• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tin Medic
    Loose (lug)Nut(s)
    • Mar 21, 2011

Tint Removal

Does anyone know of a way to remove what I believe is the factory tint from an 89 GW? The tint has been scratched and nicked and anything else you can think of and I need to replace it. Thanks.
    Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
    Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch
  • Michael_King024
    258 I6
    • Jul 23, 2010

flat razor and warm soapy water
    Big Mike
    83 wag limited-360-
    89 G.wag -360-
    "10-4 rubber duck"
    "In GOD we trust..all others pay cash"
    -mat. 21:42-

Comment

• Chrome
      Ph.D in Redneckology
      • Aug 30, 2002

Factory tint is made into the glass. Aftermarket is applied to the glass. If it peels thens it's aftermarket. Here's a "How to" I posted on tinting windows. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...highlight=tint

X2 on the razor and soapy water.
      ..,=====,o00o
      //__l_l_,\____\,__
      l_---\_l__l---0
      lllllll0
      _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• Tin Medic
        Loose (lug)Nut(s)
        • Mar 21, 2011

This is definately aftermarket tint.
        Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
        Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• lunchbox1671
          350 Buick
          • Sep 22, 2010

Be careful on your rear window, if you have a defroster. You can scratch the material off the glass...
          1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
          -AMC 360 with RV cam
          -T-15A, Dana 20
          -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
          -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• Daddio
            258 I6
            • Dec 13, 2008

I found a tip to remove tint online and it worked great for me. Take some plastic garbage bags and cut them to fit your the inside of your windows. Use windex with ammonia and spay the tint. Next put the plastic bag on top of the windex and let it sit for a at least 15 minutes. If it dries out, reapply some more windex.

What happens is the tint adhesive softens and it comes off much easier. Most of my tint just peeled off.
            '88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWCj...layer_embedded

Comment

• Jeepster4ever
              232 I6
              • Jul 04, 2010

It's true

Originally posted by Daddio
              I found a tip to remove tint online and it worked great for me. Take some plastic garbage bags and cut them to fit your the inside of your windows. Use windex with ammonia and spay the tint. Next put the plastic bag on top of the windex and let it sit for a at least 15 minutes. If it dries out, reapply some more windex.

What happens is the tint adhesive softens and it comes off much easier. Most of my tint just peeled off.
              I use this method all the time if the tint on a heated window doesn't want to completely pull off or you can also try heating up a square foot at a time with a heat gun and then gently pulling at a chunk of the tinting to see if it will come off that way.

For all the other windows use the saftey blades but makes sure you keep getting new ones for at least every window as they can scratch the glass if there sharp edge gets bent or nicked.

Comment

• Michael_King024
                258 I6
                • Jul 23, 2010

for me windex and other glass cleaners have always made the adhesive harder to get off...its like it cryatalizes it almost...i will pull the tint off..and normally a layer of adhesive remains on the glass...then i spray it with the soapy water and let it sit for a minute....usually the adhesive will soften enough that you dont actually need a razor at all...
                you should use soapy water instead of windex when applying tint also...like i said windex will crystalize the adhesive and drastically shortens the working time needed to form and squeege the film and remove the bubbles
                the only time ive ever used a heat gun is to apply tint film and that is only when i needed to "mold" the film for curves in the glass...and even then a little goes a long way
                Big Mike
                83 wag limited-360-
                89 G.wag -360-
                "10-4 rubber duck"
                "In GOD we trust..all others pay cash"
                -mat. 21:42-

Comment

• 3rdelement
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 25, 2009

goto walmart, they have a good tint removal kit. i used it for the liquid and the razor holder. after you get off as much as you can, then go over it with goo gone and then with windex.
                  Richard Ricketts
                  build thread: click HERE
                  1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks

Comment

Working...
                  X