• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10fennyglass
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 25, 2009

powertrain went poop so now i need options

so i was drivin home the other nite on a gravel road.... i was playin a lil and spinnin tires and wut not. sometimes my trans will pop into neutral... so i was holdin the shifter durring a lil gas given time and the PRNDL shot all the way down to 1ST and then i was stuck... thinkin i blew my trans... until i put the Tcase in low and the jeep went... thinkin a blew my tcase after that... well i did... split the sun shaft in two... but now the PRNDL is almost impossible to move.... and im scared to look.... ha ANYONE....
    and if anyones got a reduction unit that they wanna sell that would be great for a quadra trac
    oh and its a 77cherokee wit a 360 THM400(i think even though when i was in the auto program they said it was a 375) and a quadtratrac
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

Check your transmission mount sounds like it is loose or broken
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• 10fennyglass
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 25, 2009

yea i feel stupid and releived now... just poked my head under there and one of the shifter points is taggin the header... and thats why its been poppin out of gear randomly in the first place whew!!! so now i just need my reduction shaft...
      Last edited by 10fennyglass; 01-25-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• bigun
        • Feb 10, 2003

Wait till you have it happen to you on the drag strip the light goes green you drop the hammer and it goes to neutral at 6k rpm. I put a floor shifter in after that and added a J bolt over the top of the tranny in case the mount ever let go again it wouldn't move.
        Last edited by bigun; 01-25-2009, 09:19 PM.
        charlie
        KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
        Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• 10fennyglass
          230 Tornado
          • Jan 25, 2009

you have any pics of your floor mount... that sounds great...

Comment

• bigun
            • Feb 10, 2003

It wasn't in a jeep
            charlie
            KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

Sorry to hear of the damage. You may want to check the motor mounts and the tranny mount if you haven't yet. I was wondering if you could post a picture of that busted LR shaft?
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 10fennyglass
                230 Tornado
                • Jan 25, 2009

a pic of the sun shaft or wutever they cal it... its just the center shaft thats in the reduction unit... i would like to post a pic... which i have... but the sites got limited memory and i dont have a hosting site. yes my trans mounts was blown... and replaced and as i look im missing all the bolts on my pass side motor mount... muhahah it just gets better... but ya know before this and on the way home.... in low... it drove well... i even gave it balls on the way home trying to break it more... i mean more so than when i wheel it... i live near a steeeeeeep hill

Comment

• bigun
                  • Feb 10, 2003

Hosting site for FSJs
                  charlie
                  KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                    304 AMC
                    • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by 10fennyglass
                    a pic of the sun shaft or wutever they cal it... its just the center shaft thats in the reduction unit... i would like to post a pic... which i have... but the sites got limited memory and i dont have a hosting site. yes my trans mounts was blown... and replaced and as i look im missing all the bolts on my pass side motor mount... muhahah it just gets better... but ya know before this and on the way home.... in low... it drove well... i even gave it balls on the way home trying to break it more... i mean more so than when i wheel it... i live near a steeeeeeep hill
                    Main problem with EVERY FSJ. Lack of prior maintenance/repair.

We get a 30 yr old truck that has been (most likely) hated and maligned and mistreated for the past ten years. Was probably maintained by people who thought it was a Ford block with a Chevy transmission, Or a Dodge block with Ford Distributor. Or whatever crap they can make up on the spot. IF it was maintained at all...

And then we proceed to take the tired old mule and flog it like a racehorse, or at least expect it to perform admirably as a pack-mule.

And when it blows up, people say 'AMC's are junk'.

What a world.

Peace
                    Dave
                    There is no way to rule innocent men.
                    The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                    Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                    One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
                      Main problem with EVERY FSJ. Lack of prior maintenance/repair.
                      that's funny, because i know the old owner of his rig.

sorry joe, but lack of maintenance.... that's chris for you!

Al
                      79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                      99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                      07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Marc
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 16, 2000

10fennyglass,

You have pm.

Marc
                        Last edited by Marc; 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X