York compressor failure.. Brand freaking new unit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beach_Dude
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 03, 2011

York compressor failure.. Brand freaking new unit!

So, after doing everything to a Tee, brand new EVERYTHING, including a Brand Freaking NEW York compressor, not a rebuild, All new custom hoses, new evaporator, Evap switch, condenser & Dyer, this happens...

I'm almost down to the second can of R12, gauge is high, around 50PSI on the low side because I'm charging, almost 4 - 8 OZ of freon more to go to get to factory specs for the compressor and unit, then all of a sudden, BOOM!

Cover my face, fear set in, shut the motor down instantly, and there's dye ALL OVER THE BACK SIDE OF THE UNIT!

No hoses blown, nothing. So, it's either the rear seal of the compressor or the washer on the oil drain plug failed.

I AM SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW!!!
    1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    360 w/ MC 4350
    All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
    Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

The York has a blow off valve in the rear. It blows when there's too much head pressure.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Beach_Dude
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 03, 2011

So, just clean the dye off and it's good?

Probably too wet on the charge could cause that?
      1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
      360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

In case you want to know more about Yorks.....

Comment

• bkilby
          350 Buick
          • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by Beach_Dude
          So, just clean the dye off and it's good?

Probably too wet on the charge could cause that?
          Too much freon maybe. And don't add freon with oil. New Yorks come with oil already. Wouldn't hurt to check the oil level though.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

That’s not what happened to mine...
            Mine was DOA, wouldn’t build pressure and NOISY.
            Metal in oil when I drained it as well.

Did you flush/check new hoses? Mine had debris in them, would have easily plugged the expansion valve had I not found. Little pieces of hose(s) from cutting/installing hose ends?
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Beach_Dude
              327 Rambler
              • Mar 03, 2011

Connected everything back up and ran a test on pressure at idle.

Roughly 80+ on low side

Roughly 90+ on high side.

Compressor officially dead?
              1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
              360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Curly5759
                232 I6
                • Mar 08, 2015

I had a brand new York compressor fail after only 20 miles. I had drained and refilled the compressor with the correct type/amount of oil. After 20 miles it was still cooling but the unit was knocking badly. Had to replace it. Since then all is good.
                77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                  327 Rambler
                  • Mar 03, 2011

All AC people, would 80+ on low side and roughly 90+ on high side be a dead compressor?

Because I'll do another swap this weekend if needed.

Somebody chime in.
                  1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                  360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

How exactly are you charging system?
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                      327 Rambler
                      • Mar 03, 2011

How am I charging the system..?

I mean, like step by step or the method?

High and low sides connected, cans of r12, and filling system until specific levels are reached. :P

I'm probably going to replace the high side service valve(s) now sice the high side unit leaks like made!

I've found that earlier mustang parts are identical.

Does anybody know if the suction and high side both use the same size diameter flare fitting?

Obviously I'm going to find out, but need to wait till I get the system evacuated.

If anyone has a direct part reference, shout it out!
                      1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                      360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                        • Jan 09, 2011

A couple things come to my mind.

One: I have never seen a pressure relief valve built into a York compressor. I've seen them on the bottom of receiver/dryers, but not on the compressors. Even so, those relief valves are set for 400-600 PSI.

Two: You know the system has to be evacuated for at least 20 minutes to remove all the air before you charge it with refrigerant, right? A system containing refrigerant and air won't work. You need refrigerant only.

Three: 80-90 PSI on both the suction and discharge sides of the compressor is normal when the system is not running. The pressure of a non-running system is determined by the ambient temperature, not the charge level. A running system will be around 20 PSI on the suction side and 150 PSI on the discharge side, depending on a lot of things.

Four: The most accurate way to charge one of these systems is by watching the sight glass on the line between the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve. The glass needs to be clear (liquid only). Any bubbles mean the system is either low or contains air. These expansion valve systems are VERY tolerant on their charge level. Basically so long as there is enough refrigerant to maintain a constant flow of liquid to the expansion valve and not so much refrigerant that the receiver/dryer is completely full, then it will work perfectly. There is no "It cools slightly worse because it is low on charge" with these. They basically either cool to full capacity, or don't cool at all.
                        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                          327 Rambler
                          • Mar 03, 2011

Would it be safe to assume that the AC clutch being engaged and turning, with standard York Compressor charging noises would indicated that the compressor is on or could it still be off?

Still curious on the diameter of the flare side differences between the high and low side service valves though... Totally should have taken note on that when I had them made.
                          1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                          360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                            327 Rambler
                            • Mar 03, 2011

Just in case anyone is interested, here's a supplier for a ton of service valves and the two I purchased:

R12 Tube O-Ring Backseat Valve With # 8 Male Flare Thread

R12 Tube O-Ring Backseat Valve With # 10 Male Flare Thread
                            Agricultural Air Conditioning, Air Conditioning Parts and Supplies, Condensers, Evaporator, Radiator, Blower, Switches
                            1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                            360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• TexasJ10
                              360 AMC
                              • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by Beach_Dude
                              Would it be safe to assume that the AC clutch being engaged and turning, with standard York Compressor charging noises would indicated that the compressor is on or could it still be off?

Still curious on the diameter of the flare side differences between the high and low side service valves though... Totally should have taken note on that when I had them made.
                              I'm not sure what you are asking here. From your post below you identify the valves you purchased as being low side #10 (5/8"), and high side #8 (1/2").
                              * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                              * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                              . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                              * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

Working...
                              X