• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by Mikel
    I have a better one. I had a fender/inner fender/front panel that had all been welded together
    Sounds like you where part way to having a unibody.
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

Spray foam between the rear fenders and flares to fill rust holes...
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Brynjminjones
        258 I6
        • Jun 11, 2017

The P.O. of mine had apparently tried to fix the non-functioning windshield washer.

He disconnected the pump, then extended the wire from the rear washer to reach the front washer pump.
        The result was that the front washer switch did nothing, the rear washer switch operated the front washer and the rear washer was disconnected.

I put the wiring back as it should be and found the wiper module connector under the dash was loose. Clicked it back in and now everything is back to working 100%.
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
        1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
          He disconnected the pump, then extended the wire from the rear washer to reach the front washer pump.
          The result was that the front washer switch did nothing, the rear washer switch operated the front washer and the rear washer was disconnected.
          HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
            I have owned my GW for 17 years. It was in good shape and had 95K on it when I got it. All, I mean ALL teh DSPO stuff on it is MINE.

Same here, the 74 had 78K in 1983, all the hacks are mine!

Great reading when the pain kicks in at 4am and waiting for the good stuff to work
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Old Ironsides
              258 I6
              • Jul 06, 2014

When I bought the '75 the TC was locked, and the PO had installed locking hubs which were running "free". The cardan joint was wasted. Needless to say, when I opened the TC to rebuild, the front brake cone splines were badly stripped.

The PO had installed a aux gas tank, abandoned the original, and had rigged a fuel selector valve under the front seat. The original tank, when I dropped to restore to service, was filled with a quart of fluff. Surprisingly the tank was not rusted and I brought it back to service.

He also drilled the bottom of the dash and installed a temp gauge instead of replacing the original.

But the best thing he did was install a cow horn, which I kept and my boys love it!
              Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
              Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
              '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
              '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                232 I6
                • Jun 18, 2018

Just bought a 67' Gladiator.

It was bought by a flipper - he admitted as much - from a family who'd kept it for probably 30 years and sent 2 generations of kids to college in it.

That said, it was in **amazing** condition, and mostly stock.

I'm assuming the flipper couldn't get the electric choke to work and put a cheap auto store choke cable on it. Dang shame because other than the choke cable, the dash is original and uncut.

Comment

• Jonny Mac
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 19, 2015

PO rewired some things wrong, "attempted" to fix the body, "solved" the vacuum line mess (not even sure what that meant). Had the trans and engine rebuilt but then let it sit for years; so it's rebuilt, but I am sure the seals are questionable at best.
                  - Mac

89 Grand Wagoneer - Work in progress

Deployed to support the Jeep

Comment

• ZackN920
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 18, 2015

Little things on mine. Some things like odd blobs of caulk/silicone here and there on the damn TRIMWORK! and junk like that. Also had some odd vacuum line junk that I fixed that was one of the PO's fault. For mine, its more like what they DIDN'T do. (just let it rust away, don't bother with no protection)

I also now wonder what the hell happened to the clear coat. I think the PO that I bought it from might have killed it with something. Probably washed it with some questionable chemicals. I wonder this because I recently found pics of my Wag dated 2012 and it had PERFECT clear coat, yet when I bought it in 2015, it was all pretty much gone on the flat surfaces. I don't think clear coat comes off that fast naturally. It should have had spotty clear coat on it if it was starting to deteriorate from '12, if it happened naturally.

I don't know if any of you "older" members remember it, but I have the wagon that was once "Frankenstein" when the PO before me bought it. That was something dumb, and a sight to be seen. It was an original grill (rhino) that was mounted inside the original "final" grill which had be cut to accept it.

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

AAAHHHH! My eyes! My eyes!
                      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• scout4bta
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 26, 2018

One of the POs had tried to repair the fusible link to the ignition switch thats on the starter relay. Instead of buying a piece of fusible link or even wire he just twisted the burnt wires together and left them exposed.
                        1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

• ddversatile
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 08, 2017

Weld the fender onto inner fender
                          1968 Jeep Gladiator J-3000 327 Vigilante V8, T-18 transmission, Dana 20 Transfer Case (Twin Stick), Dana 44 full float in the front and semi float 53 in the rear. 4.09 axles
                          1972 GMC 1500 basket-case (300$ buy )

Comment

• AM Woody
                            258 I6
                            • Jan 11, 2003

My GW had wood paneling on the insides of the cargo area. Looked sort of okay from a distance but I decided to go back stock. Also they were held in by the side window trim piece, so you had to unscrew the one side to get to the jack (as you know that trim piece also holds the side glass in.) Meanwhile, there was a rust hole happening behind one rear wheel on an otherwise solid body - turns out he had stuck a pair of cotton work gloves in with the jack that were just collecting moisture down there for who knows how long.
                            - Andy M.

89 Grand Wagoneer. Status: Operational
                            92 XJ Laredo. Original family owners
                            00 XJ Limited. T-boned. Need new body
                            00 XJ Limited RWD
                            06 TJ Rubicon. Original owners

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                              258 I6
                              • Jun 11, 2017

AM Woody, the gloves in the rear quarter sounds familiar. I found all sorts of filthy rags and things in mine that were doing everything they could to make the quarters rust.
                              1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                              1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                              1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• 661warwagon
                                232 I6
                                • Apr 21, 2016

Installed a flowmaster dual exhaust

Comment

Working...
                                X