• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calebwoodard
    232 I6
    • Feb 21, 2017

Lift Kit Removal

Im looking to remove the lift kit on my 88 grand wagoneer (was on there when I bought it). I dont know anything about lift kits, I dont even know what kind it is on it. I think im going to need new leaf springs in the back though. Ive got some pics so if anyone knows what kind of lift it has or how to remove it I would appreciate the advice.

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Hmmm, looks like all the other lift kits I've seen. Normally, there will be Part numbers painted on the spring.

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

The springs are the lift kit. You have springs and longer shackles in the front, and springs and blocks in the rear. To remove them, you'll need to buy new factory-style springs and install them. Just removing the shackles and blocks won't make much difference.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Calebwoodard
        232 I6
        • Feb 21, 2017

Ok, do you guys know of any vehicles that I could say....find in a junkyard that would have the same springs on it that a wagoneer came with stock? I know a lot of the parts on a wagoneer are sourced from other cars and even other car companys. For example I know my steering column is GM. Buying new springs is gonna be high would be nice to get them out of a jukyard.

Comment

• ZackN920
          350 Buick
          • Nov 18, 2015

Springs that are the same, arn't one of them parts!
          1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
          Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
          ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Calebwoodard
            232 I6
            • Feb 21, 2017

Well that sucks. Hopefully I can find a wagoneer in a jumkyard somewhere today. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Just so you know. J truck springs will fit also--just a little stiffer.

Comment

• ZackN920
                350 Buick
                • Nov 18, 2015

Wouldn't the rear j-truck springs make the back of a wagon sit up higher? Pick-ups are commonly set up like that, so I would think so, but honestly idk...
                1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Probesport
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 15, 2015

Originally posted by Calebwoodard
                  Well that sucks. Hopefully I can find a wagoneer in a jumkyard somewhere today. Thanks for the help guys.
                  I don't know your area, but usually you can find a spring shop that will do whatever style springs you need. Building leaf springs is super common and still a decent industry. Look for a spring and axle shop in your area and give them a ring, You may be surprised at the prices - they really arent that bad usually.
                  Ken S.
                  Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                  Megasquirt EFI
                  : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
                  Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                  Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

Working...
                  X