X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

I've got a small electric heater I can use if I really need to, but I don't want to run up the electric bill to much.

I got the tranny mounted today. I just had to drill one hole in the metal tranny mount, two for the TH400 mount in the top of the civi x-member and on in the side for the M715 torque stud.

I also had to make a new mount for the torque stud, as the stock piece of angle wasn't long enough for me to mount it to the side of the x-member.

I have to slot the hole in the x-member for that bracket, as I managed to get the tranny mount bracket 3/16" higher on that side. It's also offset to the driver side 1/8".

Pretty close I think.

Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• The PIG Smith
      King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by KaiserMan
      I've decided to go original with this project (I know the military 230 is a little different, but a 230/T98 was optional for my 63).
      I understand the Military 230 and Civilian 230 are different.
      Could you explain the differences?
      Do you think you will be disappointed with the lack of power of 230 compared to the 400 SBC?

...and the truck has been converted to 12 volt with a civi distributer and a new 12v starter.
      What else needs to be done to de-militarize your 230?

The guy is cutting the M715 apart this weekend. I proably won't pick it up for a month or so. Still busy with the 71.
      Goodness...I foam at the mouth when I hear "M-715" and "Project" in the same sentence
      and there are those out in the world that are just cutting them up.
      Last edited by The PIG Smith; 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM.
      Bryan Smith
      2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
      - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
      1986 Jeep J20
      - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
      1982 Jeep J10
      - Has become a Long Term Project.
      1981 Jeep J20
      - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
      1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
      - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
      ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
      Originally posted by Lindel
      Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

It is sad. The M715 was a running driving not to rotted truck. But he needed parts to fix his other m715. So it's death get both his truck and mine one step closer to the road.

The military 230 has the low compression head and 1 bbl carb (these where available on some civi models). It also has side mount motor mounts and no front plate (mounted to the block before the timing cover), vs the mounts on the front plate of the civi motors. Everything elctrical (starter, distributer, coil etc) is different as it is 24 volt. The air cleaner is a little different. Alternater brackets are different. Lots of little things.

I'm not going to bother replacing all the military stuff. It's actually much easier to get those parts then civi parts anyway.

I won't be dissapointed about the power differance, it will be massive but I expect that. This isn't going to be a highway rig, and with the 4.27 gears and smaller tires I think I will have plenty of power. If I need a bit of a boost, I'll toss on a 2bbl intake and carb.
        Thomas Russell
        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

Turbo it!!!
          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• KaiserMan
            I got the Willys....
            • Jun 21, 2005

I'd love to get one of those Argintinian(sp) dual quad intakes for the 230. That would be sweet! Or a six pack intake, I'd like to tell the ricers I have a six-pack Hemi under the hood!

Got a little work done.

I drilled out the spot welds and removed the orginal radiator supports, then did the same for the ones from the M715. Got those in position and welded on, and bolted the core support back on. The M715 radiator looks to be the same as the slightly lager 232/258 radiator, even though is has the 230. I also have the stock shroud from the 715.

I tossed the hood on. I convinced myself that I needed it to help line up the core support (I had the radiator bolted to the upright supports, had them bolted to the frame and bolted the core to the inner fenders before I tack welded everything together so I would not mess anything up).

I think I just wanted to put the hood on. I also could not resist putting the grille support panel on with a couple of bolts.

Also got my new slave cylinder mounted. Bought, bled and mounted my clutch master cylinder. I'll be making new hard lines and a push rod for the slave tomorrow.

Got the throttle and choke cables back in.
            Thomas Russell
            1971 Gladiator

Comment

• red mistress
              304 AMC
              • Sep 13, 2007

Choke cable

I'll get that NOS choke cable to U soon, N/C you've been a big help and great friend.

Keep up the good work on the 63.
              67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
              69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
              80 Honcho Sportside
              82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
              82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
              83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
              84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
              84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
              87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by red mistress
                I'll get that NOS choke cable to U soon, N/C you've been a big help and great friend.

Keep up the good work on the 63.
                Thanks Dennis, I appreciate it!

Sent you a PM, btw.
                Thomas Russell
                1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Long&Low
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 03, 2008

Nice work Thomas.
                  Breakfast amounts to one live toad, I choke that mofo down, and I am rest assured that nothing worse will happen to me for the rest of the day.

CJ truck project
                  '18 Jeep Renegade
                  '15 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

• jeepjerry
                    304 AMC
                    • Oct 12, 2008

Cool... Im liking that your returning the originallity to it with the 230. Sweet.
                    1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
                    1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
                    1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
                    Kenosha, WI 53142
                    http://www.alfanoperformance.com
                    For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

• willam
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 12, 2005

Very nice work Thom.......I know your a fanatic about original an all. But the engine bay looks so.....vacant.

The stupid uber expensive SBC 400 would have rocked.

Why divorced transfercase? Wasn't the Dana 20 original?

BTW - My '63 should have it's crappy drivetrain extracted in either may or June. At that point your welcome to the driverside Dana 20 shifter. Everything works on it smooth as silk (a little sloppy but the detent's are firm and hold there place)

Comment

• KaiserMan
                        I got the Willys....
                        • Jun 21, 2005

I'd rather use a mated Dana 20, but the motor and tranny are out of an M715, which used a divoreced t-case. So I don't have a choice. I'd like to get wither a 200 or a 205.

I definitely want that early shifter when you pull it. I'm sure I'll do something with it eventually.
                        Thomas Russell
                        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
                          I got the Willys....
                          • Jun 21, 2005

Well a bit more with the updates.

Bought this rebuilt powder coated NP205 from imicemen. Should be here in couple of weeks. It's going to make the rest of the greasy/rusty drive train look like crap. A few weeks of New England driving should cure that though.

I'm not sure if I will use the cross member though. It looks like it will drop the 205 way to low to work for me. I may just modify the M175 200 mounts that I have.

Tore the stock wiring harness out of the truck and clenaed it up. It was actually in very good shape, and had no wires cut to fit the 307. I just fixed any bad connections, re-wrapped sections of it and put it back in teh truck.
                          I haven't actually hooked it up (truck runs off of a small wiring harness I made jsut to start it) but it's all back in place and ready to go.

I guess I have power brakes now. I pulled and installed the Midland-Ross power booster from my parts truck (should be picking it up next weekend as I need some bits fro the brakes) and installed it. Also picked up a neaer new stock style master cylinder at a local swap meet for $5. Tore it apart, cleaned it, bleen it and now it's my MC for the clutch. I swapped the other MC I had for the brakes. It had a wire clip for the cover and I couldn't flip it open after installing the booster.

I started getting into the front brakes the other day. Shoes have some good life left in them, and someone tossed new spring kits and wheel cylinders in it before parking it. I have to rebuild the cylinders but kits are only $5 each. New wheel cylinders are $68 each! I have some near new brake hoses from when my 71 had the 5-lug c/k D44 in it I'm using.

While I was there, I grabbed the knuckle and found the drivers side had bad king pins and a loose TRE. Tore it apart and found that the lower beairng cage had blown apart. So I grabbed the knuckle, king pins and bearings from my 40K mile D44 out of the 71 (it turned out to have new bearings in it) and swapped all of those bits on. The u-joints (like almost all c.k axles I've taken apart) are still good and tight. They tend to last dang near forever running in oil/grease. I'll also be using the good TRE off the 40K axle.

Got a lot of minor things done under the hood, nothing really worth writing about. Oh, I did install the M715 twin sticks in the Jeep. They will work with the 205 and give me front axle in/out and Hi-N-Lo.

Things to do before it's driving.

1. Install NP205 and crossmember.
                          2. Cut down rear drive shaft to fit.
                          3. Exhaust
                          4. Finish front brake job.

Some other minor stuff but that is everything major. Won't be to long now.
                          Thomas Russell
                          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Mikel
                            • Aug 09, 2000

Good score! Can't wait to see that truck running. You'd be surprised how much room there is in that area. After a lot of juggling, I was able to squeeze my NP200 between the frame rails with no overhang (and it is MUCH bigger than a NP200!), so a NP205 should fit too quite nicely.

Last edited by Mikel; 04-24-2009, 09:45 AM.
                            1969 M715 6x6
                            1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Tonka J200
                              360 AMC

• Jul 21, 2002

Not to get off track, Mikel, but I love how your Toronado ends up in the background of every photo.
                              -Frank
                              '63 J200 2WD
                              '63 J200 4WD: J20 Axles, extended wheelbase, factory stakebed
                              '63 J100 Panel Delivery
                              '91 Grand Wagoneer Final Edition
                              "If you're going to laugh about it someday, you might as well start now".

Comment

• Mikel
                                • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by Tonka J200
                                Not to get off track, Mikel, but I love how your Toronado ends up in the background of every photo.
                                I have no idea what you are talking about

1969 M715 6x6
                                1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

Working...
                                X