• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phils67
    232 I6
    • Mar 24, 2018

Good leaf spring source?

Im really considering going back to stock height. I hate my 4" Hell creek springs. It rides like crap and after driving it on a 175 mile round trip this weekend I've decided it has to go. Anyone have a good source for new stock replacements for a first generation pickup?
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

Have you tried removing a leaf or two?
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Phils67
      232 I6
      • Mar 24, 2018

I hate them in general. Its not just about the ride quality. They have my front shackles straight up and down and the front has zero movement in any direction. I get death wobble so bad it started to crack my steering box mount and that is with a perfect alignemnt, all new front end components and perfectly balanced tires. The rear i dont mind so much but its just not a good ride at all. I want stock again. Im over it. Tired of having to hang on for dear life when i drive and pray i dont hit a mild bump in the road, i hate jumping up into it, and i have a truck that mechanically handles 85mph like a champ on the highway if its on perfect fresh pavement but i have to drive the interstate no more than 60mph with white knuckles the whole time. Stock was better. Its been about 6 agravating years with these springs, and thats less than 10k on them. I would even make a weekend project with someone if they wanted to trade theirs for mine in my driveway. I'll even provide food and adult beverages.

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

On your death wobble... What's your caster angle? Your problem may have a simple solution...
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Phils67
          232 I6
          • Mar 24, 2018

No clue. I didnt do the alignment. I dont have any shims angling the front diff, It sits how it would on stock springs, just at a different height. It has the original spring perches on it. I didnt move the front spring posts. Im using stock shackles. It has a solid closed knuckle and kingpin setup and steering preload is at 13lbs. FSM says 12-16lbs IIRC, it was in stock specs. I dont know why it does it but it never did it prior to the lift. All i know is im sick of locking up my brakes at interstate speeds to make it stop. Its a matter of time until it causes an accident and i damage my truck. Thats not an option
          Last edited by Phils67; 05-13-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Phils67
            232 I6
            • Mar 24, 2018

Its really more than just the death wobble. Its not a good ride at all. Plus i have a bad back and leg so climbing up almost 3 feet to the floorboard is getting old.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

I bought used springs from Craigslist. They are all over down here in SoCal. I have a set of Crown replacement springs under the front of my rig right now: super soft. You can have them for the cost of shipping (only the front though). Just know shipping will probably be close to $100.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Phils67
                232 I6
                • Mar 24, 2018

Apparently the death wobble cracked the frame where the steering box mounts so springs are now secondary.

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  I bought used springs from Craigslist. They are all over down here in SoCal. I have a set of Crown replacement springs under the front of my rig right now: super soft. You can have them for the cost of shipping (only the front though). Just know shipping will probably be close to $100.
                  Early ones are whole different animal.
                  ?76-?91 springs interchange, not the case on his truck.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Copy. Second bad bit of info I have dispensed today.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• R69US
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 06, 2015

I got the fronts on my 66 from Alcan, and they were able to add two inches of lift and bend new U bolts for me. They were easy to deal with and seem nice enough. Not cheap though...

Comment

Working...
                      X