Front springs in the rear, can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadironrat
    258 I6
    • Mar 25, 2008

Ok so dumb question, why does the rear need to flex so much more then the front? I have plenty of flex out of my front springs and never pick up tires, why wouldn't that much flex be enough in the rear?

I really like the other ideas you guys have suggested and I may end up using one of them down the road when I have more money. As for right now I can throw in the front springs about move the rear hanger for under $50. Of course thats not counting if I'll need to shorten the drive shaft.

The best way to learn is through trial and error, and I've never heard of anyone doing this and it may acutally work pretty well. I know I'll lose some flex, but I'm going to gain alot of depature. I've wheeled it a fair bit and I never even come close to maxing out my springs unless I try, on the other hand I drag the rear bumper all the time.

How many of you guys that are running stock springs pick up front tires on a regular basis?
    Jacob Z

1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, work in progress

Comment

• Dmntxn77
      Hey watch this...
      • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by deadironrat
      How many of you guys that are running stock springs pick up front tires on a regular basis?
      Most wheelers will pick up there front tires pretty much non-stop...

Depending on the terrain of course...

Originally posted by deadironrat
      Ok so dumb question, why does the rear need to flex so much more then the front? I have plenty of flex out of my front springs and never pick up tires, why wouldn't that much flex be enough in the rear?
      Its not so much that the rear needs to flex MORE than the front. The point is to get as much flex as possible out of both the front and the rear.

The amount of front flex is limited due the the steering. Unless you run full hydro, steering linkage will bind with too much flex.

Now, a reason to get more flex out of the rear is due to the fact that it is the drive axle, and if you want to move, you need the tires to get traction. Since you have a front spool your situation is a bit different.... BUT... More traction is always better and in order to get that traction, your suspension needs to allow your tires to find the terra...

Comment

• deadironrat
        258 I6
        • Mar 25, 2008

I agree, the more flex you can get the better, but I have to do something and this sure sounds like a good trade off to me. Like I said I never do any rock crawling and I've never even picked up a tire unless on an RTI ramp. I do mud and trails and approach and departure is very important for dropping off into mud holes, and driving through things like creek beds. If it ends up sucking horrible I'm not out much money anyways.
        Jacob Z

Comment

• Dmntxn77
          Hey watch this...
          • Nov 19, 2004

Yep, its a near free mod...

If you are set on it, then go for it... I am not trying to be all negative. There is something to be said for trying someting new.

It wouldnt work for me, but that does not mean that it wont be great for you....
          Last edited by Dmntxn77; 02-23-2009, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
            350 Buick
            • May 25, 2005

Bad idea. You want to move the axle forward cuz you keep dragging the BACK end off? Leave it be. Dove it bob it. Wheel the tires off.
            77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• bigun
              • Feb 10, 2003

If your dragging either bob it or move the axle back
              charlie
              KB0HXA
              "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
              congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
              How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
              Robert A. Heinlein
              The birth of CROM is recorded here
              http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Gearhead 1990
                258 I6
                • Dec 18, 2006

but he also said he would cut the frame at the springs thus giving him better departure, and it would move the axle forward giving a better breakover angle..... from my experience, a shorter wheelbase works very well on trails.... but like said before, its your truck, build it however you want to.
                No jeeps at the moment

Comment

• deadironrat
                  258 I6
                  • Mar 25, 2008

I'm going to cut off the frame behind the springs after I do it. The entire reason I want to do it is because the front springs are alot shorter, that will allow me to cut off alot more of the frame and give me alot better departure angle.

So in a way I am going to be bobbing it, I'm just moving the axle forward and bobbing it alot more.
                  Jacob Z

Comment

• deadironrat
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
                    Bad idea. You want to move the axle forward cuz you keep dragging the BACK end off? Leave it be. Dove it bob it. Wheel the tires off.

Yes, I want to move the axle forward because I am dragging the back end... Now go read the rest of the post.

If I stick with the longer rear springs in the back it is 32" from the center line on the spring to the shackle. That means I have at least 32 inches of overhang behind the rear wheels that I can do nothing about. If I swap in a pair of front springs they are only 24 1/2 inches from the center line to the shackle. That means I could have as little as 24 inches behind the rear wheels instead of 32 inches. I could even go as far as to run stock front springs backwards and have only 22 1/2 inches behind the rear tire, and then I would only move the axle forward two inches. That last option is probably what I'm going to do.

Yes I'm going to lose some flex, but I'm going to gain some break over and alot of departure. If nothing else this will be a fun experiment and learning experience.
                    Jacob Z

Comment

• deadironrat
                      258 I6
                      • Mar 25, 2008

Ok I got the bed off today and was able to take some measurements. It looks like after flipping and moving the shackle I should be able to cut off about 18 1/2 of the rear frame.
                      Jacob Z

Comment

• Elliott
                        Cowboy Up
                        • Jun 22, 2002

So you are shooting for ~102" wb? You do know the primary reason that Broncos suck don't you.
                        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• deadironrat
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Elliott
                          So you are shooting for ~102" wb? You do know the primary reason that Broncos suck don't you.

I'm not going to make my wheel base 18 inches shorter, only 2 inches shorter. Thats 18 inches of extra frame that I will be able to cut off behind the rear shackle hanger.
                          Jacob Z

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Whewpf... actually Cheros wheel awesome on 109" if you do wanna move it up more. That seems to be about the same wb a lot of hard core baby Jeep driver's shoot for too... oddly enough. bwa ha

Take some pics of your mod and let us know how it wheels... gotta feeling it'll be on the trails long before my '65 comes out of the shop.
                            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• deadironrat
                              258 I6
                              • Mar 25, 2008

Update:

I removed the bed yesterday and today I took off the rear bumper and some old exhaust hangers. After that I gave it a good wash and started painted the frame with some under coating I had, I ran out before I was completely finished but it already looks better. Now I know so here you go:

By the way is a rear step bumper in good shape worth anything to anyone or is it just scrap metal now?

Jacob Z

Comment

• Elliott
                                Cowboy Up
                                • Jun 22, 2002

There's a post looking for one in the wanted section. Funny how much shorter the WB looks when the bed is removed... I'd swear it looks like moved the axle forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X