving the Wag as much as I could.

Comment

Working...
                                X