• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 831wagger
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 05, 2012

7.3 idi swap in 66 wagoneer

http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0started my 7.3 swap with an idi and banks turbo, zf 5 manual trans. any ideas for radiator size?
    Last edited by 831wagger; 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM.
    66 wagoneer 7.3 liter international turbo Diesel v8 Zf 5 manual. D44hd front AMC 20 rear 3.31 32 11.5 all terrians
  • 831wagger
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 05, 2012

and yes it is all in the body frame. with transfer case
    66 wagoneer 7.3 liter international turbo Diesel v8 Zf 5 manual. D44hd front AMC 20 rear 3.31 32 11.5 all terrians

Comment

• Diesel YJ
      258 I6
      • Jan 05, 2010

Sweet, do you have a picture upload site? I would be interested seeing your build. I have considered a 6.9 more so then the 7.3 but both are great. I would go with a 4 core if you can find one. I had a site that had good prices on 3 and 4 core heavy duty radiators for swaps like this, I will see if I can find them for you, good prices.
      2000 WJ Grocery Getter and RC approved, 4'' Lift.
      1983 Wagoneer Limted - Future tow rig
      1988 Grand Wagoneer - All stock but super sexy and clean.
      1989 6.2L Turbo diesel YJ, 6.5'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Christmas tree air freshener.

Comment

• 831wagger
        230 Tornado
        • Feb 05, 2012

phone broke working on photos need to find my camera. 7.3 ps intercooler in waiting on my griffin radiator

Comment

• nc wagoneer
          350 Buick
          • May 08, 2012

How well does it fit? Did you have to beef up the front suspension? My dads 87 f-350 cc long bed 4x4 with a swapped in 6.9 is GREAT, it has 3.55's and a zf5 in it and averages 20mpg (hand calculated ver and over to check and make sure) around town. It's a monster with a turned up ip and a 3-4 inch lift and a 3 inch pipe all the way back
          old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
          Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
          "BROWED AND PROUD"
          Originally posted by fulsizjeep
          Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

Originally posted by 831wagger
            started my 7.3 swap with an idi and banks turbo, zf 5 manual trans. any ideas for radiator size?
            i sure hope you upgraded the axles.
            85 gw 215k and still going
            castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
            89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

The steering box on the frame won't handle steering with the extra weight either (they tear off)
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• 831wagger
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 05, 2012

yep bracing up steering box adding 4th bolt in, fired it up my vacuum assist clutch works too.

Comment

• budojeepr
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 02, 2006

Where did you mount the intercooler? I've struggled with finding a good spot.
                  Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

I would beef the frame a bit too. The older wags had frame crack issues on the front horn of the driver's side. That's why later models were beefed up there.
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Resbum
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jun 16, 2010

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Resbum
                      Originally posted by Resbum
                      "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Oh please take pics. I've got enough gimpy body parts and too much moss growing on my butt to whole heartedly attempt such a swap but do have a 6.9L with full running gear donor and a tired wag crying for me to get enthusiastic about the organ donor program. Be great to see how the 7.3 fits even w/o the intercooler stuff. I don't have any of that stuff anyway. Figure if the plain jane dsl motor dressed in Ford clothing didn't need it then. Landing it in a Kaiser Suit won't change it's soul. Pics when ya can please.
                        joe
                        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Bryans89GW
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jul 26, 2011

Griffin!

I see you went with a griffin, I did the same when i did the cummins in my wagoneer. It actually works too well, i have the stock fan clutch in mine and it does not go over 130 degrees haha

Comment

• Waco-kid
                            230 Tornado
                            • Jun 22, 2012

Have you got any pictures of this? The idi is a big beast, I wanna see how it fits in the engine bay, and what you do with the battery and heater core. I like how your doing something different though. Ive thought about swapping a 6.9l in my J10 should the 360 ever give up. My Daily Driver has the 7.3l idi in it, its a great motor, gets 21mpg and can easily run 70 with a load on it. My neighbor has an '86 F250 4x4 with a 6.9 in it and it can get just about anywhere in the mud with a big round-bale over the back of it and him in 4 wheel hi and running WOT. You wont be disappointed with the idi.
                            1982 Jeep J10 Laredo
                            AMC 360 V8 Howell GM OBD1 EFI kit
                            727 Auto
                            NP208
                            80,000 miles

1981 Jeep CJ5 AMC 150 T5 Dana 300

Comment

• junkr
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 28, 2012

Dont really need a super duty cooling system for a wag/diesel combo.Diesel is far more thermodynamically efficient than a gasser.Your wag doesnt have the frame/body/suspension structure to handle super heavy loads to need the extra heat disappation (you wont work it hard enough) Been driving diesel for many years,and IDI's do run a little warmer than DI because of heat sync in the pre combustion chamber,but negligeable at best.Its hard to get many even up to operating temp without a load,esp Cummins.6.9's/7.3's are a great engine with good low end grunt and smooth idle compared to a inline design.Remember,diesel throttles with fuel,gas throttles with air.If you aint putting the coal to her for extended/loaded situation,she will not overwhelm your cooling system.
                              1968 M715,4bt/46rh/205 with KP60/14HP going in any day 1980 j10 short box 1998XJ

Comment

Working...
                              X