• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3nellieb
    232 I6
    • Jan 09, 2010

Originally posted by Stu
    I bought my GW from the dealership I work at, with no door keys. I tend to procrastinate a lot, so I still don't have door keys. I never lock it. I just try to not leave anything anyone would want in any of my vehicles. My old mustang was broken into 3 times, without much value to the theif. Haven't had problems in quite a while, but that might be because I make a habbit of walking in and out of the house to the truck toting arms full of guns from time to time
    i do this on a reg base.I like to let the neighbors know what they might get if they go poking around where they are unwanted.i carry a gun on me everyday and when i come home from work i usually will wear it on the outside of my clothes when i get home.north carolina is an open carry state( i do have my con lic.) and if im on my own property no one can say a word.in my line of work its poss that at some point i will be in the line of danger and my wife might be as well. i dont mind people know i carry.makes me feel a little safer.
    Stupidity is often rewarded with pain.

86 waggy fresh 360 big bore tbi and all the works fresh727/208 4:27s front locked rear spooled 4'' bjs springs and 2'' body 37s irok(as of now) lots of cuttin.

Comment

• Stu
      232 I6
      • Aug 28, 2005

That being said, electric fence jeep security, and loony toons shotguns tied to door handles is funny, just remember it's also illegal Don't want to see anybody disapear from IFSJA cuz they're doing a 20-30 year for negligent homicide.

Scaring people without threatening people however, is just fine. So I stick to that one
      87 Grand Wagoneer "Sheila"
      83 K-30 "Mable"
      83 Eagle SX/4
      95 XJ Cherokee

Comment

• cocurtiss
        258 I6
        • Jan 04, 2010

i once locked the keys in the truck while running. we had to break the window lock in the back to get in. It was a funny but scAry experience
        1981 J20

soa/sf
        36x12.5x16.5 Goodyear Military oz
        no rust!

Comment

• lost1
          350 Buick
          • Sep 21, 2008

Nothing too wild for my rig; most of the time it stays unlocked here at the house, but up at the college its locked up. The little black/silver handles on the end of the locking mechanisms, those are long gone on the back doors. Just the screw threads popping out of the door. So, I dropped some spent ammo over them, .30-06. I've got NRA and terrorist hunting permit stickers on it, that's good enough security for now. When and if I ever get later on into the build, I will be installing a camera system, both for spotting and in case anything ever happens while parked. For now though it's not worth the effort.
          Originally posted by Locked and Loaded
          Jeeps don't get stuck. People do.
          <══════════════════════════════>
          Let the good times roll!
          '83 Wagoneer«» 401/TF727/3:31 AMC20

Comment

• billyj7175
            304 AMC
            • Sep 10, 2001

Me and my brother in law were out riding quads, and upon riding back to the truck, I discovered that I had locked my keys inside. Literally, before I could look in my quad pack for my cell phone, he grabbed a piece of bailing wire from the back of my truck and unlocked the door...took him maybe 30 seconds...
            83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
            360/727/229
            4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• newtojeeps
              350 Buick
              • Jun 28, 2006

I surround the nice one with my rust buckets, hoping the thief hasn't had a booster shot lately.

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by shackwrrr
                ...I left an ipod that I got for free and didnt work on the dash for over a month with the doors clearly unlocked and sometimes with the window rolled down. Nobody ever touched it even though someones car was broken into with just 1 or 2 cds laying on the seat here.
                It's been a long time (things may have changed with all our electrical gadetry we have these days) but a previous GF worked for an insurance adjuster, the two most common reasons for vehicle breakins back then were change and ciggaretts.
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Elwoody
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 05, 2009

Apparently one of my friends, (I met him on here) but his J-Truck doesn't even have locks. Not there, none. None at all, ever. Never existed. He plans to ultimately replace the doors with some doors from a wag. Honestly, I was kinda shocked. A car without even locks is simply foreign to me.

I'd like to get some rifle racks... Frankly, I see somebody wearing street clothes trying to look "Gangsta" -- chances are I'm not going really trust them. They may be great people! Not gonna trust them. -lock the doors and stare...- I tend to try to avoid places... Downtown ghetto area of Norfolk and 90% of Portsmouth.

"Carry Me Back to Old Virginny"
                  "Oops... I think I broke it..."

Feel free to contact me via AIM or MSN. A little 1-on-1 regarding explanations really can help me learn.

Comment

• duncanstives
                    304 AMC
                    • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Smiff
                    How about a write-up on that with a live demonstration? I knew a guy in college that would let people tag him with a cattle prod for fun....
                    I get enough of that at work. Got hit with 15KV 2 days after I started working. The company and my boss are pretty good about safety stuff (we get yearly training, lockout proceedures, etc, etc) but working on stuff and building equipment I often have interlocks bypassed and stuff.
                    Once got shocked by a 480V circuit on a 60A breaker... I am lucky to be alive but amazingly all I got was a burn the size of a quarter and did not even fall off the ladder I was on... It was pretty painful though
                    88 Waggy
                    Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

• cavicatz24
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 18, 2010

Originally posted by shackwrrr
                      But the real crooks know that if you have tint that dark you are hiding something and if its worth hiding its worth stealing.
                      Good point. I'll have tint that dark cuz I like to sleep in my vehicles...
                      Think anybody will try to steal me?
                      "Bessie" 1982 Wagoneer Limited
                      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=120964

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

I always kept a Haynes repair manual(well worn and greasy) as well as a couple small empty car parts boxes laying in the back seat of the T Bird. Door locks didn't work so I made it look like it was a POS car with mechanical problems. I drove that thing trouble free for 300,000 miles and never had it messed with.
                        I leave my J20 like that as well to keep anyone from thinking it is a nice truck. I do take the tailgate off and store it in the hallway when I'm not driving it. People look at it and figure what it is worth scrap value. If the brakeline was fixed, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Alaska tomorrow.

Best thing is to keep any thing of value elsewhere,as in take it in with you at night, or stuff it under the seat out of sight. I also carry a small blanket with me that works nice for stashing something under when going into a store or as in one case I gave my blanket to a lady who just wiped out her car in front of me on the highway. It was chilly out and she was scared and shaking. It went with her in the bambulance.
                        Tom Gibson
                        1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
                        1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
                        1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
                        2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• freeincolorado
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jul 27, 2009

I also believe in the ugly truck theory. My Jeep is so ugly nobody would look twice at it. Cars were getting broken into at my former apartment complex quite often and once a Durango that was parked right next to my Jeep had the windows broken out. One time after a rash of break ins at this particular complex, I received a call at 12:30 p.m. from the police saying my Jeep had been possibly broken into. The funny thing was that I (and it) were at my girlfriends house in Canon City about 60 miles away.

The ugly truck defence doesn't always work though. I have an 88 Mazda B2200 that is pretty ugly and its been broken into twice. Once in Ft. Collins someone broke the window out and stole 2 or 3 bucks in nickels and pennies and once here in the Springs my registration and insurance card were stolen, along with my cell phone charger.
                          Tom
                          1989 Grand Wagoneer:
                          One problem a time.

I aim to misbehave.

Comment

Working...
                          X