• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Ironsides
    258 I6
    • Jul 06, 2014

What is the most reliable Ignition?

I installed a DUI ignition on The '76 17 years ago and it has performed flawlessly. So I decided to put the same on my '75 two years ago.

Since then, it has almost stranded me multiple times (I have a 160 mile commute 1-4 times a month). Each time it was the module. I've been through 5 of them in 7000 miles. Now it's doing it again, and I think I'll try replacing the coil.

I'm about ready to give up on it. I would love something that has no module to fail. Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
    Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
    '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
    '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

I've driven Jeeps with points, HEI and DuraSpark. Points have hands down been the most reliable for me. They are extremely simple and parts are easy to get.

Quality ignition modules (for any system) are hard to get now a days. I had a BRAND NEW Echlin module bad out of the box, replacing a failed low mileage module that came in a rebuilt distributor. I'm running an NOS GM module now with no issues. Buy the best quality module you can.
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

Points are very reliable if you know how to maintain them and the distributor. A worn out distributor will give you fits. Not many people know how to maintain points and their distributor properly any more.

The original Delcotron HEI is probably the most trouble-free and maintenance-free ignition for an old car. Some of the cheap Chinese aftermarket HEI's are junk.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

I'm with the others. If you do the simple maint points are ultra reliable.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Tanker
          350 Buick
          • Jan 04, 2005

Points with MSD. Or just MSD.Ran MSD with points on a FE Bird ran a lot better an points lasted a long time.
          Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
          Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• Old Ironsides
            258 I6
            • Jul 06, 2014

Just points with no module... just a magneto like an airplane or lawn mower engine? Do points have a coil? Do these have a mechanical advance? What brand are you guys running?
            Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
            Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
            '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
            '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Use points to trigger a MSD module. The points will last a looooong time, since all they do is trigger the module. The module takes over the stressful coil switching. If the module fails, you can disconnect it and run points ignition till a full repair is possible.

The OEM Delco distributors on these Jeeps are very good, as points distributors go. I think the Durasparks also are good, except for their terrible connectors ... maybe clip it off and replace with a Weatherpack. The aftermarket Duraspark modules seem pretty junky ... but you can run a HEI module or a MSD module with the Duraspark distro.
              Last edited by tgreese; 08-08-2017, 11:11 AM.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• kansasboy001
                232 I6
                • Nov 06, 2016

A little pricey but the msd distributior with an msd box and a oem ford tfi coil is a very solid system. The old non digital msd boxes are a little more reliable than the new digital ones too.
                1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• acct21
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 20, 2014

I was having fits with the (what looked like the original) Duraspark ignition box. The aftermarket one from NAPA was DOA, so went ahead and replaced the ignition with an MSD (which with an adapter harness from MSD plugs directly into the Motorcraft distributor). Also switched over to the Ford E-core coil, big cap and new wires.

Starts and runs better, and no hiccups after a year.
                  1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• SJTD
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 26, 2012

I prefer compression ignition systems.
                    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• bufurd
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 13, 2008

Originally posted by SJTD
                      I prefer compression ignition systems.

That said my choice is a points dizzy with a Petronix unit in it, very reliable without the fiddling.
                      That's what's in Abner, Bufurd and Delta. All have been flawless.
                      Current fleet
                      Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
                      Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
                      Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
                      Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
                      07 JK Wife bought new...
                      13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• NO6YHY
                        258 I6
                        • Jan 11, 2004

Originally posted by tgreese
                        Use points to trigger a MSD module. The points will last a looooong time, since all they do is trigger the module. The module takes over the stressful coil switching. If the module fails, you can disconnect it and run points ignition till a full repair is possible.

The OEM Delco distributors on these Jeeps are very good, as points distributors go. I think the Durasparks also are good, except for their terrible connectors ... maybe clip it off and replace with a Weatherpack. The aftermarket Duraspark modules seem pretty junky ... but you can run a HEI module or a MSD module with the Duraspark distro.
                        Can points be used with a TFI coil, and will the spark be as strong? I'd hate to lose the benefits of the stronger spark with my TFI upgrade, but would like the reliability of points.
                        \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by NO6YHY
                          Can points be used with a TFI coil, and will the spark be as strong? I'd hate to lose the benefits of the stronger spark with my TFI upgrade, but would like the reliability of points.
                          That would not be my choice. It's probably ok, but the higher inductive kick from the hot coil might wear out the points faster. IDK.

The Duraspark module is just a big transistor that switches the coil. There is no spark enhancement going on inside the module. So the spark intensity will not be any different between the Duraspark module and points.

I was not suggesting running the TFI coil and points. However, the TFI coil combined with points and the MSD module would be fine. That's a spark upgrade - a longer, hotter spark - over just the TFI coil and Duraspark module.
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• kansasboy001
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 06, 2016

Points are the most reliable and inherently emp hardened, but modern magnetic pick-up distributors are pretty reliable. Even the factory motorcraft worked perfectly for 30+ years with only needing 1 new cap. And the msd dist is built even better. True magnetic pick-up distributors are much more reliable than the pertronix conversion and close in reliability to points
                            1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• NO6YHY
                              258 I6
                              • Jan 11, 2004

Well, it's not the reliability of the distributor I'm worried about as much as the reliability of the ignition module. Using points lets me ditch the module.

Tgreese, you say you're not sure whether the TFI coil will be bad for the points, but you then say to use the points with MSD module and TFI coil. Does that not pose the same problem?

Maybe I should just change the module to MSD and not worry about points. But I've heard that even those go out.
                              \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

Working...
                              X