Hummer Wheel????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummer Wheel????

Seems I have conflicting info on the backspacing of the Hummer Wheels. The ones I will be running is the 12 bolt style, if that makes any differance.
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing
  • FSJeeper
    King of Unfinished Projects
    • May 20, 2000

BS is 7.25" up through the late 90's. After that there may be some variation on the civilian models. 12 bolt radial units are the only way to go.
    In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

Great Thanks. Another question maybe you can answer or find out next time you have a Tape in hand. I need to know the outside tread to outside tread of the tires you are running on your setup. Size of tires as well. I am trying to figure out how much the wheels are going to stick out on my Wag, and if the XJ Bushwacker flares will cover them, which is the next thing I need to know. How much of a Flare is the Bushwacker Flare. Looks like I need to run spacers on the Van 14 Bolt axle, as its a lot narrower than the D60 front. I just want to get this right, LOL

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

Looks like pete is gona have a SWT Wagoneer (SWT = super wide trac)

Comment

• tuck
          350 Buick
          • Apr 29, 2001

Originally posted by FSJeeper:
          BS is 7.25" up through the late 90's. After that there may be some variation on the civilian models. 12 bolt radial units are the only way to go.
          just curious, why such a strong support for the 12 bolt wheels? Are the others (8 bolts?) undesirable, or just not as good?
          1972 Wagoneer 360/th400/dana20/10b/14b/35\'s... welded diffs, full hydro and so on..

Comment

Originally posted by tuck:
            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FSJeeper:
            just curious, why such a strong support for the 12 bolt wheels? Are the others (8 bolts?) undesirable, or just not as good?</font>[/QUOTE]The 8 bolt is not as strong as the 12 bolt. The 8 bolt is meant for Bias Ply tires and the 12 is for Radials. Seems the 8 bolt is not strong enough for Radials. Not sure I understand why, but no mater I like the looks of the 12 bolt anyhow. I only plan on buying one set, so I will make it the right ones to start with!

Comment

I think the run-flats have something to do with it....not sure....
              Todd
              www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Stuka
                • Jan 21, 2001

Bias plys dont need the support that radials do because they are already a very rigid tire.

Comment

• tomd
                  304 AMC
                  • May 04, 2002

Originally posted by River Beast:
                  I think the run-flats have something to do with it....not sure....
                  I'm pretty sure some have a magnesium runflat, and others have a rubber one? Not sure which is on which though...
                  71 J-4000 on a 76 Cherokee chassis with homemade flatbed
                  360/Th400/PT QT/3.07 D44s

Comment

• Midnightwagon
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 06, 2002

the runflats arent an issue, both the 8 bolt and 12 bolt are running both the mag runflat and the rubber one. the only problems with either is the rubber one is such a pita to get out of the tire when done, or you need to change the tire. we had to hook up 2 hmmwv's nose to nose and hook a cargo strap to the rubber runflat and the winch cable to the tire(was already destroyed) and when it finally came apart it was fun it flew over the hummve still attached to the cargo strap.
                    well anyways back to the subject, the ruber one is a pita, and the mag one is in 2 halves and bolts together inside the tire and the rim halves bolt in the middle sandwiching the tire.
                    my jeep has gone to that great big salvage yard in the sky

Comment

• FSJeeper
                      • May 20, 2000

I can vouch for the rubber Hummer runflat/beadlock's being a PITA. If I had it to do over agin I would have just bought the 1 piece rubber beadlock without the runflat. The runflats weigh at least 40lbs each, are a total PITA to install which took me at least 4 hours each tire with someone helping me, and I can not imagine taking the runflat out of the tire if I ever had to change it. I have been told the trick is to lube up the tire, attach it to something like a tree, tie the runflat up to your truck, and yank the heck out of it. Seems like it would ruin the tire but friends tell me it doesn't.

For anyone going this route, the mag runflats will tear up tires larger than 38" unless you cut the runflat portion off the beadlock. The 1 piece beadlock Hummer option is the way to go. They probably wiegh 3 lbs and install super easy.

I have another set of 37" MT's I am mounting on Hummer rims for road trips and I am definitely using the 1 piece rubber beadlock without the runflat this time.
                      In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• tuck
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 29, 2001

so pretty much, there is no substantial evidence as to why one should use the 12 bolt wheels over the 8 bolt... except for maybe the radial vs. bias issue, which seems shady at best. if I'm going to run hummer rims, they aren't going to be with radials.
                        1972 Wagoneer 360/th400/dana20/10b/14b/35\'s... welded diffs, full hydro and so on..

Comment

• FSJeeper
                          • May 20, 2000

If your going Bias, run the 8 bolts. Guys with 44's run them all the time with no problems and they are a lot cheaper and easier to find than the radial model. They commonly go for $50 each around my parts for the 8 bolt models. I paid $500 for my set of 12 bolt civy style wheels with the tubber beadlock/runflats.

Comment

• tuck
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 29, 2001

thanks FSJeeper, you're a wealth of information...

Comment

Working...
                            X