• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ncardiff
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 25, 2008

BW 1339 rebuild

im rebuilding my transfer case and i want to replace my bearings... especially my output shaft bearing, its shot... doesnt move freely at all, but i cant find an exact replacement anywhere locally... can i replace with a bearing that isnt shielded? will it affect anything if i do this?
    1979 Cherokee 360/TH400/QT-PT/3" Body/35's "In Progress"

2003 TJ 4.0L I6/Edge Chip/Intake/2" Lift/33's
  • shackwrrr
    360 AMC
    • Mar 04, 2006

hhttp://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=354&plID=317&partID=10967

kinda pricey

well since their website is stupid and wont let me link directly to the bearing heres the part number on their site 8122391
    Last edited by shackwrrr; 01-13-2009, 09:33 PM.
    Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

Be careful of Chinese reproductions. Been a while since I bought one and pretty sure you can find a match at NAPA. When you say shielded... You mean the "cap" on the bearing casing so you can't see the ball bearings? It does help debris from getting inside but don't think it is a requirement to have it. I am open to other opinions.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 06, 2004

I did a quick search on Rockauto.com and found a National bearing part number 206S for the front output shaft bearing and a 306 for the rear. A little over 20 bucks plus shipping. Tonight when I get home I will grab some of my extra ones and take them to Napa to try and get a replacement number. I agree with Flint, stay away from any Chinese replacements. Should be able to find a US made one... I will reply tomorrow when I have the bearings.
        Kevin.
        \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 06, 2004

I got home this evening and pulled out some spare bearings I have. It looks like Rockauto has the correct bearings. The stock bearings are made by Federal with a front part number of 1(or I)206FC and a rear part number of 1(orI)306. Measurements provided by Rockauto are correct too. Hope this helps.
          Kevin.
          \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

• ncardiff
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 25, 2008

well i found a bearing at advance it's a national 206 which is what came out of my rear output for some reason? but the bearing from advance isnt shielded like the old one, wasnt sure what impact that may have if any?

Comment

• BURT
              232 I6
              • Jan 14, 2006

bearings

try king bearing or a bearing house , they should be able to match it up, search bearing locally in yellow pages , these places provide good value for seals as well
              burt

Comment

• ncardiff
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 25, 2008

arizonachief are you sure about the dimensions? bc i took my old bearing out and put a micrometer to it and its not 2.8... like rockauto says idk whats up with my case but this whole project got out of hand lol i need this finished soon!

Comment

• imiceman44
                  327 Rambler
                  • Feb 25, 2006

Originally posted by ncardiff
                  arizonachief are you sure about the dimensions? bc i took my old bearing out and put a micrometer to it and its not 2.8... like rockauto says idk whats up with my case but this whole project got out of hand lol i need this finished soon!
                  You are assuming that a case that is 25 yo or more has never been repaired and that the PO put the right one?
                  IceMan

Comment

• ncardiff
                    230 Tornado
                    • Feb 25, 2008

yeah good point... but when the bearing i have fits in the hole its got to be the right dimensions whether replaced or original... so im at that wtf do i do now point!

Comment

• J10Dan
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jun 26, 2021

Help with QuadraTrac full rebuild

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread yet,

Ok im the middle of a full rebuild. Everything is done from cones, chain, needle bearings, washers, ect everything yet output shaft bearings.
                      Ok so here is one that has me really stumped.
                      Local bearing supply actually had the books for the QuadraTrac output shaft bearings, they listed them as Timken 6206-Z.
                      Saw on another forum the Timken 6206-Z were the right ones. Pulled the original Federals out.
                      Well tried to put them in couple days ago and they don't fit!
                      The outer diameter is to small, they are 2.44 od, and the original Federals outs are 2.49! What the heck is going on here! It's out by 50 thou? And I have a spare donar case that's 5 years older and the Federals in it are 2.49 as well.
                      The bearing supply place is trying to find a 2.49.
                      Anyone have any input?

Comment

Working...
                      X