Checking QT chain slack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking QT chain slack?

I have been following the topic on drive train slop with great interest. I would like to thank evreyone for all the info posted on this board.

On a related topic, how do you check for QT chain slack? The '77 TSM say to thread a gage into the check hole and if the gage plunger extends the chain is bad. What's the backyard mechanic approach? Can one simply put a screw driver into the hole and feel for slack also what would be an acceptabe range?

Thanks,
    Dave

EXACTLY!!! Get a screwdriver in the hole and take all the slack out of the chain (make sure there is no tension on the driveline... you will get a false reading)best to do it up on jacks in Neutral. Mark the shaft of the screwdriver with your finger against the case and slowly Pull it out until you don't fell the chain resting on the tip. Mark the distance and measure it. I was told 1/2" to 3/4" of play and no more. When I originally did mine... I had 1 1/4" of slop!!! My new chain after install had less the 1/4". Teh new chain took alot of slop from the drivetrain.

------------------
    TJ
    78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
    360/TH400/QT
    Dana 44's w/ 3.54's (soon to be 4.88's)
    7" SOA conversion
    4" Skyjacker Softride
    3" Trailmaster Bodylift
    33x12.50's on 15x10's
    (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
    My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
    "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Thanks TJ, this is exactly the info I need.

Comment

Working...
      X