X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • welchct
    232 I6
    • May 04, 2005

I'm sorry but putting a wag on rocks will not be cheap. Half assing it will not necisarily make the build cheaper once on the trail. just because it is posible to put it on rocks for $2000 with some stuff you have laying around does not mean it's right.

Now for the cheap yes a 205 will hold up to any abuse you through at it. Yes there there is a huge aftermarket following for the 205. Yes it can be doubled, twin sticked, low-max'ed and divorced. So if you must its is a good cheap case

But dont go into a build of this stacher with the intent of skimping on your most important components.

P.S. who wants to go easy on the skiny pedal. With the wight of a rockwell equiped FSJ you will need momenom and tire speed to concor many obsticles. Perhaps Desert Beast can atest to this.
    FSJ buggy
    5.3/4l60e/flipped 300
    60/70 locked with 6.16's
    4 link/flipped waggys
    PSC hydro
    42" Iroks/ double bead locks

79 cherokee WT
    390/401 heads/727/208
    60/60 locked 5.15's
    spring over/shackle reversal
    38" sx's

00 TJ unders the knife
    6.2 gen4/4l60e/doubled 4:1 231's
    60/60 35 spl. detroits/5.13
    coilovers
    42" tsl's

Comment

• 85woody
      232 I6
      • Jun 04, 2002

I definately would like to do a doubler rather than throw in some low gears and just have one case. I don't wanna have that large of a jump from high to low gear. So I am probably gonna have to drop some dough.

The best option I am looking into is Northwest Fabworks's planetary gear box($1500) and put an output kit on the dana 20( about $500) shiiite. That's 2 grand not including driveshafts, shifters, etc.

On the other hand once I add the rocks my crawl ratio will be about 200:1!!!

Comment

• scotty
        • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
        and for an outlay of cash in the hundreds (low hundreds) you could run that D20 (with NO adapters - on the trans you ALREADY have) thru a short driveshaft (100 bucks if you have it made....) to a 100 to 200 dollar divorced NP205 (or 200 if you had one laying around) and have a setup with a 4:1 bottom range, and 32 spline outputs out of the box.

yeah, he should definitely drop 1200 bucks building a D300.....

peace
        Dave
        im definately with dave on this one. you can use a ford 205 if you could live with a driver drop front. that would eliminate having to cut and plate the d20 for front drivesahft clearance(tho i myself had been contemplating that,a really slick idea )

stock 300 tailsahft is not much different than stock 20 tailahft,so save those arguments. the d300 is still basically a half ton,light duty transfer case that must be BUILT in order to be compareable to stronger cases.

the d20 is allready there,and 205s are cheap and bulletproof. any gear reduction that you add behind the d20 is going to help the tailshaft live,so no real need to upgrade the tailsahft until breakage becomes a big issue,IMO.

i beat on my d20s pretty hard and ive only broken 1 tailsahft in the last several years(knocking on wodden desk ). it even holds up well in my scout ii,wich runs really crappy gears( a close t19,4.10s in the axle) and a very torquey 345 that spinning the 38" hawgs.

the d20 is not bulletproof,but they arent so bad as mr welcht claims them to be,either.

now ya have my 2 cents as well
        Last edited by scotty; 12-03-2007, 04:41 AM.
        scotty
        85 grand wagoneer
        258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
        38" TSL SXs
        chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• tylerd13
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 15, 2007

I wouldn't add a reduction box to a dana 20... if your gunna spend dough, go with a 203/205 doubler which will be cheaper.. and your thinking about spending 2000 g's on a d20 set up just buy a atlas or stak.. but thats just my opinion
          77 Cherokee 360/sm465/205, 1 tons, 38's
          84 4runner on 35's

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
            304 AMC
            • Feb 02, 2006

not adding a reduction box to a D20. turning the existing D20 into a reduction box. no longer a transfer case. no front output. keeps original trans, no adapters, just a short driveshaft to a nearly bulletproof NP205.

peace
            Dave
            There is no way to rule innocent men.
            The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
            Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
            One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• tylerd13
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 15, 2007

ohh my bad, that doesn't seem like to bad of an idea. I was going to use something like that except a dana 300 and 205.
              77 Cherokee 360/sm465/205, 1 tons, 38's
              84 4runner on 35's

Comment

• jeepboy69
                Banned
                • Nov 29, 2007

i still say go np205 and it would solve every thing and wouldnt have any breakage.

Comment

• 85woody
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 04, 2002

What year's are the divorced NP205's, and were they only in the fords (driver side drop)?

Comment

• Elliott
                    Cowboy Up
                    • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by 85woody
                    What year's are the divorced NP205's, and were they only in the fords (driver side drop)?
                    As far as I know the only driver's drop divorced 205's were Ford, for passenger drop they came in IH also.
                    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• shimniok
                      360 AMC
                      • Jan 08, 2003

I say buy what the truck really needs to go the places you really need to go.

Michael
                      Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
                      1986 Grand Wagoneer "Troubled Child" ? tc.wagoneer.org ? Facebook ? KØFSJ
                      Stock 360, TBI, 727 with TransGo, NP208, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MT, WT Axles, Lock Right & ARB, OBA

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 02, 2006

70's dodges and IHC's were pass drop divorced units.

i vote the T-18 that you already own, plus the D20 that you already own. cut down. into a bullet proof NP205 / NP200 divorced. and flip the rear springs to stretch the wheelbase. (or of course the 63" Gm's) 4 to 1, strong, cheap.

peace
                        Dave
                        There is no way to rule innocent men.
                        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• 85woody
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 04, 2002

Thanks Dave, that's the plan I am gonna try. Now I have to go to some junkyards and find a divorced NP205.

Comment

• jeepboy69
                            Banned
                            • Nov 29, 2007

yeah np205s win again i have a gm style one for sale itll bolt to your tranny you have now with a 100 or 200 dollar adapter

Comment

Working...
                            X